Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
What a beautifully designed sportscar!
One glance and you can see it's perfect, ...and it doesn't have to
"Grow On You" ....like a wort.
All it takes is one glance. And you see why its an exotic. Beautiful and aggressive design.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I complained and was told to withhold judgement until actual photos of the car appeared. Now, when I say that the actual car is even worse than the worst of all the pre-reveal renderings, I'm being told to withhold judgement until I see the car in person. I'm guessing that, when I leave the NAIAS next week shaking my head in disgust, I'll be told to give the C7 time to "grow on me" before passing judgement. Apparently, it should be like getting used to living with an infirmity. I'm supposed to just buy one and shut up about it.

Hmmm. I can still remember the exact moment that I saw my first photo of a C3 back in '67, because I was so totally smitten by the car. My first glimpse of a C4...first C6...the same thing: blown out of my skin with lust. A Corvette is not a car that you need. It's a car that you want. I'm in my late 50s now, and when I finish selling off my small "fleet" of vehicles, I'll be looking to purchase what may well be my last expensive sports car. I refuse to drop $70k+ on a car that I have to look away from when I approach it, no matter how good of a car it may be mechanically. Even more emphatically than with the C5, Chevy has completely lost me with this car...

Also, use of the Stingray name on this car is a travesty. The design of the original Corvette Sting Ray was inspired by an exotic, beautiful sea creature. The design of this car was inspired by the Clown Fish, the Camaro and several other cars. The front and rear are both ugly and, overall, it's way too busy. Speed Racer would like this car, and he's welcome to it...

Last edited by 1analguy; 01-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting "pureswank" and thanks to "triumph jerry" for your response! I started this thread with some simple observations, the C7 is too sharp and angular and it seems to be trying to morph itself into a Corvette! Look at the Viper, long smooth rounded curves, the body flows unlike the new C7 that seems to have a break point everywhere you look! The Viper has an identity where it seems the new Vette doesn't. I wanted to like the C7 just as much as anyone but it is my feeling they really missed it with the design, who were they trying to reach with this car, certainly not the Corvette loyalists! I find it hard to believe that with all the focus groups they must have listened to (NOT) they came up with this car! SWING AND A MISS......
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
birdog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. When I get rid of my C6 I guess I'll get a Mustang.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM
durangomania
3rd Gear

My very first thought.....1970's Datsun 240Z
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSwank
I'll lighten up the thread for a bit.

whippie it looks like the original
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
We get the best performing and best built GM cars has ever made. Period. Company gets bailed out, we get the Camaro 1LE/ZL1, Corvette GS/Z06/ZR1, CTS-V, this C7 and its variants, the ATS and its future variants, the Cobalt SS, the Regal GS, the upcoming Chevy SS, etc, etc

Too bad some are too stuck in their ways to realize it.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-ELR-takes-bow

how does that look?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think the c7 looks far superior to my beautiful black 2008 z51.

I believe the new model reallyadvances the entire corvette brand.

Change istoughfor many as many of these threads prove.

Nothing wrong with different opinions or processing time.

Just remember the pop up head light debacle when we went from c5 to c6...

It's funny to see a very similiar forum response.

Love the c7!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
ERDOC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's working for a lot of others! I went by my friendly local Chevy dealer where I've bought all my Corvettes yesterday afternoon and he told me he already had deposits from fourteen people for the C7 and if I gave him the deposit right now I'd be number 15. That is with the final price not set yet, but no dealer ad on, just MSRP and a third quarter delivery. He also said, although "not set in stone, a museum delivery option might delay delivery even more." I really want to keep the ZR1, so it would give me the spring and summer to ad on to the garage. hmmmmm
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDOC
It's working for a lot of others! I went by my friendly local Chevy dealer where I've bought all my Corvettes yesterday afternoon and he told me he already had deposits from fourteen people for the C7 and if I gave him the deposit right now I'd be number 15. That is with the final price not set yet, but no dealer ad on, just MSRP and a third quarter delivery. He also said, although "not set in stone, a museum delivery option might delay delivery even more." I really want to keep the ZR1, so it would give me the spring and summer to ad on to the garage. hmmmmm
No! Impossible! No one is putting down deposits. According people on here, its an instant failure.

The car is going to sell well IMO. Bring new life into the brand.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDOC
And if it was done right without the Camaro rear end, there would be a line out the door and they would have had 100 deposits the first day!!!

I'm sure every town in America has at least 14 folks who don't have an appreciation for Corvette heritage and building a car which looks unique.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
lynchmasterflash
6th Gear

Default Who cares?

Who cares? Vettes suck anyway, allways have, allways will. They are low-quality construction, flimsy garbage. No discussion needed.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsilvz
Especially don't like the rear end. Too much like a Camaro.
I think that they would have been a little more creative. Corvette should have its own identity (i.e., four round/oval taillights). It really looks like they "took a styling cue" from the Camaro.

On the other hand, the front does look good. One of the aftermarket companies is tooling up for a set of "teeth" for it right now, I'd bet.

I didn't like the C5s or C6s, with their "big a$$e$, either when they came out. Maybe, like them, the C7 will grow on me. Until then, I'll still think the '84-'90 C4 looks the best.

Mike
'90 'vert
white/red
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
1analguy
Pro

The following comments are in reference to Corvette styling only. I understand that, in a perfect world, engineering or marketing requirements would be the sole driver behind the need for a new generation of Corvette...

Originally Posted by JerriVette
...Change is tough for many...
Needless change, change-for-the-sake-of-change, yes. Definitely. And no, I'm not saying that the 2014 should look just like the 2013, but jeez...at least they should have had some sense of continuity, of where they had come from. This car is the "gas-and-a-match" approach to updating. What they're telling us with this car is that the C6 was a terrible mistake, that the car needed to be going in an entirely different direction, and that anything, even this, would be better than what the 2013 was. All we're arguing about here is whether they're right or wrong.

I suspect that we see this generational "throwing-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water" approach (with GM cars that have the Corvette name on them) because of the U.S. industry norm of top management turn-over every few years. People in top management tend to have huge egos, and even though they may give lip service to "Corvette heritage", I just don't think they really feel it in their bones the way most of us do. They like to put their own personal stamp on the car and redefine it as their idea of what a Corvette should be. So, when each new generation of Corvette is called for, the styling aesthetic gets yanked back and forth at the whims of its current masters at GM.

In the past, when I would read the odd thread suggesting giving the Corvette its own brand, I would roll my eyes and blow it off. However, the more I see this generational trashing of the car's identity, the more the notion of Corvette independence begins to appeal to me. Obviously, JMO...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PureSwank
All it takes is one glance. And you see why its an exotic. Beautiful and aggressive design.
This design is awesome and any changes would defeat the purpose of an all new platform to take the vette into the future. The people and vehicles that never change will go the way of the dinosaur.

If its to damn loud, you're to damn old. Stick with your outdated car... All this purest crap reminds me of my grandmother who doesn't like computers or the Internet... What's wrong with writing a letter or looking it up at the library.

And yes, go buy a mustang. The less you like it the more available it will be to the younger crowd GM and Corvette need to stay successful.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
1analguy
Pro

Originally Posted by XotiK ZO6
This design is awesome and any changes would defeat the purpose of an all new platform to take the vette into the future. The people and vehicles that never change will go the way of the dinosaur.

If its to damn loud, you're to damn old. Stick with your outdated car... All this purest crap reminds me of my grandmother who doesn't like computers or the Internet... What's wrong with writing a letter or looking it up at the library.

And yes, go buy a mustang. The less you like it the more available it will be to the younger crowd GM and Corvette need to stay successful.
Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think... You should print out what you wrote here and store it away somewhere for the long term. Then, on say, your 50th birthday, take it out and reread it. There's no need for you to apologize in advance...we all know you'll be sorry.

I have a question for everyone who saw the reveal video. Remember the graphic/cartoon showing the cold air entering the grill, passing through the radiator, exiting as hot air coming up out of the hood vent, and then passing back smoothly over the top of the car? Can anyone guess what will happen to that hot radiator air when the targa top panel is removed...especially on a nice, hot summer day? And how about when the top is down on the eventual convertible? It might be "interesting"...

Last edited by 1analguy; 01-15-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I guess the Porsche went the way of the dinosaur too! Maybe the T-Rex because even though it has not deviated much in 40 years it is still one of the most highly respected killer sports cars in the world! I'd like to see the "younger" generation save the Corvette, the foundation of the car is built on history and heritage. If GM loses its core clients it will be the end of Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To Swing and a miss!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
When I saw the first artist's rendition of the C7 Corvette, I complained and was told to withhold judgement until actual photos of the car appeared. Now, when I say that the actual car is even worse than the worst of all the pre-reveal renderings, I'm being told to withhold judgement until I see the car in person. I'm guessing that, when I leave the NAIAS next week shaking my head in disgust, I'll be told to give the C7 time to "grow on me" before passing judgement. Apparently, it should be like getting used to living with an infirmity. I'm supposed to just buy one and shut up about it.

Hmmm. I can still remember the exact moment that I saw my first photo of a C3 back in '67, because I was so totally smitten by the car. My first glimpse of a C4...first C6...the same thing: blown out of my skin with lust. A Corvette is not a car that you need. It's a car that you want. I'm in my late 50s now, and when I finish selling off my small "fleet" of vehicles, I'll be looking to purchase what may well be my last expensive sports car. I refuse to drop $70k+ on a car that I have to look away from when I approach it, no matter how good of a car it may be mechanically. Even more emphatically than with the C5, Chevy has completely lost me with this car...

Also, use of the Stingray name on this car is a travesty. The design of the original Corvette Stingray was inspired by an exotic, beautiful sea creature. The design of this car was inspired by the Camaro and several other cars. The front and rear are both ugly and, overall, it's way too busy. Speed Racer would like this car, and he's welcome to it...
The fact that people have come to the conclusion/attitude that they 'own' this franchise is pretty laughable and pathetic. You bought a car, and that was the only vote that counts. You bought a car that has a history of innovation and now you want to stick it into the very limited box of your choosing. Round tail lights are just an example of the very close-mindedness involved.

Don't like it, don't buy one.

As proof of this, if GM had listened to all the bitches in CF, the new Camaro would never have happened and never have been the success that it is. It has outsold the Mustang every year since it came out. 'Nuff said.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

Don't like it, don't buy one.

As proof of this, if GM had listened to all the bitches in CF, the new Camaro would never have happened and never have been the success that it is. It has outsold the Mustang every year since it came out. 'Nuff said.
Exactly. How many times has that happened in history?

The Corvette team said they were changing everything and apparently, a lot of people didn't get the message. There's no retro throwback, "we want the car to look like an old Vette", there's too many electronics, let's just keep every design feature of the past 60 years attitude here. This is a reinvention. Not another continuation of the C6.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
whippie it looks like the original
All Vipers look ... like they've been wrapped around a light pole!, .. disjointed and broke in half. To the OP, ... Your thread title is Too Funny, ... it's total B.S., ... but clever and funny nevertheless. XoticZ06, ... you nailed it. the purest are certainly just like the old people who hate the advances in technology.

Quick Reply: Swing and a miss!