Sponsored by:

several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by acannell
1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
I think you have some points.
But they would have to raise the Base price if the car where like you described.
I think for the price there is no real competion for the C7 except the C6 and that is now the old car.
The GT500 is more of a muscle car not a sports car like the vette.
The C7 looks like it has crossed into the Exotic car class and you still pay the same price as the old C6 and that is cool.
The Porsche 911 base car has 380hp and you can buy 2 C7's for the same price.
The people who like the C6, C5, C4 ect....
and dont like the C7 will grow to like there cars more or move up or down to another Vette as the New C7 owners sell there Vettes.
Its a win win.

But there is a new mustang comming so hold on to your hats, ford may pull something out of there bag of tricks.
One part that is on the C7 that may be different but was on the C6, C5,C4, C3
Is the leaf springs and I still thing that is not the greatest design for a sports car.
I think GM should have gone away from the leaf springs for good.

Last edited by rad928music; 02-11-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: change
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
The Z06 was a huge step up from the previous generation Z, so to expect the base C7 to equal the Z06 in performance is totally unrealistic.

The 450 HP number is not a final number!!!! This has been documented everywhere.

So, 0-60 in 3.7 - 3.8 is NOT exciting but 0-60 in 3.3 - 3.4 is?
Who died and left you king of deciding what is exciting and what is not? It has basically boiled down to splitting hairs with a few tenths of a second?? Huh?

If GM could have "figured out" how to reduced the weght to 3000 lbs and kept the price in the mid $50's and make a profit, they would have.

So, to make a blanket statement to GM to "figure it out", is extremely narrow-minded
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The views of the OP are unrealistic and unfair. 59K to perform as well as the world's top supercars......man come on.....

It's a "wonder" around the globe that the Corvette is as good as it for the price. This thread sounds like someone who wants something for nothing.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by rad928music
I think you have some points.
But they would have to raise the Base price if the car where like you described.
I think for the price there is no real competion for the C7 except the C6 and that is now the old car.
The GT500 is more of a muscle car not a sports car like the vette.
The C7 looks like it has crossed into the Exotic car class and you still pay the same price as the old C6 and that is cool.
The Porsche 911 base car has 380hp and you can buy 2 C7's for the same price.
The people who like the C6, C5, C4 ect....
and dont like the C7 will grow to like there cars more or move up or down to another Vette as the New C7 owners sell there Vettes.
Its a win win.

But there is a new mustang comming so hold on to your hats, ford may pull something out of there bag of tricks.
One part that is on the C7 that may be different but was on the C6, C5,C4, C3
Is the leaf springs and I still thing that is not the greatest design for a sports car.
HUH??? First get your math right about the base 911....its price is not double the C7's and second, I don't know if you know but there is a car called Camaro that is in the Mustangs class & category.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Medic Man
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
HUH??? First get your math right about the base 911....its price is not double the C7's and second, I don't know if you know but there is a car called Camaro that is in the Mustangs class & category.
The last road test I saw between the top end Camaro and Mustang the Camaro outperformed and was the car of choice!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2013 mustang GT500 msrp is $54k and it has 662hp with an 11.4s 1/4 mile..again..the C7 should have at least 500hp in the base model. yes its not a corvette, but shouldnt the new corvette at least be raising the bar A LITTLE out there?

shouldnt it be faster than the latest mustang like it was before?
Um -- it's a Mustang. If you want one, please go buy it. I could give a crap if it had 900 HP and ran 10's. It's still a f'kn Mustang. Be my guest.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One part that is on the C7 that may be different but was on the C6, C5,C4, Is the leaf springs and I still thing (Did you mean "think"?) that is not the greatest design for a sports car.
You and Jeremy on BBC seem to have a hard-on for the "leaf" springs, which, btw, seem to hustle the 'vette around the Nurburgring pretty well, to the detriment of cars costing thousands of dollars more.

Let me know when you come up with a better design, ace, 'cause I don't think you know what you're talking about. In short, I think you're talking out your ***.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by HummelS
Um -- it's a Mustang. If you want one, please go buy it. I could give a crap if it had 900 HP and ran 10's. It's still a f'kn Mustang. Be my guest.
Sadly some people still do not know the difference between a sports car and a muscle car. Boss 302 is ok but not good(best mustang). GT500 is total waste on race track or twisty b-roads.

Originally Posted by HummelS
You and Jeremy on BBC seem to have a hard-on for the "leaf" springs, which, btw, seem to hustle the 'vette around the Nurburgring pretty well, to the detriment of cars costing thousands of dollars more.
Problem always has been the dampers not springs. Latest magnetic ride on C6 fixed most of the problems, hence the dramatical performance difference on 2006 and 2011 Z06.

Last edited by Raitzi; 02-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan
Performance numbers are one thing....that awful Camaro rear end is quite another...The new Vette is a reason for better designers to get busy and create some attractive body panels..could actually help the aftermarket body panel busienss being so ugly,,,, expecially the rear!

For what it is, I'm not as against the front of it as I thought I would be....but it does seem to have a total lack of design integration as a whole theme...Arrdvark and Camels come to mind, certainly not Pinninfarina!

I'm keeping my C5.....and in a few years I'm sure its going to cost a boatload of mony to keep going...but if this is the alternative to go newer, NO THANKS, I'll keep my oldster running....

Quick Reply: several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate