Sponsored by:

Post here if your initial reaction was negative, but now is positive

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I didn't like the Jalopnik rendering, so I was intially turned off. After studying it for a while, I came to the conclusion that if the details were accurate, the actual car might look good if the proportions were correct.....something that's really hard to judge in a 2D rendering.

As it turns out, GM got it right and I really like this car. Not sure if I love it until I see in person and drive it, but I'm optimistic. Having said that, I saw a wide body Grand Sport today and it looked great. Not better or worse than the C7, but different......which is the key to what I think GM has attempted to do: they needed to take the Corvette into the future and improve on an already great car.

A top level GM marketing person told me last week that the C7 designers felt that "the C6 was a great platform in search of a great car." I guess we won't know for a while if they've achieved that greatness they were searching for, but my gut says that they have.

I still love my '07 convertible and have no plans to replace it with a C7.....but I'm guessing my C6 WILL eventually have a more modern friend parked next to it.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As an automotive writer, I've been waiting to see actual pictures/videos of the real thing. The artist's renderings turned out to be pretty close, and I was quite turned off by them -- and now turned off by the reveal. That said, sometimes a car looks much better in the flesh than in pictures, so I'm reserving judgment until I get to play with one. In the meantime, my white C5 with round tail lights and flip-up headlights gets the job done.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I suspected I would like it better when I saw the real deal, but I had very strong reservations about the back of the car. While I think its not perfect, I can admit that I belong on this thread now. I'd "hit it"
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm warming up to it. Not as bad as I thought. Still have to come around on the tail lights. I do LOVE the interior!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
JKVIPER
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Well,

I've owned two C3s, a C4, and a C5. I skipped the C6 and wound up buying a Viper GTS then a 2006 Viper Coupe. Sold the Coupe a couple years ago and have been waiting for the new Vette and Viper.

Originally I really did not like the Jalopnik renderings at all, but have to say I really like the car based on all the photos released. Sub 4 second 0-60, 30mpg on the highway, and a fresh look is all good. There are always a few things that maybe could be better, but at this point I am leaning toward getting the Vette. Love the new Viper, but I think the Vette is a better value.

Well done GM!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've definitely warmed up to the tail lights. I'm just waiting for more final specifications before I let myself fall completely in love.

EDIT: And of course seeing it in person + a test drive. But that should go without saying.

Originally Posted by z edge
I hated the jalopnik render from day one. I still dont like that rendering, i realize its pretty accurate but minor differences hide the amazing details that some of the pictures and videos we've seen in the last 24 hours. Some of the pictures i still dont like, and some im really excited about.
I agree completely, especially about jalopnik. The jalopnik renderings were technically pretty on point, but there were some subtle differences that seem to have made a huge difference to the overall look of the car.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-14-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tears.....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I really need to see it in person, but there are defintely a few things I like. I hated the C6 when it first came out, but as soon as I saw a few on the street I knew I had to have one. However, I waited until a good priced low mileage used one popped up and I won't be buying a new C7 either. I just can't take the initial depreciation.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, i'm one of those who initially said i wasn't crazy about it. I really didn't care for the hood vent but after seeing it is inset and not flush, it looks better to me. This is the pic that changed my mind. Now if i can just keep my c6 and get a C7. I'm sure it will be a couple years before i seriously consider it, but i'm sure they'll only get better with time.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Luna
For me it was seeing the car in something than that dreadful Torch Red color. I saw the car during the reveal and feel it doesn't work at all with the car and was disappointed.

Then I saw the Cyber Grey. The car is gorgeous, sexy, everything I could ask for. I even found a C6 ZO6 Cyber Grey today and upon looking at it I felt, while still a beautiful car, it was boring compared against the C7.

I think this car has so many lines and stylistic cues, the flashier colors like your reds, light blues, and yellows are just too much with this body style. It will look better in your more conservative colors like greys, silver, black, and white. Now, black with black wheels and a black interior, that will be one mean, sick looking car!
I agree about the colors.I like bright colors on the C6, but the C7 looks way better in dark colors.

Quick Reply: Post here if your initial reaction was negative, but now is positive