C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?

Literally every other post i see is " omg camaro taillights.. omg i hate it.. it looks like a camaro.. omg the car is ruined because it has camaro taillights.. omg it looks like a new camaro". Are people forgetting both cars are chevys flagship cars? Did people forget that in 1998, they slapped the new ls1 motor from the 1997 Corvette into the 1998 base model z28 without any changes whatsoever? I've never come across a group of people that are so ashamed of a car sharing similarities within its OWN BRAND while being completely blinded of the car they are "hating" on.

People are so stuck up in their own *** crying about how the taillights are now in the same shape group as the Camaro and are completely failing to realize that the new c7 is a masterpiece and has completely pushed the envelope as far as an american made ~55k dollar car is capable of. Looking at the current c6, This new car couldve been the C8 as far as technology goes.

The Corvette and Chevy needed this more than ever. Considering the fact the Fords/Chevy's low end ecoboxs have more refinement and technology than the c6.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I love the new styling of the c7!

The same thing happened when GM dumped the popup headlights.

Don't sweat the haters they usually convert later on...LOL

It's kind of funny ..

I love the new c7!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

They have fleas ............................
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The car is a masterful redesign from within, on the outside, mechanically, electronically, etc., yet there are those that are adamant that they will never buy one because it has square taillights.

You kind of have to feel sorry for folks like that because they must be sorely disappointed about nearly everything in life. I wonder how they view themselves when they look in the mirror and see some extra pounds around the middle or wrinkles on the face...or do they avoid mirrors all together for fear of the massive disappointment that would not allow them to go on living with such hideousness...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
The car is a masterful redesign from within, on the outside, mechanically, electronically, etc., yet there are those that are adamant that they will never buy one because it has square taillights.

You kind of have to feel sorry for folks like that because they must be sorely disappointed about nearly everything in life. I wonder how they view themselves when they look in the mirror and see some extra pounds around the middle or wrinkles on the face...or do they avoid mirrors all together for fear of the massive disappointment that would not allow them to go on living with such hideousness...
well said - . people need to get over it - they are NOT camaro tail lights!

Last edited by Joe C; 01-15-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm surprised they focused on the tail lights looking like Camaro and missed the headlights being lifted from the Ferrari 458 Italia!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a way to think of it: The Chevy Camaro tail light design foreshadowed the new Corvette! It was a teaser!

Remember back in '61 when the Corvette tail changed? Talk was that it foretold the new design for the '63.

Granted that was 'Vette to 'Vette and this is Camaro to 'Vette, but as bladex10 said, it's still Chevy.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

If only it was just the back end. How about a big letdown in weight, horsepower, and overall performance gains?

How about the odd lack of innovation when working from being "all new"?

How about the six speed auto trans? What else will be used on the first-year car that was not ready in time?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Even my friends who are Ford guys say it has a Camaro back end. There must be something to it.

Will it prevent some from buying it? Well, sure. If the car looks ugly to them then I see no reason to have to buy an ugly looking car. That is just as valid a reason to spend the money elsewhere as any other.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHY? because to me the rear of the car looks UGLY. There is not enough traditional Corvette in this car. No Heritage.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said bladex10, I completely agree. Of course it has Camaro inspired tail lights, if you don't see that you are either blind or a hypocrit. But does that mean it can't look cool? No!
People who hate this should just check out the commercials of the first gen Camaro. The camaro was considered the poor man's Corvette (as the Corvette is called the poor man's Ferrari). It is one big family. Nothing to be ashamed of. And the latest Camaro is a damn cool Pony as well!
The new C7 is the best design since the C3, hands down ... And true to Corvette Heritage, even with another butt! Well done Mr. Wellburn.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
people need to get over it - they are NOT camaro tail lights!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It had the same designer as the Camaro so it would be natural he liked it and wanted it on this car.

Ironic that people always said about the C5 and C6 "They just stopped designing at the rear end, the car just stopped." Now they design the rear end and people don't like it.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Corvette has had road/oval tail lamps for so long its been an iconic part of the car. Just as many other body lines are. To use a name like Stingray again such an iconic name and make the back end very Camaro-ish takes away from the Stingray name for some. I'm another one that when I look at the back of the car I'm let down. I wasn't happy with the C5 back end either but it didn't look like another lower Chevy brand.

If it wasn't a big deal then post wouldn't continue to poor in and this original thread would've never been started. You will never make everyone happy and I'm sure the car will progress.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

PEOPLE, PEOPLE,PEOPLE, GET OVER IT, ITS HERE TO STAY. BUY ONE AND MAKE IT THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO LOOK. JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH THE c-5 AND THE c-6. THAT IS WHY THERE IS AN AFTER MARKET BUSINES. I PERSONNALY LIKE IT OVERALL.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is very entertaining. All of these girly men crying about Camaro tail lights is funny.
Did people whine about Chevrolet using 1960 Corvair taillights on the 1961 Corvette that started the two round tail light design?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Automotive design has a lot of "form follows function." However, to go against convention for the sake of shock value in design can bite you in the AZZZZZ. My bet is that if the wind does not die down about the rear end, sometime in the next couple of years GM will revert back to the round headlights, maybe sooner than you think.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The round lights would look completely out of place with all the angular lines of the body and the wheel well vent on the outside. It would be worse than George Gobel's brown shoes with a tux. Thank goodness the GM designers know better.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Camz28arro
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm beginning to like the taillights but I still can't get over the rest of the rear just yet. I wish the rear looked more like this which looks cleaner, meaner, and different from the c6.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

The rear design looks busy, but acceptible. The rear tail light sare similiar to Camaro lights, but completely different at the same time. Since a Camaro and the new C7 come from the same manufacturer, is it not understandable why there is a glimmer of similiarities?

Overall, I think it is a refreshing new design.

Perhaps there will be a good line of aftermarket parts to enhance or completely change the rear to appease to those who dislike it. Surely there will be an aftermarket to bump up the surprisingly low HP/TQ numbers.

Quick Reply: Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?