Sponsored by:

C7 Side Fender Vent. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts
Default C7 Side Fender Vent. Opinions?

Ok Folks, I am begining to think I am the only one who does not care for the side fender vent on the C7. No one seems to be talking about it so I assume people like it. I think Corvette side fender vent styling is a key design feature on any corvette and the vent on the C7, while not ugly, just does nothing for me. Yes, it is large from top to bottom but it lacks any significant ressession into the bodywork (if that makes sense). I would have likes to have seen a larger opening that recessed further into the car. This would have made it look more aggressive. I am hoping that they are saving this idea for the higher performance models. This is a proper fender vent IMO:

Overall, I really like the C7, and I am excited about the "Z" models. I can invision it in my mind based on the base model and it should be a knockout. I just hope that they make aggressive changes to the base car side fender vent like they did with the widebody C6s.

Am I alone in my opinion regarding the side fender vent?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Looks okay to me. Maybe about the same as a base C6, 1 to 1 1/2 inches?

Now that I see your posted picture of the C7 concept, it looks like they had two choices. Either have the bottom of the cove align with the top of the bottom protrusion that runs from front to back, or the bottom of the same protrusion as with the C7 Concept. Top wins out IMO. Somewhere in the middle would not work at all.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 01-19-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Looks okay to me. Maybe about the same as a base C6, 1 inch?
[/IMG]

Crabby, I did not like the C6 vent until the ZO6 was introduced. Like the base C6, the 1" recession on the C7 just does not look agressive/sporty IMO. Reminds me of GT-R. :
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Crabby, I did not like the C6 vent until the ZO6 was introduced. Like the base C6, the 1" recession on the C7 just does not look agressive/sporty IMO. Reminds me of GT-R. :
See my edit above. But I can live with it as is.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
See my edit above. But I can live with it as is.
I can live with it too, but my guess is that they will offer a slight styling change in this area when the Z is introduced...at least I hope.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Maybe a little too angular but the shape does seem to work with the rest o,f the body lines.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with C6Joy, that it maybe a bit too angular, but i like it overall. And I like the insert. Gives it a more refined, finished look. Also it ties in the the look of the other vents.

Last edited by pmzangag; 01-19-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks appropriate for the side profile of the car to me, they did want something more edgy.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The styling of the c7 is awesome. Side vent and all. Very aggressive angle and that's what I like and it's functional
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm with you Paul. I believe the overriding theme of the car is to have a bunch of exposed black vents. I see a bunch of Rice when I view the red car. The side vents were designed to have a large surface area grille of black plastic . I've seen this on GM's SUVs also.

I would prefer that the cove was more vertical and have the opening 90 degrees from the surface of the fender and located closer to the door. More like the C6 Z06. As little exposed grille as possible.

Same for the scoop on top of the rear fender. Look at the size of of it. Again, it is designed for maximum surface area of black plastic. You don't need that large of a scoop to get air for cooling. Both scoops are designed more for visual effect then for functionality.

Notice how many people really like the photos of the Cyber Gray over the Red Z51 shown at the NAICS. The dark gray helps hide the obnoxious vents tacked on everywhere whereas the red car highlights the black parts.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm with you Paul. I believe the overriding theme of the car is to have a bunch of exposed black vents. I see a bunch of Rice when I view the red car. The side vents were designed to have a large surface area grille of black plastic . I've seen this on GM's SUVs also.

I would prefer that the cove was more vertical and have the opening 90 degrees from the surface of the fender and located closer to the door. More like the C6 Z06. As little exposed grille as possible.

Same for the scoop on top of the rear fender. Look at the size of of it. Again, it is designed for maximum surface area of black plastic. You don't need that large of a scoop to get air for cooling. Both scoops are designed more for visual effect then for functionality.

Notice how many people really like the photos of the Cyber Gray over the Red Z51 shown at the NAICS. The dark gray helps hide the obnoxious vents tacked on everywhere whereas the red car highlights the black parts.
Joe, I understand where you are coming from and how the vents may rub some folks the wrong way. I wonder if they will be easily replaceable (bolt on and off). That could make for some interesting aftermarket customization.

Regardless, the only vent that bothers me is the side fender one. I hate it for the same reason I hate the base C6 vent and GT-R vent...opening is too thin and does not recess into the car far enough. I've always appreciated the viper vent for this reason. I hope the C7 Z corrects this for me...otherwise as crazy at it sounds, it kind of makes the car much harder for me to like. I keep thinking of the GT-R when I see that damn vent...

[ok, rant over...]

Last edited by Paulchristian; 01-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simple solution: color coded vents will tone them down. I replaced The ugly black spoiler and door handles on my A/O C6 and it gives the car more continuity.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Both the side vents and tail light tear drop vents look atrocious. I prefer the Stingray Concept side vents as it carries forward more of the distinctive Corvette styling. I would have also liked to see round tail lights to pull in and blend better with the round exhaust tips, again maintaining the distinctive Corvette brand. Besides the logo on the front fender, I simply don't see GM's Stingray branding attempt...
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I am totally bewildered that Cadillac, GM's other division, has recently created designs that are subtle and quite tasteful then "they can't put the brush down" with the C7. I was hoping at minimum that GM would "shrink wrap" the C6. The C6 was almost perfect- small, clean and purposeful . The C7 side strakes, two tones , contrasting color vents, Christmas bulb headlamps, overwrought side vents are just too much.
Not to mention making the car slightly larger , heavier and carrying over a 5 year old automatic .
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BSE1956

Simple solution: color coded vents will tone them down. I replaced The ugly black spoiler and door handles on my A/O C6 and it gives the car more continuity.
First things I did when I got my Z06 as to install the CAGS eliminator, paint the door handles and the rear spoiler the body color(Cyber Gray) and install a M2W.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm good with the vents but would like to see (for all the vents) a body-color option. I shouldn't have to remove them and paint them all, IMO.

Hey, at least they are black and not CHROME!

I MUCH prefer these over the GS gills. Way more!

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-19-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had to same some room to improve aka "Z06 ZR1", You will more than likley have a deeper vent in the Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Side Fender Vent. Opinions?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John T
I am totally bewildered that Cadillac, GM's other division, has recently created designs that are subtle and quite tasteful then "they can't put the brush down" with the C7. I was hoping at minimum that GM would "shrink wrap" the C6. The C6 was almost perfect- small, clean and purposeful . The C7 side strakes, two tones , contrasting color vents, Christmas bulb headlamps, overwrought side vents are just too much.
Not to mention making the car slightly larger , heavier and carrying over a 5 year old automatic .
The good news is that this is really a no lose situation for corvette folks (at least for me). If I do not like the C7 when I finally see it in person someday, there will be amazing AAAMMMAAZING deals on C6 ZR1s...

I will have no problem going that route...the C6 Z/ZR1 is THAT good. You can't loose.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm good with the vents but would like to see (for all the vents) a body-color option. I shouldn't have to remove them and paint them all, IMO.

Hey, at least they are black and not CHROME!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

I usually agree with your posts but you weren't the engineer so for you to say the size of the scoop on top of the rear fender was just to maximize the black plastic is BS Unless you were included in those design discussions at GM proving grounds

Save the flames, as I've posted more than my fair share of off the cuff comments when I feel something sucks. The vents should have been titanium or something. See....

Quick Reply: C7 Side Fender Vent. Opinions?