Sport seats really more sporty????

Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by dbdave
And in the description it says (interim availability). What's up with that? More to come on the configuration?
No, it means the Competition Seats won't be available when orders are taken at first. You'll need to wait till part of the way through the year for them.

jas
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boil
...Also, can anyone answer whether or not I can have Suede Inserts in the Comp Seats…?
Excellent question!

Leather sucks... cold in winter, hot in summer, and too slippery all the time.

I'd MUCH prefer a grippy durable fabric.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by VinceJB
So the competition seats are harness friendly obviously. BUT I wonder if there is a cross bar to bolt them down to?
Left the the aftermarket to handle. And they will, too.

jas
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Raitzi
It just seems they are more because of style and not because of function.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Those belt slots are perfectly functional.

jas
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
No, it means the Competition Seats won't be available when orders are taken at first. You'll need to wait till part of the way through the year for them.
jas
Are you sure about this?
'Interim availability' to me means a stop gap product until the real thing is available. I'm thinking they mean 'In the interim, this is the product we offer until the updated, final version is produced.'.

Unless the marketing people got the message wording wrong in the description, which as we know never happens.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Those belt slots are perfectly functional.

jas
I said more. Those might be very expensive belt slots.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like what GM has done with the C7 seats. To me it looks like a huge improvement over the C6 seats, and now for the track guys a comp seat available. Perfect and exactly what Corvette should've been offering for years now.

Me....I'll take the base seats.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jschindler
As to a harness, very few (like almost none) folks are going to put in a racing harness with the factory seats anyway. Most harnesses are going to be used in a car has a roll cage and is a dedicated race car.
Actually, you have no idea how welcome this is to us track dogs that specifically don't want to overhaul the interior of our cars for track duty. It's a good thing and will be used quite a bit, I bet.

jas
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Excellent question!

Leather sucks... cold in winter, hot in summer, and too slippery all the time.

I'd MUCH prefer a grippy durable fabric.
FYI - Suede IS leather, just the split 'hairy' side, not the smooth side…

But with the vented & heated seats, either material will be comfortable, The main reason I would like the Comp Seats with Suede Inserts IS for one of the reasons you mentioned; slippery…

Suede will help hold ones *** in place…! As for the Dark Grey, purely for the contrasting look against the Jet Black smooth leather…!

If you look at some of the different pics of the interiors, you will see some where the red leather interior actually has red & black on the doors; while the dark saddle leather covers both portions of the doors…

I would ALSO like an option to 'two-tone' the doors like the red/black shots, but with Dark Grey suede where the red is…

And, AND; can I get a matching Dark Grey stitching as well…? They ARE doing colored stitching, as the red/black leather shots show red stitching; and the dark saddle shots show a different color…

I guess more of these options will solidify the closer we get to actual production; but I would EXPECT similar options to the outgoing C6 Corvettes (GS/Z models & engines aside) to be available from the onset of consumer ordering…!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

My days of tracking my Corvette's are over. Wifey and I want a great GT seat that is comfortable, good looking and long wearing. The base seats look to fill that need for us.

I'm sure GM has a 90% solution with the Competition Seat, knowing a few hard core enthusiasts will NEVER be happy with ANY factory seat. To them I'm sure the after market community will design and build you your perfect seat, for a princely sum.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I would like to hear from C6 guys about their factory sport seats.

But with the C5; almost everyone I knwo that's serious about autocross or road racing... rips out any & all factory seats and goes with something more racing serious.

I often wonder if those that order sport seats in a Corvette are in reality "armchair racing drivers"? Not that there's a problem with that; but when I sat in a C5 with the optional sport seats; it was most uncomfortable. I could of sworn it was designed by my mother - who was always scolding me about "proper posture"...
And the protruding side bolster made it more difficult to get in & out of the car.

And with that in mind... if the sport seats are not adequate enough for serious autocrossers & road course types... why does GM bother to offer them in the first place?

Since I have no experience with the C6, my question to C6 owners is ... was the same thing happening (factory "sport seats" just wouldn't cut-it as well, like in the C5) ?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

But with the C5; almost everyone I knwo that's serious about autocross or road racing... rips out any & all factory seats and goes with something more racing serious.

I often wonder if those that order sport seats in a Corvette are in reality "armchair racing drivers"? Not that there's a problem with that; but when I sat in a C5 with the optional sport seats; it was most uncomfortable. I could of sworn it was designed by my mother - who was always scolding me about "proper posture"...
And the protruding side bolster made it more difficult to get in & out of the car.

And with that in mind... if the sport seats are not adequate enough for serious autocrossers & road course types... why does GM bother to offer them in the first place?

Since I have no experience with the C6, my question to C6 owners is ... was the same thing happening (factory "sport seats" just wouldn't cut-it as well, like in the C5) ?
I wasn't aware the C6 offered a sports seat. If what I have are the "sport seas" they're terrible for any type of aggressive driving.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

Well, the leather seats in my Z06 are so slippery that I keep sliding into the back seat when I go WOT and side out the windows when I do 1.03g's in the hills around here. Glad I don't have a ZR1 or I would be in Green county when I enter a curve, and be in Stone county when I exit the curve(but the car will still be in Greene county). Of course, I don't use my seat belts. LOL
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Glad I don't have a ZR1 or I would be in Green county when I enter a curve, and be in Stone county when I exit the curve(but the car will still be in Greene county).

Maybe GM learned a lesson and are offering something that is actually "sport"... not just in verbage alone.

does the optional C7 sport seats look truly racing-serious to those that know about these types of things ?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Just to be clear, there were not sport seats in either the C5 or C6. The only difference is that in the very base car there were no side airbags. The seats were functionally (and visually) identical. I guess I should clarify that some C6's had adjustable bolsters, but oddly enough the first few years of the Z06 they were not available in that model.

The last Corvette that truly offered two different seats was the C4.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jschindler
Just to be clear, there were not sport seats in either the C5 or C6. The only difference is that in the very base car there were no side airbags. The seats were functionally (and visually) identical. I guess I should clarify that some C6's had adjustable bolsters, but oddly enough the first few years of the Z06 they were not available in that model.

The last Corvette that truly offered two different seats was the C4.
unless I am not remembering clearly... for my early production 2002, I had the choice of two types of seats, "base" and "sport".

Then starting late 2002 model year, and then 2003 & 2004... all C5's came with the optional seats as standard; the base seats were discontinued.

There was an optional seat from 1997 thru early 2002; I could of sworn it was called a "sport" seat... ???

(see post 59)

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-21-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sport seats really more sporty????

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Jim,

Having seen the car, it certainly looked to me as if the sport seat had more substantial bolstering. Here are two photos I shot at the reveal, one of each seat. I'm not certain how the angle compares but based on these two photos it does look bigger.

Sport seat

Touring seat

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

just found this for the C5:

RPO AQ9, Sport Seats $625

I'm not claiming they were truly "sporty" though...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Paul - ^^^^ But what about the seat bottoms? They look exactly alike in the diagrams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport seats really more sporty????