Sponsored by:

Hey Blue Ox

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Actually, I think GM already has a dealer incentive system in place - the more C6s you sell, the bigger/sooner C7 allocation you get.

yet, there's one dealer dood claiming you can't increase allocations by selling more Corvettes the previous year.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yes, I do think that they did. I was complaining about inaction at the time, and I stand by that. They could have been managing expectations much better than they did.

Now, once they actually started doing something, I've said I liked what they are doing, because they were finally doing something. I didn't think the teaser videos were worth the effort but the idea that they had a web site/facebook/twitter specifically dedicated to building anticipation worked well.

On the other hand, if the objective is to engender great feelings toward the C7, I don't think it really was effective as the final product speaks for itself far more than the anticipation. And there is a lot of distain for it even now. Again, part of that is because they didn't do a good job of controlling expectations. This whole 6 speed auto vs the rumored 8 speed is just one example. They are fairly silent about this still.

We could talk about some of the other things that were happening when I was saying it. Do I think that some of the denials by GM that Jalopnik got it exactly right by GM folks has been quickly forgotten by people like you. The idea that Ed Welburn said that it wasn't something they would allow to happen is pretty laughable.
Good points all.

I was disappointed in the teaser campaign as well. I think it would have been good to show the bench marks they were trying to reach. Sub 4 second 0-60 here's how were doing this. World class interior - here's what we're doing.
Changing the look - here's what we're doing. Talk more about what Corvette is, rather than showing tidbits and portions. If they'd have done a better job setting up some things - the tail lights, the vents, the dash layout, in the teasers, they could have saved some grief at the reveal. The teaser campaign was wasted in terms of helping the introduction strategy.

Their Jalopnik stuff was a burn. They were dead on. Obviously GM couldn't say that, but it was almost exact. I don't know how they could have handled that.

As for the A8 vs the A6 trans, I don't know what they could have done other than leak some info that an Aisin trans wouldn't be in the car. They need to find a means to leak specific info into the web to manage that type of ember before it becomes an inferno and creates disappointment.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So, 177"(C7) is shorter then 174.6"(C6). You struck out.
now... n ow... now; this is short:

give old Ox a break; he's been quite a refreshing poster in the C7 section.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Good points all.

I was disappointed in the teaser campaign as well. I think it would have been good to show the bench marks they were trying to reach. Sub 4 second 0-60 here's how were doing this. World class interior - here's what we're doing.
Changing the look - here's what we're doing. Talk more about what Corvette is, rather than showing tidbits and portions. If they'd have done a better job setting up some things - the tail lights, the vents, the dash layout, in the teasers, they could have saved some grief at the reveal. The teaser campaign was wasted in terms of helping the introduction strategy.

Their Jalopnik stuff was a burn. They were dead on. Obviously GM couldn't say that, but it was almost exact. I don't know how they could have handled that.

As for the A8 vs the A6 trans, I don't know what they could have done other than leak some info that an Aisin trans wouldn't be in the car. They need to find a means to leak specific info into the web to manage that type of ember before it becomes an inferno and creates disappointment.
I was a little bit disappointed in the reveal. I know they showed the video interviews of the designers/engineers beforehand, the stage was great, the imaging on the car cover was very cool...but I expected the big 3 to say a bit more and they looked REALLY nervous. I'm sure for those who were actually there at the show, it was fine but for viewers on the web it felt like an abrupt ending. Oh well, I've never been to a reveal like that before so that is probably just the way they go.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
now... n ow... now; this is short:

give old Ox a break; he's been quite a refreshing poster in the C7 section.

No worries Mike, I can handle it!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

I was a little bit disappointed in the reveal. I know they showed the video interviews of the designers/engineers beforehand, the stage was great, the imaging on the car cover was very cool...but I expected the big 3 to say a bit more and they looked REALLY nervous. I'm sure for those who were actually there at the show, it was fine but for viewers on the web it felt like an abrupt ending. Oh well, I've never been to a reveal like that before so that is probably just the way they go.
It was very similar in sequencing to the one for the Silverado and Sierra. I believe they end abruptly so the assembled press can begin interviewing the powers that be.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
It was very similar in sequencing to the one for the Silverado and Sierra. I believe they end abruptly so the assembled press can begin interviewing the powers that be.
Makes sense...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Boil
That "Younger Market" best have a job good enough to secure a 6-year payment plan, with an expendable $1,500/month to cover said payments & insurance premiums…!
GM knows exactly what they are doing. They aren't trying to sell to teenagers. They know damn well who their target demographic is..
All the 'younger' folks want it, so naturally 'older' folks who are a little more free financially will want it.
If they prep the next generation of Vette buyers in the process, job well done.

Having said that. Pretty sure the average C7 buyer will be a bit younger than the C6, whether the old man stigma remains in tact is unknown.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Boil
Well, that would mean a fully outfitted 3LT/Z51/MSRC is gonna run around 75k…?

I am thinking with ALL the extras AND tax/tag/title/delivery fees; visible CF roof, painted spoiler & mirrors, painted brake calipers, suede seat inserts, suede upper interior trim, CF interior bits & variable-tuned performance exhaust; NOT taking the auto transmission choice into consideration…

Comp seats should NOT be a price increase for anyone ordering the 3LT trim package…
A base 2013 is 49,600.00 and a Grand Sport coupe was 56,000.00

I think you're numbers are a little off...

Stands to reason, that a reasonable person would be able to make this comparison. If you're going to buy an option MAXED car...what are you suggesting they do...not charge you for the options....or sell the base model at a loss? It costs what it costs.

Yet again...GM knows what they need to sell to make a profit. They also know what it costs. They also collect information to reasonably understand what people have to spend. Are car companies always right...certaintly not, but if the base is 53k, and the Z51/Mag/3LT is 75, then the Z06 will jump 25k overnight to be 100k, and the ZR1 will be 150k.

That makes sense...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Since the C7 is actually being compared in all regards to the GS, then technically it is more narrow than that model. Basically, it's a wide body car.

On price, I have no idea about the C7 pricing. For me $60K OTD is about my personal limit on automobile costs. But some cars have actually became cheaper when the new model was released due to updated manufacturing techniques. The new Jetta came out and was like $2K less than the previous edition, did everything better, and that's only a $27K car!

Hey, we can hope right?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Aozora
GM knows exactly what they are doing. They aren't trying to sell to teenagers. They know damn well who their target demographic is..
All the 'younger' folks want it, so naturally 'older' folks who are a little more free financially will want it.
If they prep the next generation of Vette buyers in the process, job well done.

Having said that. Pretty sure the average C7 buyer will be a bit younger than the C6, whether the old man stigma remains in tact is unknown.

????????????? I'm pretty sure that us affluent "older folks" don't just automatically want something simply because "younger" folks do. Not sure I understand your logic there...........? Seems to me most examples go in the opposite direction - rap, hip-hop, etc?

I think you give the supposed virtue of youth itself too much credit. Seems like every generation makes that mistake - I know mine did. You just don't realize it until you become one of "them". If you're lucky it will happen to you!

Never trust anyone over 30.............
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I do think that they did. I was complaining about inaction at the time, and I stand by that. They could have been managing expectations much better than they did.

Now, once they actually started doing something, I've said I liked what they are doing, because they were finally doing something. I didn't think the teaser videos were worth the effort but the idea that they had a web site/facebook/twitter specifically dedicated to building anticipation worked well.

On the other hand, if the objective is to engender great feelings toward the C7, I don't think it really was effective as the final product speaks for itself far more than the anticipation. And there is a lot of distain for it even now. Again, part of that is because they didn't do a good job of controlling expectations. This whole 6 speed auto vs the rumored 8 speed is just one example. They are fairly silent about this still.

We could talk about some of the other things that were happening when I was saying it. Do I think that some of the denials by GM that Jalopnik got it exactly right by GM folks has been quickly forgotten by people like you. The idea that Ed Welburn said that it wasn't something they would allow to happen is pretty laughable.
the big take away they did not manage or right level expectations.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
????????????? I'm pretty sure that us affluent "older folks" don't just automatically want something simply because "younger" folks do. Not sure I understand your logic there...........? Seems to me most examples go in the opposite direction - rap, hip-hop, etc?

I think you give the supposed virtue of youth itself too much credit. Seems like every generation makes that mistake - I know mine did. You just don't realize it until you become one of "them". If you're lucky it will happen to you!

Never trust anyone over 30.............
You telling me you don't wear your pants below your ***. The older I get, the lower they get. I wanna be cool.

Quick Reply: Hey Blue Ox