Sponsored by:

Driving the Final prototype on GT5

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Driving the Final prototype on GT5

I heard it was coming today, so I went and bought GT5 last night. I wasted half my childhood playing GT3, but I always loved Forza more ever since it came out. I downloaded the final prototype about an hour ago. Keep in mind I've never played GT5, but I got the car and drove it and thought it under steered or didn't handle like I like it or whatever. Looking back, it was probably just the tires not being warmed up, and me having zero clue what I was doing

Anyway, I upgraded the sport hard tires to sport medium and did an oil change. I was thinking that since the prototype doesn't say it's a Z51 and Z51 has better suspension ediff, customized tires for the Z51 etc. So I'm wondering if me upgrading to a sport medium from a sport hard would be a comparable upgrade to make it kind of equal times to what a Z51 would run???? (not a race tire of any kind)

Anywho, I ran on Laguna Seca about 10 laps (it took about 8 or 9 before I finally didn't go off in turn 2 ) and I got the car to run a 1:35.695, which seems damn fast especially considering I'm not a good driver on there yet and I can tell there's a lot more in it.

My main question is how much of a difference the sport medium tires are and I'm just trying to use the game to figure out what the real Z51 would run at Laguna Seca, but more importantly the Ring.

Love to hear any impressions and times everyone else has.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Anything you change makes it pure speculation. The only way to deduct any info is to run the car bone stock as it is sold in GT5 and consider that your "at least it will do this" number. Put tires on, change oil and boost hp...it's all speculation at that point.

BONE stock, I've run 7:35.783 at Nurburgring...no oil change, no tire change, manually shifting with a clutch, etc. If I put on the tires you did and did an oil change I'd get 7:20's easy...that's Carbon Z06 range...I don't know about that.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RC000E
Anything you change makes it pure speculation. The only way to deduct any info is to run the car bone stock as it is sold in GT5 and consider that your "at least it will do this" number. Put tires on, change oil and boost hp...it's all speculation at that point.

BONE stock, I've run 7:35.783 at Nurburgring...no oil change, no tire change, manually shifting with a clutch, etc. If I put on the tires you did and did an oil change I'd get 7:20's easy...that's Carbon Z06 range...I don't know about that.
I wish I had the skill and knowledge of the track as some of you others here. I've only driven a full lap maybe 20-30 times ever. I got tired of going off the track every other turn, so I said F it and bought full slicks. Still went off a good 10 times and only ran a 7:34

I don't care for a few aspects of the game compared to Forza. The line on here seems to be wrong several times. Tells you to brake a tad before a corner you can easily drive through. Doesn't tell you to brake on a few other corners, and I totally fly off the track and slam into the wall every time. The car seems to turn kind of "choppy" for lack of a better word at times. I have no problem holding traction on turns after the straight doing 150+ through turns, but some turns that aren't that tight, the car flys off the track doing 70 or so. Anywho...

I just need more "seat time" to get it all figured out.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impression on the final prototype:

I tested car on Trial Mountain. At first corner I was on the inside too much; understeer is gone which was quite strong with previous version. The actual laptimes are close but car feels so much more controllable. Then to ugly part.. Car feels like it only has four gears, but then you find out there is three more to go. Gears just are too tall above 3rd. Motor is very strong. I was doing about 300 km/h in Mulsanne when I shifted to 6th!! Car kept on pulling to 320 km/h before I had to slow down. When doing 240 km/h motor was at 2400rpm with 7th gear!
I understand the overdrive of 7th gear but 4ht 5th and 6th are also too tall.

For reference my best time at Trial mountain was 1:37.4.

It could have used a bit more locking from the diff at exits but the torque is pretty brutal anyways.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jdhommert
Anyway, I upgraded the sport hard tires to sport medium and did an oil change.
In GT5, doing an oil change right after you buy the car gives you an extra 5hp. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I wish I had the skill and knowledge of the track as some of you others here. I've only driven a full lap maybe 20-30 times ever. I got tired of going off the track every other turn, so I said F it and bought full slicks. Still went off a good 10 times and only ran a 7:34

I don't care for a few aspects of the game compared to Forza. The line on here seems to be wrong several times. Tells you to brake a tad before a corner you can easily drive through. Doesn't tell you to brake on a few other corners, and I totally fly off the track and slam into the wall every time. The car seems to turn kind of "choppy" for lack of a better word at times. I have no problem holding traction on turns after the straight doing 150+ through turns, but some turns that aren't that tight, the car flys off the track doing 70 or so. Anywho...

I just need more "seat time" to get it all figured out.
I was talking quite a bit with Jim Mero at the reveal and reassuring him that based on my 7:50's in the game with the prototype on the ring that his job was secure. He reminded me that the only way to get faster laps around the ring was more laps around the ring. No substitute for practice.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
I was talking quite a bit with Jim Mero at the reveal and reassuring him that based on my 7:50's in the game with the prototype on the ring that his job was secure. He reminded me that the only way to get faster laps around the ring was more laps around the ring. No substitute for practice.
Did you by any chance kidnap his kids and hold them until he told you what he thought the C7 would do at the ring?

Just thought I'd ask.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Raitzi
Racer

I bet you did not even turn ABS off.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The C7 feels very balanced in GT5. Very easy to drive fast. While it does hide it's weight well it still feels a bit heavy. I picked up a C5 Z06 and it was about as fast and seemed more tossable.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

C5z is a good car...on certain tracks there isnt a huge gap between c6z, c5z and c7....
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this thread about a video game? Seriously?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Did you by any chance kidnap his kids and hold them until he told you what he thought the C7 would do at the ring?

Just thought I'd ask.
He wouldn't speculate on a time (didn't think about grabbing the kids ). He did say he was looking very forward to finding out though.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by Migs08
Is this thread about a video game? Seriously?
No. It is about C7 in video game. Much better than C7 in video.

One quality review of the model:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showth...57#post8011757

Last edited by Raitzi; 01-17-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

I got it up to 200mph on special stage rt 7 (the one with the bridge and long straight at night with fireworks). Something tells me it's a bit overrated in the game
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

So GT5 is probably dead on with the curb weight even though none of us believed it on the camo car. Knowing how close they get the cars to reality and that this was specially released as a collaboration, does it mean this is true as well:

HP: 464hp
TQ: 475lb/ft!!
Kerb: 1500kg or 3307lbs
Balance: 49/51
fuel cut: 7000rpm!!

I will easily believe the HP number and Kerb and balance but...7000rpm fuel cut? I thought it was 6600rpm redline and cut. And that torque...more than Z06!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Raitzi
Racer

GT5 players talk about the car and the model:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-5X...Q2UEMtdnM/edit

Get notified of new replies

To Driving the Final prototype on GT5

Quick Reply: Driving the Final prototype on GT5