C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German auto journalist who attended C7 debut says.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default German auto journalist who attended C7 debut says.......

Jenns Meiners from The Continental states, in his overview of the Detroit auto show......

Best Production Car: Chevrolet Corvette. America’s sports-car icon is taking a big leap forward. Its styling is aggressive enough to appeal not only to the aging Corvette collector crowd, but also to a new, younger set of buyers. The front grille may be somewhat unexceptional, but the headlight design is refreshing; the side view is novel and even slightly Italian; and the angry rear end is simply fantastic. Thank you, Chevrolet, for not allowing this icon to be clinic’d to death. The C7 Vette goes the extra 25 percent the C6 wasn’t allowed to go, and as a result it will be considered a great Corvette.

Last edited by C6NRED; 01-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

That is truly interesting. A different perspective is always welcome.
Bill
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
...and the angry rear end is simply fantastic.
Then why is it so angry?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Then why is it so angry?
I think that if you look at the C6 tail lights as surprised round eyes, you can easily see scowling eyes and eyebrows in the C7 ......regardless, he says "it's fantastic." Pretty strong language for a styling element others here have had "issues" with.....got to admit, it's growing on me.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A postive review is good------ which is nice. So it's got THAT going for it.....

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Nice to see someone else besides me like the rear end.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Then why is it so angry?
Angry birds reference?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

German or Not. His statement pretty much sums up how I feel about the car.. especially this part:

Thank you, Chevrolet, for not allowing this icon to be clinic’d to death. The C7 Vette goes the extra 25 percent the C6 wasn’t allowed to go, and as a result it will be considered a great Corvette.

God knows I was already tired of the "Same, but better" stuff. So happy to see them get really aggressive and bring some truly fresh ideas to the table. I think that is the primary reason why the round taillights are gone.. that entire era of "Same, but better" is what kept so many GM vehicles stuck in the '80s. I feel the new Silverado trucks are also stuck in the 80's with their "Same, but better" styling. Entirely too safe, to garner any new interest:

Last edited by Daekwan06; 01-22-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george vee
Nice to see someone else besides me like the rear end.
I too think the rear end is a little bit of fantastic.

Thank you, Chevrolet, for not allowing this icon to be clinic’d to death. The C7 Vette goes the extra 25 percent the C6 wasn’t allowed to go, and as a result it will be considered a great Corvette.
Focus groups mean the death of creative design. I can't stand them. A design is never going to appeal to everyone. If everyone finds it acceptable, you've played it safe and your design will be easily forgotten.

Last edited by Process Black; 01-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good to see the C7 get some positive comments from journalists. God knows there are enough critics here on CF.

As I see more and more pics of the car, I'm really beginning to like the new look - rear fascia and all.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
German or Not. His statement pretty much sums up how I feel about the car.. especially this part:

God knows I was already tired of the "Same, but better" stuff. So happy to see them get really aggressive and bring some truly fresh ideas to the table. I think that is the primary reason why the round taillights are gone.. that entire era of "Same, but better" is what kept so many GM vehicles stuck in the '80s. I feel the new Silverado trucks are also stuck in the 80's with their "Same, but better" styling. Entirely too safe, to garner any new interest:

I was really hoping that they would build something to compete with the Raptor
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The Silverado has its market though. GM isn't really pushing for new sales there unlike the Corvette.

The Ram gets the really radical styling, F-150 is in the middle, and the Silverado is the conservatively styled one. Been like that for 20 years now.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
SEVETGO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love the rear, the tail lights look awesome when the brakes are applied, what I find difficult to aceppt is the roof line, I think we lost some Corvette identity in the redesign of the roof line IMHO.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

God knows I was already tired of the "Same, but better" stuff. So happy to see them get really aggressive and bring some truly fresh ideas to the table. I think that is the primary reason why the round taillights are gone.. that entire era of "Same, but better" is what kept so many GM vehicles stuck in the '80s. I feel the new Silverado trucks are also stuck in the 80's with their "Same, but better" styling. Entirely too safe, to garner any new interest...
Well, they are in two different markets, of course. The truck can get by with more of a 'boring' value proposition that the Corvette can't.

So far, I like the C7 and will probably try to buy a used one in a few years. That could change when I actually see one in person, but I doubt it. I think team Corvette had to break out a bit from where they were or why even bother making a new generation?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

They definitely had to make a statement and they did. I was about to pull the trigger on a Gallardo, Viper, or R8. Because of the C7, I haven't yet, and I find myself here in this forum a lot.

Yeah, I've voiced my opinion of what I don't like, but overall they did a pretty good job, enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on 3 hot cars, waiting to see what the final numbers will be on the Vette (hoping for 475hp).

That's saying ALOT...........

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
HiddenCorvetteFan
Cruising

"aging Corvette collector crowd"

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Jenns Meiners from The Continental states, in his overview of the Detroit auto show......

Best Production Car: Chevrolet Corvette. America’s sports-car icon is taking a big leap forward. Its styling is aggressive enough to appeal not only to the aging Corvette collector crowd, but also to a new, younger set of buyers....
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HiddenCorvetteFan
"aging Corvette collector crowd"
If you've ever visited a Corvette club or Corvette show. Its pretty easy to see what he is talking about it. Definitely not crazy talk.

Get notified of new replies

To German auto journalist who attended C7 debut says.......

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

If you see who's wearing Corvette gear at car shows, it's definitely not crazy talk.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jinx
If you see who's wearing Corvette gear at car shows, it's definitely not crazy talk.
What do you mean? I think that my white hair goes really WELL with all my Corvette t shirts and hats!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was easy to see that the car had some Italian design cues in the exterior and really in the interior. I immediately saw some Murcielago in those angles inside the car on the dash. The exterior is very nice to look at. I myself think the lights look great just the actual fascia I am trying my hardest to like. Overall the car is gorgeous and can't wait to see how much more aggressive they make with a performance model.

-Alex

Quick Reply: German auto journalist who attended C7 debut says.......