Sponsored by:

Marketing the Corvette: What GM doesn’t get

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
What GM needs to do is concentrate on the C7 and consistently drive the point home with constant marketing and acknowledging the Corvette wins on the track. Somehow GM must think racing accomplishments are dirty words. The other thing GM must do is be consistent with Corvette quality because someone coming from the European brands won't put up with some of the GM dealer bs. The buying and dealership experience is also an area that GM must improve for potential import conquest sales.
This is taken from another thread:

So confident is GM in the systems ruggedness, the 100,000 mile warranty covers track use! (Take that Nissan, for equipping your cars with a launch control system…that voids the warranty!) Of course, they don’t want you chipping the ECU, or bolting on a set of Hoosiers. The warranty is only valid for the car as delivered.
I could see some great marketing & brand awareness if GM were to start up a regional Club Car series for C7 owners; you pay a little extra for a Club-Spec C7 (1LT/Z51/Comp Seats/Harnesses & Harness Bar/Tow Hooks/etc.) and you get a few weekends of basic HPDE included in the cost of the car; then you drive your C7 Club-Spec to the track on weekends (now on your dime) and race that sucker. You smash it up, that is out of your pocket, but maybe with a nice Club-Spec Member discount. Also, tires sales go up for the Michelin guys…
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The problem for GM has always been that Corvette can't be a true Halo car for the company due to the brand mix. GM isn't just one car company it is 4 brands; Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and GMC and each of the brands has their own following. How is it a halo car for 4 brands? Chevy, yes as it always has been although not promoted now as much as it was promoted 50 years ago.

BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, VW, Audi, Honda, etc don't have that problem. They are pretty much structured as one brand. Even Ford is pretty much one brand now. Chrysler is 4 with Viper being a separate brand now.

Bill
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 AM
palindrome1H
Racer

Don't get me wrong. I like the new C7 a lot. I do however think that all discussions on this would be over and done with if they would have made the C7 mid engine. Even the hardcore purists would accept it with how unique and special it would be.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 AM
bluemax750
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I make the motion that anyone that posts bold blue on white text or any color other than black will get a 1 month ban for the first offense, a 6 month ban for the second and a 1 year ban for the third. If they still haven't learned by then, a permanent ban. Because doing so is offensive to the eyes.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

With respect to De Lorenzo's writing, I can think of few written thoughts that have comprised such a complete waste of valuable time.

A brief reiteration of common knowledge followed by several paragraphs of banal blather. The term troll comes to mind.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has this guy ever owned a corvette? Is he actually a professional?
Sounds like a rant
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I sort of agree with bluemax750
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The Alante/XLR are both long gone and Caddly is approved to come back with another, last I heard.
Must be customers walking in dealerships asking for where they are, or they wouldn't be getting ready to build em.

So why is it this would bother you with respect to the Vette?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Must be customers walking in dealerships asking for where they are, or they wouldn't be getting ready to build em.

So why is it this would bother you with respect to the Vette?
Corvette sales?? Where do you think Caddy will get the engine for such a vehicle?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...ports-car.html

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

I echo De Lorenzo’s sentiments for the most part. I said it in many other posts...the Corvette brand needs to go beyond the “great for the money, ”the plastic fantastic” and the “cheap interior is acceptable for the performance you get.” The C7 is the start of that new direction…it is what the Corvette deserves. The Corvette is arguably the most iconic sports cars in the world and it cannot continue to progress without moving beyond the box that it has been in for decades.

Corvettes are not cheap, even in standard form, so they notion of even calling it affordable does not apply anymore. Are Corvettes attainable? Yes, but certainly not affordable. The standard C7 offers amazing performance…the kind that will never be maximized on the street and most likely never on the track, unless driven by a skilled driver. The Z06 and ZR1 are special and not for everyone to own. The Z twins will continue to move upmarket because they have to in order to compete. They are the flagships and should be marketed and positioned as such.

Many Corvette traditionalists are afraid of change. They are afraid of what they think they are losing because that's what they’ve been used to for decades, but ironically, no one is losing anything. The Corvette is simply growing and every other sports car manufacturer is too. Growing the Corvette brand requires going beyond the past. GM must look forward to the Corvette’s future as well. I’d like to think that people would be happy to see the brand grow. Mediocrity will not help the Corvette in any way.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
With respect to De Lorenzo's writing, I can think of few written thoughts that have comprised such a complete waste of valuable time.

A brief reiteration of common knowledge followed by several paragraphs of banal blather. The term troll comes to mind.

Most of the current writers for anything automotive are writing much of the same useless drivel about just about any subject they cover. They all write like they are fresh out of journalism school.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by palindrome1H
Don't get me wrong. I like the new C7 a lot. I do however think that all discussions on this would be over and done with if they would have made the C7 mid engine. Even the hardcore purists would accept it with how unique and special it would be.
Kidding, right?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bluemax750
I make the motion that anyone that posts bold blue on white text or any color other than black will get a 1 month ban for the first offense, a 6 month ban for the second and a 1 year ban for the third. If they still haven't learned by then, a permanent ban. Because doing so is offensive to the eyes.
Just trying to help those who don't want to click on a link by making the text more obvious that it is not my opinion.

Off to ban camp.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM
evowake
Instructor

I stopped reading about half way through when it turned into some sort of a creepy fantasy rant rather than a useful article.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM
evowake
Instructor

Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haul my Chevy Corvette with my Chevy Tahoe. Looks like their marketing is working just fine too me...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evowake
I stopped reading about half way through when it turned into some sort of a creepy fantasy rant rather than a useful article.

That was just a bunch of ramblings by a crazy old guy (or he came off that way). Wants to separate Corvette from Chevy, but call 1 of his 3 Corvettes an SS. Isn't SS a Chevrolet only badge? Nothing else in GM uses it. And a Corvette Chaparral? A Corvette shrub? Great marketing there.

Its going to be a long wait until real C7s start being delivered and the threads go from things like this to what the car is really like. Then every one can get back to arguing about how often to change their oil and Z51 vs base suspension!!

Get notified of new replies

To Marketing the Corvette: What GM doesn’t get

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
That was just a bunch of ramblings by a crazy old guy (or he came off that way). Wants to separate Corvette from Chevy, but call 1 of his 3 Corvettes an SS. Isn't SS a Chevrolet only badge? Nothing else in GM uses it. And a Corvette Chaparral? A Corvette shrub? Great marketing there.

Its going to be a long wait until real C7s start being delivered and the threads go from things like this to what the car is really like. Then every one can get back to arguing about how often to change their oil and Z51 vs base suspension!!
Great point.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty

Sometimes it's quite helpful to actually know Corvette history before you spout off. There was a Corvette SS before the 1961 SS409 full size car. It was a Corvette designed and built by GM as a race car in 1957.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Sometimes it's quite helpful to actually know Corvette history before you spout off. There was a Corvette SS before the 1961 SS409 full size car. It was a Corvette designed and built by GM as a race car in 1957.
Yes, but SS is used by Chevrolet, and if you want to spin off Corvette to its own brand, wouldn't make sense to use SS and still have Chevy using SS also?

Plus, outside of the Corvette community, do you know anyone that associates SS with Corvette? Its a Chevrolet thing to 99% of the population that even know what SS stands for.

Quick Reply: Marketing the Corvette: What GM doesn’t get