Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less tech and more HP please!!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedVettFor2
Dont' get me wrong but I love the car and what we know about it so far but is seems like they should have packed in a little more HP. I read yesterday that the Mustang is coming out with an 850 HP version and it just seems like anything sub 550 HP (for example) is just lacking. I know we dont know final numbers and all but its hard to get excited when I hear about the HP.

Thoughts???
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jai 302
So it's wrong to compare a 55k car to a 55k car but perfectly normal to compare it to cars that cost 300k. Sure why not

A lowly Mustang can never be in the class of a Corvette but a Vanquish, Aventador and 458 Italia surely can. Nice.
THANK YOU!!!!!! one of my origonal points here.......Even if just for bragging rights I think that HP ranks up there with a lot of folks.....I understand overall performance is where the corvette shines but I still want more HP at a cheaper price!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Everybody thinks they understand horsepower. More is better. That guy at the gas station is going to ask you two questions: How many horses? How fast will it go? (Then he might make a comment about gas mileage to make himself feel better.)

Corvette's answers might not impress him -- but he was impressed enough by the car to ask in the first place. Feel good about that.

I'm not so interested in the final horsepower figure as I am the review that compares its performance and the driving experience to the 911S.

.Jinx
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Racer
Sorry, could you post tested times of this C7 that you are claiming is going to get it's *** kicked against cars up to 5 times it's price?
The underpowered ZL1 Camaro kicks the big HP GT500 after the first lap in those verified tests that have been posted.
As I mentioned I don't compare the Corvette with the Mustang, that is what the Camaro is for. those cars are muscle car or pony cars what ever you want to classify them as.

The cars it has to compete against is the Porsche, Ferrari Aston Martin The price of the cars has nothing to do with it. But the Corvette will always be judged by the other exotic sports cars, not the Mustang,, Dodge Challenger or Camaro.

We do not have any tiime's on the C7 yet as you are well aware of, but to compete with the Porsche, Ferrari, Viper, it will need to be in the low 3 second rand 0-60 and in the low 11's in the quarter mile. as that is what its competition is currently running.

What I was trying to get across is that I don't (and many others) believe that a 450 hp Corvette will not last long against it real competition. The next performance Corvette needs to come out as soon as possible.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
termigni
Cruising

Um... No. No one really needs 500+ hp. Thx.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I dont care if you can or cant hook up 600 hp to the wheels, if it comes in at 450....it is a ****** number. The 67-69 L88 Vettes layed down 450 hp....this is 2013 and we have the same HP ??

You could not get L88's or other early 427s to hook up but what a blast and they were King Kong on the roads.....The C7 will not be feared!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
I dont care if you can or cant hook up 600 hp to the wheels, if it comes in at 450....it is a ****** number. The 67-69 L88 Vettes layed down 450 hp....this is 2013 and we have the same HP ??

You could not get L88's or other early 427s to hook up but what a blast and they were King Kong on the roads.....The C7 will not be feared!
You do at least understand the kind of gas mileage today's 450 hp gets don't you? You think that is an easy accomplishment? My 1985 Vette had 230 hp to accomplish it's gas mileage requirements.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

But do we really buy Vette's for MPG's ?
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Jai 302
So it's wrong to compare a 55k car to a 55k car but perfectly normal to compare it to cars that cost 300k. Sure why not

A lowly Mustang can never be in the class of a Corvette but a Vanquish, Aventador and 458 Italia surely can. Nice.
That is 100% correct. Corvette's and Mustang's are two completely different cars. I am sure you are aware that the Corvette is a sports car, the Mustang is a muscle car. I don't know if you are aware of this but Chevrolet produces a car called a Camaro. That is what they answer to the Mustang, not the Corvette. Therefore the Corvette is and will always be compared to the exotics. That is how GM wants it. It does not matter what the difference is in the cost, it is just the plain truth that Porsche, Ferrari, GTR and Viper will be the competition of the Corvette and that is what it has to be able to beat on the track and I am not referring to true race version, but I am referring to what comes out of Bowling Green. Right now I don't think that the 2014 C7 will be able to compete with any of these other cars except the base 911. Don't forget, they have always used either the Z06 or ZR1 when testing these cars against each other and the Corvette as test was close to or well over the $100K price tag.
rcallen484
Race Director

but do we really buy vette's for mpg's ?
cafe.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RedVettFor2
Dont' get me wrong but I love the car and what we know about it so far but is seems like they should have packed in a little more HP. I read yesterday that the Mustang is coming out with an 850 HP version and it just seems like anything sub 550 HP (for example) is just lacking. I know we dont know final numbers and all but its hard to get excited when I hear about the HP.

Thoughts???
First, just to address the yet, another "Mustang" comparo. The 850hp Mustang you refer to, is a special aftermarket performance package...See Callaway, Pratt & Miller, Lingenfelter for Corvette. This package adds another $40K to the base price of the car, plus another $15K for the wide body kit. So, we're talking nearly $100K for a tire roasting, plastic and pleather interior, brick. Okay, we can put that to bed.

Now, about the Corvette. First, they're not completely done tweaking and testing it yet. They haven't built vin 00001 yet. The official specs are not in, the jury's still out.All we know is that it will be at least 450/450. Which, to have that under the hood and get nearly 30mpg highway, and the ability to comfortably drive it everyday, everywhere, anytime, for it's price point, isn't bad at all.

And really, when are you going to use anything close to 450 horses? But 450ft lbs will get you to the end of that entrance ramp pretty darn quick.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

All of this crying about HP in the C7. Nobody here has driven or rode in one yet, but the 450 number dosen't meet your standards. Where on todays highways with traffic do you think you can use this power? I wouldn't buy a Mustang no matter what the hp #'s are?
Park a Mustang next to a C7 and see what car gets all of the attention?

Why did the Grand Sport become the best selling Corvette model? It only has 436HP and the ZO6 has 505? If HP was so important the ZO6 should have been the sales leader?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BWF07
That is 100% correct. Corvette's and Mustang's are two completely different cars. I am sure you are aware that the Corvette is a sports car, the Mustang is a muscle car. I don't know if you are aware of this but Chevrolet produces a car called a Camaro. That is what they answer to the Mustang, not the Corvette. Therefore the Corvette is and will always be compared to the exotics. That is how GM wants it. It does not matter what the difference is in the cost, it is just the plain truth that Porsche, Ferrari, GTR and Viper will be the competition of the Corvette and that is what it has to be able to beat on the track and I am not referring to true race version, but I am referring to what comes out of Bowling Green. Right now I don't think that the 2014 C7 will be able to compete with any of these other cars except the base 911. Don't forget, they have always used either the Z06 or ZR1 when testing these cars against each other and the Corvette as test was close to or well over the $100K price tag.
I am not sure why you ACT(?) so clueless?
The ZR1 is the one that kicks the exotics butt.
GM has different models of Corvettes, the base C7 is not the competition of some of these cars you are talking about, that car will come in time.............you have complained about everything about this car so far, and now another ridiculous, lack of knowledge post(s). Please post the track numbers of this car that you are saying won't be at all competitive?

Haters gonna hate.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Xtreme Z06
Instructor

More Tech, Less HP please!!!

Performance with less HP is more impressive..
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme Z06
More Tech, Less HP please!!!

Performance with less HP is more impressive..

Too many bench racers want trailer/parking lot queens with big HP numbers.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by AGFNTB

Too many bench racers want trailer/parking lot queens with big HP numbers.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

you can always add power later, you can't really bolt on the tech.

Get notified of new replies

To Less tech and more HP please!!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Better get use to it as the EPA doesn't have any regs covering the minimum horsepower a car can have , but does cover gas mileage and emissions with a heavy hand.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, and those were big blocks which were 200 to 300lbs heavier than a given cast iron SBC (400 heavier than the LSX/ New LT family.)

They were also running Leaded Gasoline which is the equivalent of 113 octane, got a whopping 7 or 8 mpgs. Which means less time to enjoy the goodies under the hood, come track day.

The engines themselves were unreliable, and failure prone due to the imprecise fuel delivery system, especially at anything less than WOT. The cooling systems sucked ***** as well. The ignition system also sucked hard core, as it was pre electronic ignition.

Oh and to top it all off? That was Gross Horsepower, not Net (which means After all Accessories is on the engine) nor was it SAE certified HP. If you were to use 60s HP ratings, an L98 TPI would tip the scales at 320 horse power.

The cars themselves were piles of crap in everything but the aesthetics department and would Murder You should you even think about getting into anything more mild than a fender bender, the fiber glass quality was craptastic.

And the car's steering, braking and handling blew chunks.

Also, given GTs track record of nailing factory specs, the C7 is probably going to be abit north of 450, the figure GT5 has given us is 468 hp IIRC. And this is the Base Model car.
People that keep comparing to the GT500 also forget, Ford ain't going to sell 10k to 30k of those GT500s every year. I don't think they even build that many of them.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

if you want more hp install a supercharger or turbo, problem solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Less tech and more HP please!!