Detailing the C-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tavaresv
I'm pretty excited about the C-7 (tail light issues aside.) A bit disappointed it might take so long to get one, though.

I keep my C-5 pretty clean, often detailing the exterior after a drive. Every few drives I do the wheels, tires, interior, wheel wells, trunk and hood areas plus engine.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but since the C-7 was intro'd and I saw all those vents one of my first thoughts were: "WOW! That's going to take a lot of detail spray and fiber cloths to keep it clean!!"

And that grille! YIKES!!!

So what's an extra 30 minutes a day, eh?

Every time I park my Z (370Z) in the garage, I get my quick detail spray and take off all the bugs (and such) on the front. Check the whole care for bird poop.

Before I go out, "she" has to be presentable so I check her out. If she's been in the garage and not driven in a while, I might have to run the California duster over her.

I keep a bag/kit in the back for small cleaning emergencies. There is a lint roller behind the passenger seat in case I see something on the passenger seat or mat. And a soft cloth to clean the touch screen with.

When I traded in for my 370Z, the owner of the dealership came over to me to tell me my 4-year-old trade-in was in the best condition he'd ever seen on a car that age. LOL

Blame not taking expensive items for granted and 20 years of service in the army.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I absolutely agree........for those of us who like to keep our cars in very good (OK.....perfect!!) condition, that the C7 looks to be considerably more difficult to detail.
I agree with TALON 90 though that this is probably not what GM engineers had in mind......I posted on another thread how difficult the exhaust pipes look to clean too. They are COMPLELTY enclosed, and very close together so there'll be no more wrapping the polishing cloth around each and giving it a good grip and spin to get the Simichrome off.....now THAT body piece beneath the exhaust pipes really wasn't needed now, was it GM?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by C6NRED
I absolutely agree........for those of us who like to keep our cars in very good (OK.....perfect!!) condition, that the C7 looks to be considerably more difficult to detail.
I agree with TALON 90 though that this is probably not what GM engineers had in mind......I posted on another thread how difficult the exhaust pipes look to clean too. They are COMPLELTY enclosed, and very close together so there'll be no more wrapping the polishing cloth around each and giving it a good grip and spin to get the Simichrome off.....now THAT body piece beneath the exhaust pipes really wasn't needed now, was it GM?
Everything on the exterior was shaped in the design studio and then adjusted based on results in the wind tunnel. It is as I understand it, a benefit to the cars aero signature and to the behavior of the air exiting under the rear of the car.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
BAREFOOT JOE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be nice if the could be poped out and put in the dishwasher.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

It's all about having the right products...

Black WoW and PreWow absolutely rock for keeping plastics looking brand new. I'm also a fan of Prima Infinity for areas that need a deep finish.

Both of these products easily last 3+ months on my daily driver.

From the pictures I've seen, the parts are finished and not textured black plastic. Finished parts get waxed just like the paint.

Talon's comments about heads hitting the table, spot on...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Run through a car wash...

Just kidding
Okay, time to bebunk some myths,

Corvettes do not melt in the rain

Corvettes do not melt in the car wash...they are cars afterall (car+wash)

Corvettes will endure more than 3,000 miles a year

Corvettes are designed to be driven year-round and daily

Corvette suspension parts will not melt in road salt

Corvettes are painted and clearcoated just like the Malibu

Corvettes attired in every chrome piece that Eckler separates you from your money with will not make it faster.

Corvettes are cars.

Call me a blasphemer, a heretic, but it is all true.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Silver doesn't show off all my hard detailing work...

I'll take mine in Black.
You are in for a long tough road buddy... It's easier to teach a dog algebra than keep a black car clean. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
You are in for a long tough road buddy... It's easier to teach a dog algebra than keep a black car clean. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
My 2006 coupe was black. When I sold it a year ago it was at about 56k miles and probably looked better than the day I bought it. No swirls and no hazing anywhere on the paint. I learned a lot about detailing by having that car.

Happy to share what I know with anyone who's interested. Any members are welcome to come by my place for a wash and review. I don't even charge (though you're welcome to bring something to toss on the BBQ).

Current GS is Cyber Grey and it is significantly easier to keep clean looking. It's hard to beat the look of a clean black car (depending on the lines of the car of course)...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

My dog knows algebra....
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Unlike the C5 and C6, which have mostly rounded surfaces, the C7 has some sharp creases. Just a few rubs across the creases with anything containing even a little abrasive polish in it , and the clearcoat and paint will be gone and a little line of undercoat will be showing. At least that's what happened on lots of C2 fender creases back in the day. Perhaps I'm out of date and that's no longer a concern.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Unlike the C5 and C6, which have mostly rounded surfaces, the C7 has some sharp creases. Just a few rubs across the creases with anything containing even a little abrasive polish in it , and the clearcoat and paint will be gone and a little line of undercoat will be showing. At least that's what happened on lots of C2 fender creases back in the day. Perhaps I'm out of date and that's no longer a concern.
Still a concern.

You should cover the creases and uneven/raised panel seams with painters tape before buffing. You generally need to do these areas by hand or avoid them.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
My 2006 coupe was black. When I sold it a year ago it was at about 56k miles and probably looked better than the day I bought it. No swirls and no hazing anywhere on the paint. I learned a lot about detailing by having that car.

Happy to share what I know with anyone who's interested. Any members are welcome to come by my place for a wash and review. I don't even charge (though you're welcome to bring something to toss on the BBQ).

Current GS is Cyber Grey and it is significantly easier to keep clean looking. It's hard to beat the look of a clean black car (depending on the lines of the car of course)...
Your avitar says it all. God bless you. I agree, nothing looks better than black when clean...It 's just too much work for me and I am way too **** about cleanliness. I would have to clean my car every other day. As much as I love the look of a clean black car, I just won't do it again.

Quick Reply: Detailing the C-7