Brembo Brakes & C7 from Detroit Newspaper

Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
MDK9950
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Brembo Brakes & C7 from Detroit Newspaper

Brembo expands Michigan plant

From today’s Detroit Free Press 1/26/2013

Italian supplier Brembo has expanded its Michigan plant to produce brakes for the new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

Previously, Brembo supplied small numbers of brakes to the $111,600-plus Corvette ZR1 supercar. This is the first time the company, which specializes in lightweight, high-performance brakes, has supplied all Corvette models. Its factory in Homer, near Jackson, will assemble the brake discs and calipers into corner units that include bearings and knuckles.

Brembo ships the corner units to the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ky.

North America has become Brembo's second-largest market since it opened a tech center in Plymouth in 2010.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
mustang1999
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So the C7 is starting out with better brakes from the cheapest model up? The C7 just keeps winning!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There are so many reasons why this car can demand a higher price!! Do not be suprised by the higher entry price!! (54K-57K)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The brembos on the zr1 are great. No personal experience.

But, I seem to recall the brakes on the 2013 Shelby overheated in a magazine test, they were brembos also.

Lets hope the C7 gets the good stuff.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

The ZR1 has carbon disc not steel disc like the base C7. My V series caddy has the Brembo brakes and they perform great.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Steel brakes will perform fine for 99% of users! I am glad to see GM went with a Brembo as a starting point and also having a proven ceramic set up to meet top dog needs! I just spent over 5K for a set up for the track that I would have gladly paid extra for when I bought my car.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mustang1999
So the C7 is starting out with better brakes from the cheapest model up? The C7 just keeps winning!
Just remember one thing (or even a couple ): the Brembos that may be on the Corvette, or any other car, may or may not be exquisite, high-end brakes. They may be very good. They may even be better than anything else that has been on the car before. But, like everything, they can be, and are, "specced" (specifications written) and built to that specification, at a cost NTE (not to exceed) to the car manufacturer.

In other words, it is a form of "outsourcing" and in this case to a big name company. But the parts themselves probably won't be up to the needs/requirements of say, a Ferrari or a domestic MB (used/sold in Germany for sustained, triple-digit speeds).

That doesn't take anything away from the "name" or the performance; I'm just cautioning against believing these are some kind of super brakes which, on the aftermarket scene, would cost literally thousands of dollars, easily into the mid-4 figures up to 5-figures and more.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AORoads
Just remember one thing (or even a couple ): the Brembos that may be on the Corvette, or any other car, may or may not be exquisite, high-end brakes. They may be very good. They may even be better than anything else that has been on the car before. But, like everything, they can be, and are, "specced" (specifications written) and built to that specification, at a cost NTE (not to exceed) to the car manufacturer.

In other words, it is a form of "outsourcing" and in this case to a big name company. But the parts themselves probably won't be up to the needs/requirements of say, a Ferrari or a domestic MB (used/sold in Germany for sustained, triple-digit speeds).

That doesn't take anything away from the "name" or the performance; I'm just cautioning against believing these are some kind of super brakes which, on the aftermarket scene, would cost literally thousands of dollars, easily into the mid-4 figures up to 5-figures and more.
I agree, but I would like to have the option of getting something that will fit my needs at the track included in the base cost rather than purchasing a complete new system on top of what I have already purchased. Z06 brakes were not up to the task for full track duty and hope the Z51 offers more!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

GM has said it wants to sell the Stingray in EU, I think it more likely it will have autobhan quality brakes, not less.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Exactly! GM could have had ANY brake supplier make the brakes to the specification they wrote. The brakes will be as good as GM decides they want, not as good as BREMBO decides. That is why it amazes me people cry about the Bose stereo. Bose knows how to make good stuff. Some Bose is junk, and some is not. But the Bose on the Corvette is whatever GM was able to work out with Bose to meet a compromise of cost and performance. Brembo will do the same with the brakes.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Exactly! GM could have had ANY brake supplier make the brakes to the specification they wrote. The brakes will be as good as GM decides they want, not as good as BREMBO decides. That is why it amazes me people cry about the Bose stereo. Bose knows how to make good stuff. Some Bose is junk, and some is not. But the Bose on the Corvette is whatever GM was able to work out with Bose to meet a compromise of cost and performance. Brembo will do the same with the brakes.
That is the great part about this forum, we get the advanced notice on how this stuff works!!! That way we can decide if its worth the investment upfront!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Someone say Brembo?...

That plant near Jackson is an old Kelsey-Hayes factory....toured it once years ago.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06

But, I seem to recall the brakes on the 2013 Shelby overheated in a magazine test, they were brembos also.

The ZR1 brake rotors are cheramic - not so on the horse! The base model Brembos are better then C6 brakes, so the C7 is going to be a big improvement with Brembos on them. Wonder if the C7 Z06 will get cheramic rotors as a standard item, like the ZR1?

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 01-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford's brake specifications just like the GT500's inadequate tires. GM is much better at this.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
The ZR1 brake rotors are cheramic - not so on the horse! The base model Brembos are better then C6 brakes, so the C7 is going to be a big improvement with Brembos on them. Wonder if the C7 Z06 will get cheramic rotors as a standard item, like the ZR1?
I think the big idea here is if you want to upgrade your performance to the Z51 you get some brakes that can handle track duty from GM without spending 5K for a set of after market brakes that you have to trust are properly engineered for your car. So at a price point of half of that you get more brakes because you are already invested in what the car would come with! Kind of like upgrading your C6 interior to world class...use half of what GM would spend to get you to a good C6 interior and double it and get a great C7 interior.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
GM has said it wants to sell the Stingray in EU, I think it more likely it will have autobhan quality brakes, not less.
While I can't disagree because I haven't (and no one else has, to my knowledge) tested the car in Europe for extended hours, let's recall that "Euro-spec" cars don't always have the same equipment on them, i.e., tail lights, oil requirements, etc.

Those may be minor, and I tend to doubt that real performance items will be different. But, so far there may be only one, production, out-the-door C6 that can perform and stop at consistent, hours-long, autobahn speeds. And it is over $100K MSRP, the ZR1.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm just cautioning against believing these are some kind of super brakes which, on the aftermarket scene, would cost literally thousands of dollars, easily into the mid-4 figures up to 5-figures and more.
A good set of steel-rotor Brembos will run $5-6K, give or take. While they're more expensive than the C6's base car brakes, and even the Z06's brakes, they're not that expensive. Where you get your "5-figures and more" from is beyond me. That is unless you're specifically quoting Ferrari or Porsche pricing with their carbon ceramic brakes...

...but that's not what we have here on the C7.

Your attempt at whizzing on the excitement regarding the Brembos on the base C7 is, quite honestly, pathetic. The point of the excitement is: THEY'RE NOT FLOATING CALIPERS ANYMORE! Further, they're not made by that 3rd-rate brake company named PBR.

The base C5 was and is a reasonably fast car. So is the base C6. There's no reason, other than, "they're too heavy and too expensive" for Corvette to have continued using those cruddy floating calipers from PBR. Simply put: floaters are garbage when significant amounts of heat are pumped into the system. They flex, bend, and generally don't hold up to the abuse as well as a fixed caliper does.

As much as I love Corvettes, this is the one mechanical area I've always criticized them about. It wasn't until the ZR1(!) that they finally addressed the issue. You'll say, "But wait! The C6 Z06 did with the fixed 6-pot calipers!" No, the Z06 attempted to, but they were still made by PBR and were (and are) garbage. Padlets? Gimme a break. I need real brakes, please.

What we have on the base C7 is a set of calipers made by a well-known, top-rated brake company. Those calipers will hold up to the continued abuse of track duty, and will give owners a huge catalog of pads they can choose from, should they desire.

There's absolutely nothing but good news regarding this new alliance between Corvette and Brembo.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Brembo Brakes & C7 from Detroit Newspaper

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has to do with weight of the vehicle, cooling and rotor size. The vette has a light vehicle, great cooling ducts and oversized rotors. The slotted rotors will help with more surface area than drilled.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Ford's brake specifications just like the GT500's inadequate tires. GM is much better at this.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone was watching, the Ganassi racecar changed out brake assemblies in 1.5 minutes three times at Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona. Seeing that Brembo is assembling a similar setup for the C7 (hub carriers, bearings, calipers, rotors, etc.), all we need is a quick disconnect brake line to swap out track and street setups. This is great news! Track use wears out all these parts, not just pads. The heat cooks the seals in the caliper pistons and wheel bearings, so being able to pull everything as a unit will allow us to do overhauls on a bench. Now we just need to be able to buy the whole assembly at a price lower than ala carte.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes & C7 from Detroit Newspaper