Sponsored by:

Over/under 200mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over/under 200mph

So I was a little bored and decided to do math. If the c7 can come in at around 3100lb, has a cd a few pts under 3, has hp on the high side of the 400's and if that otherwise useless 7th gear puts the peak of the hp curve where it needs to be this car will hit 2 bills. Narrower tires, smaller cross section, lower drag... Just wanted to say it first, not saying it might happen or I hope it happens, just saying if it was an engineering goal it's perfectly attainable. 30mpg/200mph would be quite the throwing of the gauntlet.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wouldn't matter to me, honestly. I've never topped out my Z06. Not sure I ever would have the opportunity.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 AM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's not really "doing math". Plus the car will top out in fifth, not seventh, and weight has virtually no effect on top speed. If we had exact specs on frontal area, coefficient of drag, and power curve we might be able to punch it into CarTest and get within 5 mph. But we don't.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HurricaneRN
So I was a little bored and decided to do math. If the c7 can come in at around 3100lb, has a cd a few pts under 3, has hp on the high side of the 400's and if that otherwise useless 7th gear puts the peak of the hp curve where it needs to be this car will hit 2 bills. Narrower tires, smaller cross section, lower drag... Just wanted to say it first, not saying it might happen or I hope it happens, just saying if it was an engineering goal it's perfectly attainable. 30mpg/200mph would be quite the throwing of the gauntlet.
Keep dreaming, C7 Cd is 0.3 and the car weighs more than last C6 and 7th gear is not designed to achieve top speed. This thing will be lucky to keep up with last C6 base, no matter what GM will claim.

C6 base LS3 did 192 drag limited, GS 182-185, C7 maybe can hit 190
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glhs386
That's not really "doing math". Plus the car will top out in fifth, not seventh, and weight has virtually no effect on top speed. If we had exact specs on frontal area, coefficient of drag, and power curve we might be able to punch it into CarTest and get within 5 mph. But we don't.
Wouldn't it top out in 6th now with the 7th gear? I thought that was the benefit of the extra gear. Closer gear ratios and now 6th being a top speed gear instead of an overdrive gear?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by petermj
Keep dreaming, C7 Cd is 0.3 and the car weighs more than last C6 and 7th gear is not designed to achieve top speed. This thing will be lucky to keep up with last C6 base, no matter what GM will claim.

I'd like to see you put money on that.

The base C7 will top out around 190MPH...

But more importantly, performance-wise, the base C6 won't be able to keep up with the base C7... at all.

Not in the turns, not in a straight line, not in braking, not acceleration... I'm not sure where you're basing your conclusions, but even if the peak HP was the same as the LS3, the C7 makes CONSIDERABLY more torque and more power under the curve. It also has better aerodynamics and suspension. I have no idea how you think the base C7 will "be lucky to keep up" with the base C6.

First off, if GM released a base new gen Corvette that didn't exceed the performance of the previous base, they wouldn't release it at all. Not in this market, anyway.

So I'd love to make a wager with you. $100 says that the base C7 beats the base C6 in the quarter mile and in track times.

Up for a friendly bet?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

But more importantly, performance-wise, the base C6 won't be able to keep up with the base C7... at all.

Not in the turns, not in a straight line, not in braking, not acceleration... I'm not sure where you're basing your conclusions, but even if the peak HP was the same as the LS3, the C7 makes CONSIDERABLY more torque and more power under the curve. It also has better aerodynamics and suspension. I have no idea how you think the base C7 will "be lucky to keep up" with the base C6.

First off, if GM released a base new gen Corvette that didn't exceed the performance of the previous base, they wouldn't release it at all. Not in this market, anyway.

So I'd love to make a wager with you. $100 says that the base C7 beats the base C6 in the quarter mile and in track times.

Up for a friendly bet?
Z51 NPP LS3 base vs. C7 and on the same tires? Remind me when that car is available. I can always use extra money.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

No... Base C6 vs. Base C7... OR C6 GS vs C7 Z51.

Apples to apples... Take your pick.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

No... Base C6 vs. Base C7... OR C6 GS vs C7 Z51.

Apples to apples... Take your pick.
Uhm no, apples to apples. Do not be afraid to face the truth about C7.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Uhm no, apples to apples. Do not be afraid to face the truth about C7.

Really? I wanted you to put your money where your mouth is.

Base vs base... Don't be afraid. Just $100. Cheap bet. You said base. I'm saying base. No special RPO on either base. Just C6 vs C7. Put up or shut up.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Really? I wanted you to put your money where your mouth is.

Base vs base... Don't be afraid. Just $100. Cheap bet. You said base. I'm saying base. No special RPO on either base. Just C6 vs C7. Put up or shut up.
Oh wow, so Z51 NPP car is not a base anymore? What are you afraid of? Last time I checked, my car was a base car, are you saying GM lied to me?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 AM
JamRWS6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignorance is bliss...
Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Oh wow, so Z51 NPP car is not a base anymore? What are you afraid of? Last time I checked, my car was a base car, are you saying GM lied to me?
Z51 is NOT base. You may have base trim, but Z51 is a performance add-on package.

So if we use YOUR reasoning, Z51 is still base... SO...

Z51 NNP C6 should go up against a Z51 mag suspension C7... It's still base, right?

OK, lets take that bet. Right now. $100. Good to go?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Z51 is NOT base. You may have base trim, but Z51 is a performance add-on package.

So if we use YOUR reasoning, Z51 is still base... SO...

Z51 NNP C6 should go up against a Z51 mag suspension C7... It's still base, right?

OK, lets take that bet. Right now. $100. Good to go?
Oh wow, I just learned something new. And yes, you can put it up against any version of C7 you can come up with as long as the tires are the same on both cars.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

They can be on the same tire, but I don't think we're going to get track times like that.

STOCK FOR STOCK... Take the bet or no? Don't be afraid. You say that the C7 will be LUCKY to keep up with the C6. If that's the case, what does the tire matter? If you're right, the tires won't matter. The C6 should demolish the C7...

SO... Again, taking the bet or are you too scared?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

They can be on the same tire, but I don't think we're going to get track times like that.

STOCK FOR STOCK... Take the bet or no? Don't be afraid. You say that the C7 will be LUCKY to keep up with the C6. If that's the case, what does the tire matter? If you're right, the tires won't matter. The C6 should demolish the C7...

SO... Again, taking the bet or are you too scared?
The tires make all the difference on corvette. I know since I run 275/325 set up on my car. You really do not want C7 to compete with C6 with this size of rubber though, Tadge would be very upset...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

So you're saying you're scurd? It's OK... How about odds then?

Get notified of new replies

To Over/under 200mph

Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

So you're saying you're scurd? It's OK... How about odds then?
Scured? Yes, I am very secured if this is what you attempted to spell.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scurd
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Up for a friendly bet?
Forget the "base" C6, the real "base" C6 for the last 3 years has been the GS. We'll see how much GM claims for the C7 can beat the GM GS numbers of 0-60 in 3.95sec. and lateral Gs of 1.0.

Quick Reply: Over/under 200mph