Sponsored by:

Hot Air Flow

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot Air Flow

Been wondering ... haven't noted anyone else bring it up ..

BUT I must wonder how they are keeping the hot air from getting into the fresh air intake for the AC or Heater...

As per the attached photo it shows the hot air exiting the hood vent and flowing toward and over the windshield????

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only 1/3 of air going through radiator exits through hood vent and it will be mixing with all the air going over the hood so I really don't think it will affect it much. Hot air under hood also will be exiting through side vents on front fender's.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenutchas
Only 1/3 of air going through radiator exits through hood vent and it will be mixing with all the air going over the hood so I really don't think it will affect it much. Hot air under hood also will be exiting through side vents on front fender's.
And how hot is it? It passes through the radiator at whatever speed you are going so it all happens VERY quickly.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And the faster you go there is a increase in air passing over the hood so it is really a constantly changing mix of under hood and over hood air.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wonder what it will be like for vert drivers.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005

BUT I must wonder how they are keeping the hot air from getting into the fresh air intake for the AC or Heater...

As per the attached photo it shows the hot air exiting the hood vent and flowing toward and over the windshield????

I've been wondering if this subject would come up. I learned years ago on 427 C2s that if you open up the side or rear hood vents, hot air does indeed pass into your hvac intake and also flows around the A pillars and in your open side windows, making it even hotter inside than if the vents were sealed. But that was when performance cars usually didn't have A/C.

I assume the C7 engineers considered this but decided it was a non-issue because nowdays everyone can just turn on the A/C.

One of the nice things about the design of the C6 coupes is that there is very little air turbulence inside the car with windows down, even at highway speeds. This allows me to enjoy driving with A/C off, windows down. I fully expect I'll have to run the A/C more often on my C7, but at least it doesn't rob so much power as in the old days.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM
hue008x
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot Air Flow

Actually I brought this question up on my first and only post back on the 24th of January. I have wondered the same thing about others with this feature such as the dearly departed Ford GT but I never got any feedback. So I guess it is probably not a considerable problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by hue008x
Actually I brought this question up on my first and only post back on the 24th of January. I have wondered the same thing about others with this feature such as the dearly departed Ford GT but I never got any feedback. So I guess it is probably not a considerable problem.
I guess we'll just have to run the A/C a little more frequently. With over 450 foot pounds of torque we probably won't even feel it engage
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

The intake snorkle goes over the radiator and gets cool air from the front of the car (just like the C6 and C6). The radiator exhaust is naturally vented into the hood.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I wish I could remeber the technical explaination that Tadge gave us at the reveal, but my old memory can't retireve it. I do remmber that Tadge was telling us how the airflow was carefully studied to prevent just the thing you are asking about. So yes, they addressed it during the design stage.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
The intake snorkle goes over the radiator and gets cool air from the front of the car (just like the C6 and C6). The radiator exhaust is naturally vented into the hood.
Where did you see this? I thought I the air intake was on the passenger side of the car and the air in front of the radiator but from around the side of it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I guess we'll just have to run the A/C a little more frequently.
Possibly less, if the C7 cooling arrangement results in lower temperatures under the hood and in the tunnel. The C6 floor and console get so toasty that the A/C is engaged even on cool days.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

AC gives you dry air. Even on cold damp days you want the air warm and dry. No window fog!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Where did you see this? I thought I the air intake was on the passenger side of the car and the air in front of the radiator but from around the side of it.
Good catch - there is no "snorkel" as we've gotten accustomed to with C5 & C6.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a look at this pic and you can see there is an opening to a tunnel that matches the hood's vent. I bet this tunnel is designed (something I always wondered why manufactured don't that) to transfer the hot air from the radiator to the vent and also and water coming from the vent would drain out to the ground. This way all the heat from the radiator would be dissipated and the engine heat will exist from the side vents. I love all these new vents to keep the system cool.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the snorkel in the pic draws incoming air from the grill area and directs it through the hood to create downforce and possibly draw heat from the radiator as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

In one of the videos describing the car one of the engineers claim the intake is so efficient that an after market piece will not gain any power.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
wonder what it will be like for vert drivers.
I doubt there will be any real noticeable difference. There is a lot more heat from the console area that I hope they have fixed!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKTA
I think the snorkel in the pic draws incoming air from the grill area and directs it through the hood to create downforce and possibly draw heat from the radiator as well.
That was described and expalined at the unvail. Depicted here many times. Tadge went over this on 1/13.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Air Flow

Quick Reply: Hot Air Flow