Sponsored by:

Saw it in person - rear still not working for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Also the Carbon flash contrasting "accents" all over the car need to be omitted. All those vents and scoops should either be semi gloss black or body color. Hopefully they run out of Carbon Flash paint before the C7 Z06 comes out.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I was not 100% in favor of the rear tailight, but after I saw it yesterday. I think the C7 is a bad *** car all around.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Saw the C7 yesterday at the awesome Corvette day at the Peterson Museum. A big thank to all involved to get this car out to LA for this incredible debut.

As many have reported it is true the new C7 is actually better looking in real life than in pictures. The front of the car is absolutely stunning and has some of the best headlights in the entire auto industry. The creases and swoop of the hood are fantastic.

Side is gorgeous too! My only worry from the pics, the side vents, do not look as bad in real life it is more curved and less GTR looking in the flesh. Still too long but great looking.

Now comes the rear end - I was with my dad who is in his 60's and a lifelong Corvette guy - the one person most responsible for my obsession with them. He has never been on this forum or privy to any of the discussions about the rear end. We both marveled about the new design talking it in from front to side and made our way to the back. As soon as we rounded the corner and looked at the tail of the car he blurted out

"Looks like a Camaro".

Sorry the rear does NOT work. It is not just the tail lights, it is too busy and clunky. Way too many shapes and surfaces that just does not feel like they committed to one motif for the rear of the car. It looks worse in person because the rest of the car looks so so good - so bold and fresh- that the back end just stands out as a hodge-podge of ideas thrown into a blender(a Japanese one made by Nissan).

Also what is interesting as they had more than one version of every Corvette ever made, and looking at the rear end from C1-C6 there is a unifying simplicity of great strong design regardless of tail light shape. The new 2014 Corvette is missing that.

C7 needs a cleaner sexier rear end that has to match the rest of the car.

Also the Carbon flash contrasting "accents" all over the car need to be omitted. All those vents and scoops should either be semi gloss black or body color. Hopefully they run out of Carbon Flash paint before the C7 Z06 comes out.

Great write up. I am getting the same thing from my sons. It is clear that some people see the Camaro resembeance, and others don't. Both groups include rational people with good vision.

I totally cannot figure out why. I saw it a little bit with the first Jalopnik render, but as we got closer to the real thing (especially the Keeks leaks) I found them to be totally different as the details emerged. The side by side comparos some folks have posted only reinforced my strong feelings about this. I wholeheartedly see almost zero resemblence -- maybe a tiny bit of family genetics, but VERY tiny. And then, show those pics to some people and they say -- "...looks like a Camaro." They think I'm and I think they are

Bottom line will be (a) how many people like the C7 vs. don't and (b) of those who like it AND see a Camaro resemblance, will that impact their purchase decision?

If I were a betting man, I'd say the new lights will sell more Vettes than cost them sales -- but there will be cases of both for sure...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

LOL. The rearend of the 458 is the worst part. In fact, that whole design is ugly.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Stingray23
LOL. The rearend of the 458 is the worst part. In fact, that whole design is ugly.
That may be your opinion, but I find the 458 to be sex on wheels.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I still can't understand how anyone can come away saying it looks like a Camaro. I don't get this at all. Personally, I think the C5 and C6 are too plain in the back end, and I own a C5. To me the C7 is refreshing, like they actually spent some time putting some detail into it. Look at the Ferrari 458. They didn't just give it a plain back end. It's got a lot of detail to it, shapes and surfaces.

The bottom line is you can't please everyone. We've had "plain" for a long time. Now it is time for the other Corvette buyers who want more detail to have their chance.

Michael
As much as I like the 458, I do NOT like the rear end on it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
That rear end is hideous.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
That rear end is hideous.
It makes me like the back end of the C7 even more.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
That's the attitude that says so much about you. Not very Corvette people friendly on the surface of that comment.
Yep, that's one of the reasons with that attitude why people don't like Corvette owners, why Corvette's are keyed. Because there are people like him who have an arrogant rich boy attitude and thinks he is so much better than others because of a car.

As for the C7, I still can't stand the rear end. Haven't seen it in person yet and at this point I really don't care to. If I don't like the pictures, why would I bother to see it in person?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Armalite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Give it three years and then let's see how how many folks who initially said they didn't like the C7, but by then own one, or wish they could afford to buy it.
I hope you're right. I love my 2011 Z06 and I would like to upgrade to the performance model C7 if only I could bring myself to like the way the car looks. Hopefully over time it will grow on me, otherwise I'll have to look elsewhere when it comes time to upgrade from the C6 Z06.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Please don't compare the 458 with a C7. That's just brutal. Look at the simple design of the SINGLE tail lights. Why couldn't GM design something that nice??
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sam90lx
There is alot of contrast on rear of the 458, the difference is it flows very well with the whole car.
^this
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

The OP did a logical and well written summary of their observations. To each their own of course....me, I like what I have seen of the C7 (photos/video only) but, the rear design is not consistent with the rest of the style.....almost like GM went out of its way to say "hey, we are hip and different....we broke with tradition here, so pay attention." No doubt it will sell very well. But that particular element of the overall concept is the weakest. JMHO.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw the C7 yesterday at the awesome Corvette day at the Peterson Museum. A big thank to all involved to get this car out to LA for this incredible debut.

As many have reported it is true the new C7 is actually better looking in real life than in pictures. The front of the car is absolutely stunning and has some of the best headlights in the entire auto industry. The creases and swoop of the hood are fantastic.

Side is gorgeous too! My only worry from the pics, the side vents, do not look as bad in real life it is more curved and less GTR looking in the flesh. Still too long but great looking.

Now comes the rear end - I was with my dad who is in his 60's and a lifelong Corvette guy - the one person most responsible for my obsession with them. He has never been on this forum or privy to any of the discussions about the rear end. We both marveled about the new design talking it in from front to side and made our way to the back. As soon as we rounded the corner and looked at the tail of the car he blurted out

"Looks like a Camaro".

Sorry the rear does NOT work. It is not just the tail lights, it is too busy and clunky. Way too many shapes and surfaces that just does not feel like they committed to one motif for the rear of the car. It looks worse in person because the rest of the car looks so so good - so bold and fresh- that the back end just stands out as a hodge-podge of ideas thrown into a blender(a Japanese one made by Nissan).

Also what is interesting as they had more than one version of every Corvette ever made, and looking at the rear end from C1-C6 there is a unifying simplicity of great strong design regardless of tail light shape. The new 2014 Corvette is missing that.

Excellently crafted review of your initial impressions - thanks for sharing your thoughts as well as those of your Dad.

I am totally on board with your impression that most of the C7 is "stunning, gorgeous, and great looking" - not to mention an engineering marvel. Then comes the rear end. I am on the side of those who think it an abomination of design, disconnected from the rest of the car's overall design. A mismatched pallet of chrome, paint, vents, colors, textures - crowned with Camaro'esce tail lights, no matter how hard some squint to say they do not resemble them.

But what troubles me even more, is why GM would risk such a polarizing rear end design when they want, NEED, every sale they can muster of the new C7?

I think I find my frustration best expressed from the ending quote in the movie Charlie Wilson's war. on how the US handled the Afganisatn Conflict. . . . . "These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... ...and then we f_ _ _ed up the end game." -

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Looks like a Camaro".

Thanks for your write up.
The white Ferrari in this thread is awesome . not in the same universe as the C7..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I doubt anyone would admit it but I wonder if anyone in GM is doubting the rear tail lights now? I am sure they know that it got more jeers than cheers. And what puzzles me is that I was reading march 2013 of motor trend on page 38. The little footnote box says they changed the design due to hearing a corvette owner who was complaining that the rear section hasnt changed in years. I wonder is this guy or girl loves the new rear end?

Get notified of new replies

To Saw it in person - rear still not working for me

Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Free eye exams at the Mayo clinic.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Free eye exams at the Mayo clinic.
Free lobotomies too.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well thought out review. Thanks for sharing it. Some will like it and some won't. I saw it yesterday at the Petersen and tried hard to see the Camaro in it and couldn't. I found I really liked the rear end on it with it's angles and depth. My wife however does see Camaro in it and isn't as excited but in my case, my car is about what I see in it and not what she see's because she won't be driving it!

Thanks again for sharing your unbiased thoughts.

Originally Posted by pTr73
I am sure they know that it got more jeers than cheers.
Statistically speaking, you are very incorrect. The C7 infact has gotten much more cheer the jeer.

Last edited by slief; 03-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Saw it in person - rear still not working for me