Sponsored by:

C7 Vert Interior, GM needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Ike Witt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Vert Interior, GM needs help

After seeing the seats on the Coupe at the Amelia Island Concours, which in my opinion are really nice. I will humbly retract my stating that the Geneva International Car Show Convertible was a show car and concede that fact that it a mule/prototype
I appreciate quality and will save further judgement until i can experience the car realtime.

GM never fails to amaze me.

First of all, I like the new Vert and I am not a hater or troll, just totally amazed at the
Lackluster attention to detail of the new Vert’s leather interior. I was in the leather business for quite a while, and am not claiming to be an expert, but give me a break.
This is supposed to be a show car. The upgraded interior???
So many uneven seams, wrong thread and needle size, wrinkled gussets. The third pic showing where the leather meets the headrest seat frame is laughable. Hardly any
Double top stitching especially on the dash.
Sadly it does not cost that much more to use a higher quality calf skin, and to train
The craftsmen to do it correctly, especially when you have several years and a blank canvas to work with, and you are hyping the uprgraded interior.
Pics were from Geneva introduction at corvetteforum.com/articles/c7/

Last edited by Ike Witt; 03-10-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: retraction of opinion
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 228 Posts

This is a joke right?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IBTL. Never mind the lack of attention to detail, hopefully things will get better with actual production cars but what is up with the seats themselves? Did the GM pull another fast one and kept the bottoms from C6 seats? These seats look at least odd, looking like C4 style seatbacks slammed on top of C6 bottoms. What happen to seat bottom bolstering?

I hope this is not the actual seat C7 will come with.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Aren't the production units supposed to be made by the same supplier to that infallible co., Porsche?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Aren't the production units supposed to be made by the same supplier to that infallible co., Porsche?
No rich corinthean leather?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I'll withhold judgement until I see it in person. Those photos are of such poor quality that I can't really see any details in them.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Interior trim=prototype?

I noticed some of this as well.
Isn't this model a prototype? I'm sure the production models will have better quality control...especially after this thread!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj

Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kvett
I noticed some of this as well.
Isn't this model a prototype? I'm sure the production models will have better quality control...especially after this thread!

Yes, that's true. This is a prototype.

However, can we use the C5 and C6 interiors to give us some idea of the sort of interior quality we can expect?

You can't raise the quality of the materials and construction and keep the price point the same. Something has to give. Since the price point has only moved slightly, I don't think we can expect a huge upgrade in the interior quality, particularly in the base car. And what's really bad about that is that even if someone is inclined to pay a large chunk of money (we'll use the $4,000 "leather wrapped" option as an example), they still get the same, el cheapo frame and padding.

So no, I'm not optimistic that Chevrolet will make substantial improvements in the interior. That was promised with the C6 over the C5 and we saw only minor changes. I think that will be the case here as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
LT1_BlackC4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj

Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Yes, that's true. This is a prototype.

However, can we use the C5 and C6 interiors to give us some idea of the sort of interior quality we can expect?

You can't raise the quality of the materials and construction and keep the price point the same. Something has to give. Since the price point has only moved slightly, I don't think we can expect a huge upgrade in the interior quality, particularly in the base car. And what's really bad about that is that even if someone is inclined to pay a large chunk of money (we'll use the $4,000 "leather wrapped" option as an example), they still get the same, el cheapo frame and padding.

So no, I'm not optimistic that Chevrolet will make substantial improvements in the interior. That was promised with the C6 over the C5 and we saw only minor changes. I think that will be the case here as well.
This is a pre-production car. Some if the show cars don't even have an interior installed!

Reports are the interior is much improved quality wise and looks wise alone is WAY better than previous versions. Proof will be in the actual production version. From the two people I know who saw the car in person, they said the interior did look much improved based on what they could see.

But hey, let's have a "world is falling apart" discussion on the interior because of a few Internet pictures of a pre-production car. The rear end has been beaten to death so lets move on to something else like the bad quality interior

Last edited by gthal; 03-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say my Cayman never had any issues like that. While I loved my C5Z, and thought my C6 was okay - the interiors were extremely lacking compared to the Porsche, and even my M3. The worst thing about both was the seats. Awful and unacceptable for track duties. At least the new ones seem to have some lateral support.

The new interior is a step forward in design, but I still question the quality. Hoping for the final version to be great. I'm rooting for the Vette.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mkiv808
I will say my Cayman never had any issues like that. While I loved my C5Z, and thought my C6 was okay - the interiors were extremely lacking compared to the Porsche, and even my M3. The worst thing about both was the seats. Awful and unacceptable for track duties. At least the new ones seem to have some lateral support.

The new interior is a step forward in design, but I still question the quality. Hoping for the final version to be great. I'm rooting for the Vette.
Your Cayman has nicer interior....but it is slow.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why expect perfection off the assembly line now? Much ado about nothing. As soon as you sit on the seat it's going to start stretching, wrinkling, etc. These aren't museum pieces. They're sports cars and compared to the competition, a hell of a bargain at that. Sit in the seat. Grip the steering wheel. Press the accelerator. Drive the thing until the tires are bald and then buy more tires. Get a flippin' life, already.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 228 Posts

It really disturbs me that GM seems to be using only a double helix stitching pattern in those photos where as the more posh European interiors (BMW, Porsche, etc) use a triple helix pattern for superior strength and style. I can also see it appears that the crinkles and creases in the leather are most likely due to only steaming the material at 30C (probably for cost savings) instead of 42C like the Euro counterpoints. Really **** poor quality job by GM, looks identical to the C6 interior imo.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelman
Your Cayman has nicer interior....but it is slow.
The Cayman does NOT have a nicer interior! I rented a Cayman last year and it's very bland and hard plastic on the dash. It's nothing special (not even close). Porsche interiors have improved but you have to go for the top of the line options for a nice interior. That said, I still prefer the C7 interior in looks and more technology and I'm not doubting the quality this time around.

And to the OP, what exactly did you do in the leather business? And how can you tell the "hand" of the leather by just looking at it?

But I do agree with you regarding the wrinkling around some of the seams. Hopefully GM corrects this on production cars.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I looked at the high res photos. While there may be some imperfections, I don't see it to be as bad as you might. Also, given that these cars are pre-production prototypes, I ‘d assume that the seat coverings are hand laid out and not from final patterns. Also, given that these cars are pretty much right of the press, it may be conceivable that the leather on the seats and other surfaces has not had chance to stretch completely. As for the stitching, it looks pretty consistent to me though I do see a couple areas where lines could be straighter. Again, that might simply be a factor of a prototype, rush job or simply that the seats have not really been sat in or broken in.

Either way, I think this interior is leap years ahead of the C6 both in style and quality. For those complaining about double stitching vs triple etc, there will always be something to improve upon. Just remember, this isn't a Benz, Porsche, Jag or Austin. It's an American made sports car sold for a fraction of the cost of any comparable European car. Not to mention that I would be extremely shocked to not find flaws in any leather interiors short of maybe a $150K plus car. I’d bet I could look at my brothers Mercedes CLS and find flaws too! we learn to take the good with the bad and hopefully covet or at the very least appreciate what we own and can afford.

Last edited by slief; 03-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Vert Interior, GM needs help

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMc
Why expect perfection off the assembly line now? Much ado about nothing. As soon as you sit on the seat it's going to start stretching, wrinkling, etc. These aren't museum pieces. They're sports cars and compared to the competition, a hell of a bargain at that. Sit in the seat. Grip the steering wheel. Press the accelerator. Drive the thing until the tires are bald and then buy more tires. Get a flippin' life, already.
WTF does having a life have to do with appreciating quality???
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slief
I looked at the high res photos. While there may be some imperfections, I don't see it to be as bad as you might. Also, given that these cars are pre-production prototypes, I ‘d assume that the seat coverings are hand laid out and not from final patterns. Also, given that these cars are pretty much right of the press, it may be conceivable that the leather on the seats and other surfaces has not had chance to stretch completely. As for the stitching, it looks pretty consistent to me though I do see a couple areas where lines could be straighter. Again, that might simply be a factor of a prototype, rush job or simply that the seats have not really been sat in or broken in.

Either way, I think this interior is leap years ahead of the C6 both in style and quality. I would be extremely shocked to not find flaws in any leather interiors short of maybe a $150K plus car. I’d bet I could look at my brothers Mercedes CLS and find flaws too!

And your brothers CLS starts at $72K and yes you can find flaws. My $100K SL has many flaws! But that's no excuse for GM imo.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GmdVT
It really disturbs me that GM seems to be using only a double helix stitching pattern in those photos where as the more posh European interiors (BMW, Porsche, etc) use a triple helix pattern for superior strength and style. I can also see it appears that the crinkles and creases in the leather are most likely due to only steaming the material at 30C (probably for cost savings) instead of 42C like the Euro counterpoints. Really **** poor quality job by GM, looks identical to the C6 interior imo.
Wonder if that's how they can sell a car that beats $100,000 competition for $60,000?

And, seriously? You're on crack

Quick Reply: C7 Vert Interior, GM needs help