C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much rwhp will the auto tranny take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 AM
qictrk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How much rwhp will the auto tranny take?

Wonder how much additional hp the new car will take. As you can see I don't have a Corvette yet, but it is one that I'm considering. The only thing is, it has to be an auto tranny for me because almost all the roads around me are either going up or down a little. I've used my left leg enough in the past. No more of that. I always mod every car I get, 450hp is just not enough. If the Z06 had an auto, that would be great, but I don't think its going to happen. Cecil..........
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's likely going to be rated by GM around 480-500 BHP. This is pretty much what they always do. The transmissions usually are rated for about 50HP more than the car makes from the factory.

What it's ACTUALLY going to handle won't be known until the aftermarket guys get their hands on it. One of the selling points of the higher end models - in GM's case - is to make it seem that if you want to make more power (perhaps match or best the higher performance trim) you will need to spend the extra money to beef up the drive train too. Higher performance packages always come with the items that make it "beefier" overall.

I have no idea if the auto in the C7s will take a serious beating from higher power engines, but I'm going to guess you have some wiggle room at least up until 450-480 RWHP.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qictrk
Wonder how much additional hp the new car will take. As you can see I don't have a Corvette yet, but it is one that I'm considering. The only thing is, it has to be an auto tranny for me because almost all the roads around me are either going up or down a little. I've used my left leg enough in the past. No more of that. I always mod every car I get, 450hp is just not enough. If the Z06 had an auto, that would be great, but I don't think its going to happen. Cecil..........
Best for you is to contact Hennessey rep who posts on CF, I bet he will tell you it will be 1000 hp
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
qictrk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a new transmission or are they using one that has been around for awhile? I thought maybe its the one from the C6 and the people that have modded on it, would have a pretty good idea. Cecil.........
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this a new transmission or are they using one that has been around for awhile? I thought maybe its the one from the C6 and the people that have modded on it, would have a pretty good idea. Cecil.........
I don't know. But I'd venture a guess that it's a modified version of the previous 6L80.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I don't know. But I'd venture a guess that it's a modified version of the previous 6L80.
Or maybe even a version of the 6L90 (stronger/upgraded version of the 6L80 that's used in the Cadillac CTS-V and the Camaro ZL1).

I have roughly 460hp (roughly 400 at the wheels) through my stock (other than the higher stall torque converter and auxiliary transmission cooler) 6L80 in my C6, no problems at all even with hundreds of wide open throttle drag strip passes.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Or maybe even a version of the 6L90 (stronger/upgraded version of the 6L80 that's used in the Cadillac CTS-V and the Camaro ZL1).

I have roughly 460hp (roughly 400 at the wheels) through my stock (other than the higher stall torque converter and auxiliary transmission cooler) 6L80 in my C6, no problems at all even with hundreds of wide open throttle drag strip passes.
what trans temps are you seeing?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Callaway is running 600hp through the A6.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dmporter31
what trans temps are you seeing?
As low as 155 (at fully warmed up/operating temps) in the winter months and as high as 190+ in the heat of summer.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
0MikePeters@Hennessey
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Best for you is to contact Hennessey rep who posts on CF, I bet he will tell you it will be 1000 hp
Why would I do that?

Our C6 Auto packages do not go north of 700 horsepower without requiring a built tranny for us to do the build. Our Camaros/V's are on the same program.

I've got two more HPE700 LS3 Corvettes with automatics slated to roll out this month. Works fine with proper maintenance.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePeters@Hennessey
Why would I do that?

Our C6 Auto packages do not go north of 700 horsepower without requiring a built tranny for us to do the build. Our Camaros/V's are on the same program.

I've got two more HPE700 LS3 Corvettes with automatics slated to roll out this month. Works fine with proper maintenance.
Me bad for assuming this. I have seen the 1000 hp annoucement and did not see any distinction between auto and man transmission in TT.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MikePeters@Hennessey
Why would I do that?

And that maintenance would involve...???
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by petermj
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Talked with an engineer at the Sebring 12 hours and he stated it was going to be a "BIT" harder for tuners to play with the C7 engine and trans. tunes.

I was asking about making the C7 auto survive the roadcourse and he stated that is not the intent of the auto and its still a wet sump trans so sticky tires on a roadcourse will kill it.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Talked with an engineer at the Sebring 12 hours and he stated it was going to be a "BIT" harder for tuners to play with the C7 engine and trans. tunes.

I was asking about making the C7 auto survive the roadcourse and he stated that is not the intent of the auto and its still a wet sump trans so sticky tires on a roadcourse will kill it.
Wow, it just keeps getting better and better. Wonder if the Vette will ever have an auto for the track?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Wow, it just keeps getting better and better. Wonder if the Vette will ever have an auto for the track?
As far as this guy was concerned not anytime soon. He stated high maintenence IE warrenty, high cost, weight and lack of torque holding as reasons.

I would have to agree that most C7 buyers would choke at the cost of a PDK or dual clutch trans. rebuild. It really is a different market vs Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, ext.

His take, was the serious track guys could get a sequential if they were OK with those costs.

His take on the steps I took to keep the A6 cool were only a stopgap as the pump will cavitate under very hard braking and cornering.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
As far as this guy was concerned not anytime soon. He stated high maintenence IE warrenty, high cost, weight and lack of torque holding as reasons.

I would have to agree that most C7 buyers would choke at the cost of a PDK or dual clutch trans. rebuild. It really is a different market vs Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, ext.

His take, was the serious track guys could get a sequential if they were OK with those costs.

His take on the steps I took to keep the A6 cool were only a stopgap as the pump will cavitate under very hard braking and cornering.
Can you tell us what steps you took?

Tadge Jeuchter said, about a year ago, that the current A6 would overheat under the high G loads of serious track use and that was why the dry sump engine was not available with the A6- the A6 would be the weakest link, not the engine oil system.

I don't know if he was referring to street tires or race rubber.

Get notified of new replies

To How much rwhp will the auto tranny take?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Can you tell us what steps you took?

Tadge Jeuchter said, about a year ago, that the current A6 would overheat under the high G loads of serious track use and that was why the dry sump engine was not available with the A6- the A6 would be the weakest link, not the engine oil system.

I don't know if he was referring to street tires or race rubber.
Here is info on the cooler, also ran a DeWitts eng/trans cooler. Gave up when I started to get whine with sticky tires RE-11 going into Sebring turns 7, 10 and 13. Didnt use race rubber as I didnt have a dry sump for the LS3.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...ooler-kit.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-course-t.html
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the info!

If you used the best street tires but avoided race rubber, does it look like the stock LS3 and your A6 would last?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Wonder how much additional hp the new car will take.
TQ breaks things, HP burns things up. So, basically, if the tranny can stand the TQ of the engine, there is a way to put enough cooling on the tranny so that the HP will not burn it up.

That is, its not a question of HP but a question of TQ.
How much TQ can the gears take befor the teeth yeild?
How much TQ can the shafts take before they bend and break?
How much TQ can the case take before it distorts and allows unreasonable forces to act on the gear teeth and shafts?

Quick Reply: How much rwhp will the auto tranny take?