Sponsored by:

C7 makes C6 obsolete

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
Lets not forget all the nice folks that purchased ZR-1s at $125K a pop this year. So what is he saying here, Sorry you fools you now own an old out dated piece of junk. The base C7 is better??? He should learn to keep is pie hole shut.
Word!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
As I said, let us start with the WEIGHT and SAE power. You and he forgets that others may want to see some substance behind the assurances.
Was the C4 a better car than the C3? Was the C5 better than the C4? Was the C6 better than the C5? The C7 will be way better than any Corvette built before it?

Do you really think GM is going to build a Corvette that is slower, doesn't stop better, and has less comforts than the car it is replacing?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
The ZR1 is going to be the best Vette to date until there is a C7Z.
Actually, the C6 ZR1 will be faster but that doesn't mean it isn't obsolete in any number of other ways.

The frame of the C7, the interior of the C7, the electronics, the driving modes, etc., etc. of the C7 apparently, in Tadge's mind, do make those things in the C6 ZR1 obsolete.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Obsolete =
"no longer in use or no longer useful" -
"outmoded in design, style, or construction" -
"of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date" -

If I were shopping for a new C6 right now, I would take a copy of Tadge's video and these definitions of Obsolete along with me to the dealer for negotiating.

If I had just purchased a new C6 and wanted my money back, I would take the same to the dealer and demand a full refund.

There are hundreds of word choices for Tadge to use in describing the leaps of improvement engineered into the C7 - none of which require rendering the current model on sale "obsolete", and kicking current owners of the same in the groin . . . .
Oh I agree,this Guy is an Idiot for saying that. you can think it all you want but when you still have Dealers lots full of C6s only a dumb head would vomit that out of his mouth.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-19-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Was the C4 a better car than the C3? Was the C5 better than the C4? Was the C6 better than the C5? The C7 will be way better than any Corvette built before it?

Do you really think GM is going to build a Corvette that is slower, doesn't stop better, and has less comforts than the car it is replacing?
They better not but as usual, the proof is in the pudding. Oh to answer your question, yes, GM has done the exact thing in the past while claiming they have made a better car.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Obviously he was speaking the truth. Though it was not an especially smart thing from a sales standpoint to say at this point. I'm sure the dealers didn't want to hear him say that.

Evidently some C6 owners are dumb enough to not realize the C7 does indeed make the C6 obsolete. People will still buy new C6's.
As someone who owns a C6 and a C5 before that, and likes the new C7, I don't think there is anything "dumb" about people who still buy new C7's.

I bought my C5 in may of 2004, mere months before the C6 went on sale. Many people will be able to get a smoking deal on a C6 between now and whenever the C7 hits dealer lots. Also, there will be some leftover C6's well into next year that will be had for a bargain.

Personally I love my C6, it fits in my sequestered budget, and im perfectly happy with the 6.2 and the car the way it is. I love the C7 but wont miss out on the cylinder de-activation or electronic parking brake, etc. Im fine for now. My next big purchase will be a new house, so the C7 is just going to have to wait unless I hit the lotto

As for Tadge, if he personally feels that my C6 with only 17k miles on it is *OBSOLETE* then he is welcome to make an offer I can't refuse to buy it back from me at the price I paid for it - ill be waiting - until then
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Obsolete =

If I were shopping for a new C6 right now, I would take a copy of Tadge's video and these definitions of Obsolete along with me to the dealer for negotiating.

If I had just purchased a new C6 and wanted my money back, I would take the same to the dealer and demand a full refund.

There are hundreds of word choices for Tadge to use in describing the leaps of improvement engineered into the C7 - none of which require rendering the current model on sale "obsolete", and kicking current owners of the same in the groin . . . .
It was a dumb word to use. No doubt about it. But it is an obvious point that he made. Good luck getting that to mean anything to the dealer. They have already been discounting heavily.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

You got a link to that quote??
I don't need a link. I heard him say it in person at the Corvette Tent at the Sebring Corvette Corral. I must say he has done a simply terrific job with the C7 StingRay and I for one find his honesty quite refreshing in this corporate world. I also suspect that given the many grumpy old men on this forum that GM will have no problems selling off the remaining C6 models. After all, we hear so many negative comments here that the new C7 will just have to be scooped up by a combination of "new" Corvette buyers (my God, what a concept) and yours truly ().

Seeing the new C7 StingRay in person only cemented my conviction to get one.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z edge
As someone who owns a C6 and a C5 before that, and likes the new C7, I don't think there is anything "dumb" about people who still buy new C7's.

I bought my C5 in may of 2004, mere months before the C6 went on sale. Many people will be able to get a smoking deal on a C6 between now and whenever the C7 hits dealer lots. Also, there will be some leftover C6's well into next year that will be had for a bargain.

Personally I love my C6, it fits in my sequestered budget, and im perfectly happy with the 6.2 and the car the way it is. I love the C7 but wont miss out on the cylinder de-activation or electronic parking brake, etc. Im fine for now. My next big purchase will be a new house, so the C7 is just going to have to wait unless I hit the lotto

As for Tadge, if he personally feels that my C6 with only 17k miles on it is *OBSOLETE* then he is welcome to make an offer I can't refuse to buy it back from me at the price I paid for it - ill be waiting - until then
word
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Obsolete =

I needs compensation before I retain an Attorney Tadge!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Ike Witt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tadge ism's

"This is truly a 21st Century Car"
quote from Sebring

I love the distinctive and functional looks of the new and freshly sculpted lines on the restyled rear window and pillars. It is truly leading edge design
Tadge said it will give your car another 100 horses. Why you could beat up on a Z06. and it makes a 98 Callaway look obsolete.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ike Witt
"This is truly a 21st Century Car"
quote from Sebring

I love the distinctive and functional looks of the new and freshly sculpted lines on the restyled rear window and pillars. It is truly leading edge design
Tadge said it will give your car another 100 horses. Why you could beat up on a Z06. and it makes a 98 Callaway look obsolete.

That silver car must be C7.5 which will make C7 obsolete
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the C6 ZR1 will be faster but that doesn't mean it isn't obsolete in any number of other ways.

The frame of the C7, the interior of the C7, the electronics, the driving modes, etc., etc. of the C7 apparently, in Tadge's mind, do make those things in the C6 ZR1 obsolete.
I still think the ZR1 will be more high-tech than the first year C7. The Z has more than enough driving modes.(5). The Z frame i believe will have the advantage because it's aluminum. I don't see the C7 electronics to be any better. The interior is just subjective.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Electronics are fine, I can see making that statement regarding that. Heck, my wife just upgraded her cell phone and it makes my new one from just last year seem "obsolete".

Performance.... I just don't see it happening. Not with 450HP and from what we know a car having approximately the same weight. The 450 TQ is nice, in first gear, for a couple of seconds if there's traction. Obsolete??? GM better have something far up its' sleeve.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I wouldn't say he lost it, just what the owners will be thinking when they finally take delivery. That's what new cars are suppose to do. C4 got its clock cleaned by the C5, then the C5's lunch was eaten by the C6. C6 is up on deck to be yesteryear's Corvette and the spring board to the next great Vette.

If people take offense to this, they shouldn't wear their feelings on their sleeves. Him saying that would not stop me from picking up a C6 if I truly loved that generation the most. Newer cars may make the older one obsolete from a technological standpoint but it does not take away from their greatness, but that's just me.

Though to be fair, I suppose F430 owners displayed similar reactions towards the new 458 Italia.
Guys, he was being honest how he felt and like EVERY new car that comes out, the last years is toast. I just bought a C6, that's not stopping me from buying the C7. I think some people on CF are hanging on every word coming out of the GM folks. Get a life. At the end of the day it's still just a car!!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I still think the ZR1 will be more high-tech than the first year C7. The Z has more than enough driving modes.(5). The Z frame i believe will have the advantage because it's aluminum. I don't see the C7 electronics to be any better. The interior is just subjective.
You do know that all the C7 frames are aluminum, right? My guess is the interior is quite a bit better, from a materials, seating and electronics standpoint.

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BPHORSEGUY
I must be really stupid I still love every mile in my C3!
I sometimes wish my C1 steered a little easier and braked a little better. But it is easier on my eyes.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 makes C6 obsolete

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"Welcome to Acme Chevrolet - how can I help you this morning"?

"Well, I'm interested in purchasing a new Corvette" !!!

"Great!! My name is Tadge and I would be happy to help you with your new Corvette purchase" !!

Thanks, I've been looking forward to this day for a long, long time"

"OK, then lets get started. Are you interested in the all new 2014 C7 model Corvette that is coming out this fall or are your interested in the current 2013 model we have here now, and that is obsolete by comparison to the C7"?

"Uhhhhhh . . . . I don't know - I don't think I've had anyone sell me a brand new obsolete car before" ????

"Well, this is GM - we've done stupid stuff lots of times before so you can feel comfortable with us" !!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Boy what a hoot. People want big improvements in the C7 & when Tadge comes out & says the C7 makes the C6 obsolete, some get all upset. What did you want him to say, no big changes for the C7. Then you'd say he was lying to you to prop up sales for the C6. Can't have it both ways. Sounds like " You can't handle the truth " !!!! The C6 is a fabulous car( albeit a little dated) & the discounts are huge right now, so now is a great time to buy a C6.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Guys, he was being honest how he felt and like EVERY new car that comes out, the last years is toast. I just bought a C6, that's not stopping me from buying the C7. I think some people on CF are hanging on every word coming out of the GM folks. Get a life. At the end of the day it's still just a car!!
I feel like he just got caught up in the context of the environment he was in. He had most likely had conversations with many of the folks there, and felt comfortable that many of them either had their money down or were about to make a deposit on a C7. So, he was talking to those folks, right there in front of him. Although, he should know by now, that there would be someone posting it to the internet, thus his reaction after the words slipped out.

I will say this, when one hears Mr. Juechter talk about this car, one has got to think that either he's a really good salesman, or he's just simply really excited about this car.

Quick Reply: C7 makes C6 obsolete