Sponsored by:

Somethings not right in this interior pic -

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
As a track guy, I agree with the other poster that there is no way I'd be fiddling with this during a lap session. That said, use of the paddles makes more sense than a dash mounted switch. I would hope at least that there is an obvious indicator lamp on the tach that the feature is engaged. Remains to be seen if it is a gimmick or a really cool thing. If the latter, I will have to re-train my right foot...
Name:  ywLIR.png
Views: 3
Size:  705.3 KB
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dmporter31
toe
Thanks, du!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Unless he does it wrong, and maybe then it will need a tow..........
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
You don't need to play with it while driving. It's either on or off. I'm sure since you track a lot you know what the rev matching feature does. You don't need to blip the throttle when down or up shifting. the computer will do it for you. It saves the need for heel and tow. But if you are very proficient and like to heel and tow then turn it off.
Yes, I get that... but you don't need to turn it on or off on the fly which, according to GM, is why the paddles are where they are. Tadge even referred to being able to do this and how "fun" it was. If you aren't playing with it (i.e. turning it on/off) why not simply have this as a switch somewhere out of the way?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
huh? isn't that called accelerating.or do you mean double clutching which is useless.
Exactly my point earlier (rev matching not required for upshifts), unless this system uses the same type of electronic engine control for shifting as with a sequential manual transmission where the torque is briefly interrupted.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
If this is on and off, why do you need two of them? And why do they have to be so big? The air bag/hub is already way too big...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The steering wheel is beyond ugly and utilizing paddle shifters to function as launch control DUAL switches is beyond retarded. This is no trolling, this is an honest opinion.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

The steering wheel is beyond ugly and utilizing paddle shifters to function as launch control DUAL switches is beyond retarded. This is no trolling, this is an honest opinion.
Areed on the size of the hub (too big) but that has nothing to do with the paddles. I think that's why the question about serious VS trolling comes in. If GM wanted, you could have a small hub with the same paddles, so linking them in your argument doesn't make sense to me.

I also suspect that they are used as a cost savings measure. I also track quite a bit, and I think I would really like the rev matching feature, but I'm not sure I want it so easily accessible. Seems like a button near the gear shift like on a 370Z would make more sense. However, I am not strongly troubled by their current position, so I'm willing to see how it works out before getting totally upset.

As far as rev matching during upshifts, it might be very nice because it could let you power shift without hitting the rev limiter and/or abusing the clutch. I think it could have a great effect on the smoothness during hard acceleration, and would let you keep your foot planted during upshifts. I think that part of the feature is actually quite cool.

-T
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Areed on the size of the hub (too big) but that has nothing to do with the paddles. I think that's why the question about serious VS trolling comes in. If GM wanted, you could have a small hub with the same paddles, so linking them in your argument doesn't make sense to me.

I also suspect that they are used as a cost savings measure. I also track quite a bit, and I think I would really like the rev matching feature, but I'm not sure I want it so easily accessible. Seems like a button near the gear shift like on a 370Z would make more sense. However, I am not strongly troubled by their current position, so I'm willing to see how it works out before getting totally upset.

As far as rev matching during upshifts, it might be very nice because it could let you power shift without hitting the rev limiter and/or abusing the clutch. I think it could have a great effect on the smoothness during hard acceleration, and would let you keep your foot planted during upshifts. I think that part of the feature is actually quite cool.

-T
I actually do not dig the upshift rev matching assistance, nothing less than truly dumbifying the driving, like downshifting rev matching wasn't dumbifying enough. Sorry, I am old fashioned, I truly resent nannies.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I understand on the nannies part.

For street driving I probably wouldn't use the rev matching because I like to throttle blip myself, and typically don't need to heel-toe because I'm not using the brakes when I do, just gradually slowing for a corner on a twisty road. I once test drove a 370Z with the rev-match feature, and had a very had time with it because I kept trying to throttle blip on my own, which would conflict with the car trying to do it. In the end I turned it off for the street.

On a track day I have a hard time heel-toeing in my Z, but that's partly because of the way the pedals are placed. I can heel-toe much better in my GTI, but don't care to take that to the track.

I've seen pedal photos of the C7, and it looks like it has decent placement and the throttle that pivots on the floor, so I think I could probably heel-toe OK, but I like that there's an option to have the car do it if you want. There are definitely times on the track where I would be OK taking a brake from it for a time. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

I do like that the Vette allows you to defeat all the nannies, except ABS, although sometimes I wish you could disable that, too.

-T
Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is on and off, why do you need two of them? And why do they have to be so big? The air bag/hub is already way too big...
It would look odd to have only 1. Lefties could use the left and vice versa. Having two different sizes, one for manuals and another for automatics, would be cost-ineffective. As for the size of the paddles and the airbag, the C7's don't appear to be any larger than that of something like the 458 Italia (which has very long paddles).

C7 component sizes look comparable to a BMW wheel with DKG paddles.

Personally, I think it's more intuitive to have it paddle-activated rather than by a button on the console. I could easily imagine some people cycling back and forth depending on mood, traffic, etc. In general, there's been a confluence of putting fewer buttons on consoles (the point of iDrive in the first place, along with today's advanced touchscreens like CUE). And more controls on the steering wheel, evident from F1 to tech-crazy Ferrari roadcars to the paddle-shifting gaming consoles that people raised on Gran Turismo or NFS have been used to. No doubt some of these people are coming of age and are exactly the type of younger demographic GM would love to have. Besides, it adds to the "theater" of owning a sports car.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

K... So...

Why is the hub too big? Ugly is definitely subjective. I happen to like the look of the new wheel.

I'm sure that it wasn't yet stated by GM how those paddles will effectively work, so I'm not sure how you can complain about something you haven't fully understood yet. You can't say that both sides are on/off switches, that one has a function the other doesn't, or anything in-between. Since nobody knows yet how that system works, why would you complain about it and call it "retarded"?

The problem I think you have is that you speculate about something, repeat it over and over in your head, begin to believe it as fact, and then get mad at it, even though there's really nothing going on in the first place.

My advice is for you to stop getting mad and defensive about things (especially small things) that you don't have all the facts for. I've watched you complain about weight, power, suspension, functionality, etc... and NONE of it has actual hard facts yet. You're going give yourself an ulcer about a car you're not even buying.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

i personally love the new steering wheel. Yeah, the hub is big but the wheel is very small in diameter and it looks to be thick and meaty from a grip perspective. I like that
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I wonder why so much has been written about C 7's and people still ask "answered" questions.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
K... So...

Why is the hub too big? Ugly is definitely subjective. I happen to like the look of the new wheel.

I'm sure that it wasn't yet stated by GM how those paddles will effectively work, so I'm not sure how you can complain about something you haven't fully understood yet. You can't say that both sides are on/off switches, that one has a function the other doesn't, or anything in-between. Since nobody knows yet how that system works, why would you complain about it and call it "retarded"?

The problem I think you have is that you speculate about something, repeat it over and over in your head, begin to believe it as fact, and then get mad at it, even though there's really nothing going on in the first place.

My advice is for you to stop getting mad and defensive about things (especially small things) that you don't have all the facts for. I've watched you complain about weight, power, suspension, functionality, etc... and NONE of it has actual hard facts yet. You're going give yourself an ulcer about a car you're not even buying.
I specifically stated this was my opinion. This car was supposed to be about weight reduction, seeing this bulky and cumbersome wheel just does not jive with the idea of lightness, not to mention it serves as a reminder of corporate off the shelf parts shopping.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I wonder why so much has been written about C 7's and people still ask "answered" questions.
I think a lot of people just go to the last page and read it, then make comments, when they should at least read the first page before going on. This might be one reason threads get so distorted in the later pages

LOL - people are people and they'll do what they want and that's almost OK.

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 03-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Guibo
It would look odd to have only 1. Lefties could use the left and vice versa. Having two different sizes, one for manuals and another for automatics, would be cost-ineffective. As for the size of the paddles and the airbag, the C7's don't appear to be any larger than that of something like the 458 Italia (which has very long paddles).

C7 component sizes look comparable to a BMW wheel with DKG paddles.

Personally, I think it's more intuitive to have it paddle-activated rather than by a button on the console. I could easily imagine some people cycling back and forth depending on mood, traffic, etc. In general, there's been a confluence of putting fewer buttons on consoles (the point of iDrive in the first place, along with today's advanced touchscreens like CUE). And more controls on the steering wheel, evident from F1 to tech-crazy Ferrari roadcars to the paddle-shifting gaming consoles that people raised on Gran Turismo or NFS have been used to. No doubt some of these people are coming of age and are exactly the type of younger demographic GM would love to have. Besides, it adds to the "theater" of owning a sports car.
Two wrongs do not make a right. This is supposed be a sports car, not a gadget arcade to pass the time playing with the gadgets.

Get notified of new replies

To Somethings not right in this interior pic -

Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Two wrongs do not make a right. This is supposed be a sports car, not a gadget arcade to pass the time playing with the gadgets.
Right, it's a sports car, not a race car. These cars will spend 95% of their time as daily comuters, long distance cruisers, show and shines, and just fun to drive around town cars. People like stuff, gadgets and accessories on their cars. The Corvette or even the Ferrari, even the McLaren for that matter are no different.

If you don't want any of this stuff normal people like and want on their cars, sell all those peices of junk you say you own and buy one of these...

Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Right, it's a sports car, not a race car. These cars will spend 95% of their time as daily comuters, long distance cruisers, show and shines, and just fun to drive around town cars. People like stuff, gadgets and accessories on their cars. The Corvette or even the Ferrari, even the McLaren for that matter are no different.

If you don't want any of this stuff normal people like and want on their cars, sell all those peices of junk you say you own and buy one of these...
Why would you resort to personal attack and calling my cars pieces of junk? Does this make you feel better about your future purchase?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

The paddles are there for the next generation ZR1 that will introduce a DCT!!

Have a nice day

Quick Reply: Somethings not right in this interior pic -