C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Advice Folks As Nice As The C7 Is If You Don't 'Need" The Car Don't Buy a 2014..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
But that Laguna Blue keeps calling

I keep coming back to this color.

With the all new C7 i think i want an all new color to go with it.

They sure did this car right from the front and side. Its a genuine styling TKO !
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldepalma
They have this thing called a WARRANTY in case you've been on the moon or Mars lately...
Yes but with that comes Chevrolet Service...
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I certainly will not be buying 1st year, although my 2005 C6 has been relatively trouble-free electronically, as appears to be my 2006 Z06. My concern with the C7 is (1) the significant amount pof new technology, which always comes with issues (2) the enormous amount of cost-cutting that has been going on with US manufacturers since 2009. Ford quality has declined in shocking fashion, and I doubt GM was far behind given it's issues, not least of which because they rely on many of the same suppliers. I do not expect the C7 to be a very reliable vehicle based on this, and I'm going to watch product history before I buy. I'm not interested in the base / Z51 anyway due to lack of performance, so that puts me into year 3 at this point. Maybe they will have done the mid-cycle rear-end refresh by then.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I certainly will not be buying 1st year, although my 2005 C6 has been relatively trouble-free electronically, as appears to be my 2006 Z06. My concern with the C7 is (1) the significant amount pof new technology, which always comes with issues (2) the enormous amount of cost-cutting that has been going on with US manufacturers since 2009. Ford quality has declined in shocking fashion, and I doubt GM was far behind given it's issues, not least of which because they rely on many of the same suppliers. I do not expect the C7 to be a very reliable vehicle based on this, and I'm going to watch product history before I buy. I'm not interested in the base / Z51 anyway due to lack of performance, so that puts me into year 3 at this point. Maybe they will have done the mid-cycle rear-end refresh by then.
Quality has gone down, but GM and Ford cars are doing much better in sales and comparison tests relative to the competition than in 2008. I guess I'm not following.

I think American cars are built to a higher standard than ever before.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I certainly wouldn't necessarily go with the OP's advice as a huge number of folks like myself have had trouble-free '05 C6 ownership. That said, I can certainly understand why there are concerns about first year cars.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Quality has gone down, but GM and Ford cars are doing much better in sales and comparison tests relative to the competition than in 2008. I guess I'm not following.

I think American cars are built to a higher standard than ever before.
Though I agree with your comments, standard and feel does not equal quality (my definition of quality being a lack of problems) - BMW is a classic example of this: the cars drive better than most others and the "feel" of the car exudes quality. But quality is not really there for most of their cars with the exception of the E90, which has finally made it into higher reliability. BMWs suffer from engine problems, body integrity issues, and switchgear - electrical issues. The problem had gotten so bad 14 years ago that they started offering the 40K zero cost plan (in exchange for a higher sticker than the competition, of course) and they've never been able to get away from it. The other german marques don't fare any better. Audi, VW and Mercedes are plagued by issues. Porsche also.

True quality is Honda offering an Accord for $22K out the door that runs for 250,000 miles with no issues.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
I will probably wreck it before anything can really go wrong so I feel like my threshold for poor initial quality is pretty high.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man the nose on that blue car looks like sh$%! Way too much going on and the tooth looking lower bumper/splitter looks like crap. I feel like I'm trying to look at an NBA players tattoos as he runs up and down the court...overkill by design.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
Yes but with that comes Chevrolet Service...
Chevy should make sure the service guys have all the needed C7 training to work on these new cars.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Though I agree with your comments, standard and feel does not equal quality (my definition of quality being a lack of problems) - BMW is a classic example of this: the cars drive better than most others and the "feel" of the car exudes quality. But quality is not really there for most of their cars with the exception of the E90, which has finally made it into higher reliability. BMWs suffer from engine problems, body integrity issues, and switchgear - electrical issues. The problem had gotten so bad 14 years ago that they started offering the 40K zero cost plan (in exchange for a higher sticker than the competition, of course) and they've never been able to get away from it. The other german marques don't fare any better. Audi, VW and Mercedes are plagued by issues. Porsche also.

True quality is Honda offering an Accord for $22K out the door that runs for 250,000 miles with no issues.
My E90 hasn't been that reliable.

There's a difference between build quality and reliability though.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Man the nose on that blue car looks like sh$%! Way too much going on and the tooth looking lower bumper/splitter looks like crap. I feel like I'm trying to look at an NBA players tattoos as he runs up and down the court...overkill by design.
"FLAMBOYANT" comes to mind when viewing the C7.. They do need to ditch that firebird looking emblem or at least make it smaller. Thats distracting looking.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I've purchased an '84, '97, and my '05 all of which were among the first ones (Low VIN's) delivered in the Mpls./St Paul area. Yes, there were some teething problems, but overall I was satisfied with all of them. Still have the '84 and plan to keep the '05 when the C7 comes. I follow the C6 forum and the buyers of '12-'13 models are still experiencing some issues as well-not the same ones as on my '05, but some things that are problems unique to the later models. Some may be assembly, some engineering, and others from parts suppliers. I'm ready to take this on once again-as long as I'm not left stranded on the side of the road I can deal with some of the minor issues. I like to think of us early owners as 'field test drivers' for second year buyers.
Well said and I'm one of them buyers that has a '13 and there's still problems with them. As long as it's man made, there is always gonna be problems. It's called take a deep breath and relax, It's all under warranty, aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
dalinone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had NO problems or issues with my 2005 coupe.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Dont stress out, there's plenty cars out there to make everybody happy.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by dalinone
I have had NO problems or issues with my 2005 coupe.
You are the original owner?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 427 jr3 but thanks for looking out. Remember when Lexus had that commercial of a marble size steel ball rolling throughout the seams of the car, well GM can use a basketball to run down the hood contours. I can't wait to see this thing in person in NY, I hope it's better in person than it is in photos.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
dalinone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are the original owner?
Yes, I am the original owner.

Get notified of new replies

To My Advice Folks As Nice As The C7 Is If You Don't 'Need" The Car Don't Buy a 2014..

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

"FLAMBOYANT" comes to mind when viewing the C7.. They do need to ditch that firebird looking emblem or at least make it smaller. Thats distracting looking.
While I generally like everything about the C7, I do admit the emblems are too large and prominent for my taste. I really hate the Stingray on the side also. They can't be taken off the rear either because there is an indent for them which is too bad. Not sure about the front flags.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by dalinone
Yes, I am the original owner.
Thats good to hear..But C6 was not as new of a car that C7 is. C7 has a whole different frame and structure.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new 84 and owned it for 11 years. The one everybody said was junk. The only thing I ever had done under warranty or otherwise was the power window motors. It was a great car. If nobody buys the 2014, the 2015 will become the first year.

Quick Reply: My Advice Folks As Nice As The C7 Is If You Don't 'Need" The Car Don't Buy a 2014..