C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something About The Front Of C7 Reminds Me Of C1...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And the fake hood louvers on the '58 lasted one model year and went bye-bye. The same thing happened on the 1963 Sting Ray. The fake hood vents on the '63 lasted one year and went bye-bye.

The fake front fender scoops on the 56 faired slightly better as they lasted two model years.

If history repeats itself(one can hope), the hood vents on the 2014 C7 will go bye-bye in one model year.
Do you see the difference? The 2014 vents are NOT fake. I don't think they will be going away soon.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Do you see the difference? The 2014 vents are NOT fake. I don't think they will be going away soon.

The oldies are becoming senile
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DougSilver
That's my initial instinct but then again when you drive down the street and see an older vintage classic in primo condition like a 1960s vintage XK-E, 1957 Chevy or any pre-C3 Corvette it really makes heads turn. Sure the C7 will make heads turn when it first comes out but then you will see bunches of these over time and they will be ho-hum. And when I go to the occasional car meets (there is a local Mopar meet near me twice a year) the cars that generally get people drooling are the older classics rather than the newest model.

That's why when it came down to it, I think I would probably opt for a showroom condition mid-year versus a C7. Similarly I would likely rather get a showroom condition XKE versus the latest Jaguar, etc.
I don't have the resources to start a museum but to each his own.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Eventually ............... Ibtl ............again
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Game. Set. Match.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Hey, BlueOx brought up the 58 and it's FAKE louvers, not me. besides, aren't the rear fender louvers fake on a C7 that doesn't have an automatic transmission or the Z51 option. If they're not functional, then they are FAKE.

I just pointed out that there is a history of one and two year life spans on vents and louvers on Corvettes.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Hey, BlueOx brought up the 58 and it's FAKE louvers, not me. besides, aren't the rear fender louvers fake on a C7 that doesn't have an automatic transmission or the Z51 option. If they're not functional, then they are FAKE.

I just pointed out that there is a history of one and two year life spans on vents and louvers on Corvettes.
Wasn't the subject the front louvers ?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

No question about it. For the purely driving experience, nothing comes close to performance and reliability of current vintage cars. Almost anything from the 1960s would feel like a sluggish unwieldy truck in comparison. But if you had another driver and this $60K (or so) was specified to be used for a "toy", it would sure be tempting to me just to be able to own one of those vintage classics.

Or you could go to Mecum or a similar auction and get a tastefully done resto-mod C2 with a modern chassis - like an SRIII chassis - and modern LS drivetrain that somebody spent six figures building and pick it up for about that. The previous owner takes the financial hit and you end up with a nice driving, great looking, solidly performing, hot car.

Seen that done several times. Been tempted to do it myself.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I could certainly see them doing a different hood design for the hi-po version(s) and in future 'base' C7's, but I'd guess the extractor is staying in the design in some form.
I really don't have a problem with the hood extractor on the C7 as for being functional, I just think they could have made the design so that it didn't have the add on tacky JC Whitney look.

You are familiar with the scoop at the top of the front bumper on the C6 GS/Z06/ZR. It is functional as it allows cold air to the engine air intake and it also reduces lift on the front end. At the same time, the black plastic insert sets back in the scoop and is not "in your face". If that same scoop were present on the C7, and followed the same design as the other scoops/vents on the C7, then Peters would have made the entire scoop black plastic triangle shaped with 12" sides, to give it a "in your face" look, like he did with the C7's scoops/vents.

Same goes with the front fender vents. On the C6, they are designed so that the black plastic inserts are recessed so they are not that noticeable, but on the C7, the black plastic is huge and looks like a scab on the side of the fender. Oh, and the front fender vents on the C6 are also functional.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Hey, JoeC5 brought up the '53 first!!

I was just showing that the '58 LOOKED like it had a similar look, like hood vanes which...wait for it....is 'something about the front of C7 that reminds me of C1'!

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-27-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the resources to start a museum but to each his own.
You missed the point. I should have worded it another way to make it clear you are NOT spending any resources. Imagine a Corvette collector or some other rich guy is giving away one of his Corvettes, or you get a winning contest ticket to pick any Corvette. Do you choose the C7 or something else? As an admittedly old fart who loves seeing any vintage 1950s through 1970s car that is in great driving condition that also looks great, I would probably opt for the older vintage model. Those older cars continue to put a smile on your face no matter what and even more so as time passes. The C7 will put a smile on your face until next year when they up the horsepower or do some other tweak or until the C8 comes out.

From my observations I tend to see folks stop in their tracks and stare more in awe when they see some pristine older classic rolling down the street versus even a new Lamborghini.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

You missed the point. I should have worded it another way to make it clear you are NOT spending any resources. Imagine a Corvette collector or some other rich guy is giving away one of his Corvettes, or you get a winning contest ticket to pick any Corvette. Do you choose the C7 or something else? As an admittedly old fart who loves seeing any vintage 1950s through 1970s car that is in great driving condition that also looks great, I would probably opt for the older vintage model. Those older cars continue to put a smile on your face no matter what and even more so as time passes. The C7 will put a smile on your face until next year when they up the horsepower or do some other tweak or until the C8 comes out.

From my observations I tend to see folks stop in their tracks and stare more in awe when they see some pristine older classic rolling down the street versus even a new Lamborghini.
I'm an old fart too. I still love my old '05 Vette and will for a long time even though there are lots of newer, higher po cars out there.

BTW, did you get my PM earlier?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

I'm an old fart too. I still love my old '05 Vette and will for a long time even though there are lots of newer, higher po cars out there.

BTW, did you get my PM earlier?
Yeah--got your PM. When I was a kid my uncle had the same car you got to drive around and lust after.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Yeah--got your PM. When I was a kid my uncle had the same car you got to drive around and lust after.
BTW, your PM cache is full. Couldn't respond.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

BTW, your PM cache is full. Couldn't respond.
I was at 100% but just emptied some of the messages.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I really don't have a problem with the hood extractor on the C7 as for being functional, I just think they could have made the design so that it didn't have the add on tacky JC Whitney look.

You are familiar with the scoop at the top of the front bumper on the C6 GS/Z06/ZR. It is functional as it allows cold air to the engine air intake and it also reduces lift on the front end. At the same time, the black plastic insert sets back in the scoop and is not "in your face". If that same scoop were present on the C7, and followed the same design as the other scoops/vents on the C7, then Peters would have made the entire scoop black plastic triangle shaped with 12" sides, to give it a "in your face" look, like he did with the C7's scoops/vents.

Same goes with the front fender vents. On the C6, they are designed so that the black plastic inserts are recessed so they are not that noticeable, but on the C7, the black plastic is huge and looks like a scab on the side of the fender. Oh, and the front fender vents on the C6 are also functional.
Well, I think the C7 pushes a LOT more air up from the front so making it a larger opening makes some sense. And again, a different design (or body color) to soften that look would be fine with me. As for the fender vents, I'd prefer body color to soften the look, but I'll take the C7's over the GS's any day. I never liked the gills.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, I think the C7 pushes a LOT more air up from the front so making it a larger opening makes some sense. And again, a different design (or body color) to soften that look would be fine with me. As for the fender vents, I'd prefer body color to soften the look, but I'll take the C7's over the GS's any day. I never liked the gills.
Were you one of the guys that bought a base and then GM came out with the widebody and you were like **** !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Something About The Front Of C7 Reminds Me Of C1...

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
blufinz52
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post got me thinking along tangential lines and probably also in the category of what some might consider lame but, seeing the posts with pictures of the older classic models, here is the scenario that I have sometimes pondered.

If someone gave you something in the ballpark of $60K to spend and the only requirement was that you could only spend the money on a Corvette, and that you are just an average Joe who will likely not get another large lump of purely discretionary money again, would you opt for the latest and greatest (in this case the C7) or would you go for one of the older classics like one of the mid-year models or even a later model like a C4-ZR1?

This might make an interesting poll, or not.
I'd swap my '05 vert for that '58 black vette posted by BlueOx in a heartbeat.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Were you one of the guys that bought a base and then GM came out with the widebody and you were like **** !!!
Yeah a base vert - I'm good...but am really hankering for a C7 coupe (used) this time. Probably in 2-3 yrs.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny but the 63 Corvette with the "fake" vents is the most coveted model of all the C2's. I agree that the C7 vents will not go away. They are fully functional in most of all the models that will be built.

Quick Reply: Something About The Front Of C7 Reminds Me Of C1...