C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something About The Front Of C7 Reminds Me Of C1...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blufinz52
I'd swap my '05 vert for that '58 black vette posted by BlueOx in a heartbeat.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. These days the "latest and greatest" remain so momentarily. But when you see something like that '58 coming down the street you really take notice. The other day I was at a Best Buy/Magnolia store and there was this Austin Healey 3000 roadster (guessing early 1960s vintage) that was black with red interior. Looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. People walking through the lot were stopping in their tracks and just gazing and poring over the car. Similarly while I always take notice and appreciate a nice looking C5 or C6, when I see an older Corvette in really good shape (even a C3) it is really something to behold. I realize my sentiments might be more understandable to the elders around here.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Until you actually own an older car. Nostalgia comes at its own price. And that is drivability & practicality. Cars like that 58 spend more time sitting in a garage than anything else.

And when you realize the creature comforts, the ability to take long road trips, the modern day power & performance, the refinement, the ease of maintenance, incredible gas milage and powered options are all gone. You'll be wanting a modern day Corvette back.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Yes a well kept, older Corvette is something to behold.. and will turn the head of everyone in the parking lot. But its something I wouldn't want to drive daily, on the weekends or even all that often. I didn't buy my '07 because I wanted attention and to turn heads everywhere I go. I bought it because it was the best bang for the buck performance car I could find. And easily capable of a 150,000 trouble free miles that will be full of life long memories.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Until you actually own an older car. Nostalgia comes at its own price. And that is drivability & practicality. Cars like that 58 spend more time sitting in a garage than anything else.

And when you realize the creature comforts, the ability to take long road trips, the modern day power & performance, the refinement, the ease of maintenance, incredible gas milage and powered options are all gone. You'll be wanting a modern day Corvette back.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Yes a well kept, older Corvette is something to behold.. and will turn the head of everyone in the parking lot. But its something I wouldn't want to drive daily, on the weekends or even all that often. I didn't buy my '07 because I wanted attention and to turn heads everywhere I go. I bought it because it was the best bang for the buck performance car I could find. And easily capable of a 150,000 trouble free miles that will be full of life long memories.
Refreshing..honest...accurate,
Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Refreshing..honest...accurate,
Thanks
Yes, absolutely true from a practicality point of view. I was thinking more along the lines of what you would be happier owning just from an ownership point of view. For example a new bells-and-whistles Nikon digital SLR or an older Leica, or a 1950s Gibson or Fender guitar or some top-of-the-line new model from Guitar Center. For me in terms of pure "what would it be neat owning" the answer would be a 1960s vintage Sting Ray versus a new Stingray.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
11BladeGS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

I grew up with those older cars. Still own a couple. Replace the points with an HEI and maintenance is nearly a non-issue. With the right shocks and springs they ride fine. If you get one with power steering, brakes, windows, and A/C, what else do you need for creature comforts? I've gone for long trips without issue many times in old cars, and been quite comfortable.

Gas mileage and performance is better in the new cars, but resale drops like a rock with a new Vette. And as far as sitting in the garage, just read this forum...PLENTY of the cars on this forum are pampered garage queens, because they too are just as much a "toy" as the '58 pictured. Difference is, after 10 years the '58 will probably have gained value while even a low mile 10 year old C7 will be lucky to get half it's initial purchase price back.

Insurance cost for a classic car is a fraction of the insurance cost of a new car. I like both old and new, but if I had to choose, I'd take a nice condition vintage car for street use.

J
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

J said it well and brought up another thing I had touched on. Get the newest and greatest (fill-in-the-blank) and you will likely be unhappy next year when the inevitable improvements roll in (honestly, how many new car buyers are happy next year when the newer models roll out). Moreover, value next year will be some fraction of what it was this year. But that would not be the case with something like the '58 pictured earlier. Folks with older vintage classics typically only get rid of them begrudgingly and they are more likely to go up in worth.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a beautifully restored 1965 Chevelle SS. A man walked up to me and said" they don't make them like that any more". I replied" thank goodness" because it was dang near perfect it was a mess to drive with bias ply tires and sloppy suspension. Give me new any day,
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
11BladeGS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a beautifully restored 1965 Chevelle SS. A man walked up to me and said" they don't make them like that any more". I replied" thank goodness" because it was dang near perfect it was a mess to drive with bias ply tires and sloppy suspension. Give me new any day,
I've had and driven plenty of '64-'72 GM A-bodies. If your '65 was that bad there was something wrong with it or worn out, and far from mechanically perfect. At most, the car should only have had a slow ratio steering box, and a fair amount of understeer in corners that is easily corrected.

Half the problem was probably due to using bias ply tires for anything other than trying to score judging points at a car show. Heck, my 57 drives straight down the road with a rebuilt stock suspension and manual steering. With only radial tires, it is far from "sloppy" driving and very comfortable to drive.

J
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11BladeGS
I've had and driven plenty of '64-'72 GM A-bodies. If your '65 was that bad there was something wrong with it or worn out, and far from mechanically perfect. At most, the car should only have had a slow ratio steering box, and a fair amount of understeer in corners that is easily corrected.

Half the problem was probably due to using bias ply tires for anything other than trying to score judging points at a car show. Heck, my 57 drives straight down the road with a rebuilt stock suspension and manual steering. With only radial tires, it is far from "sloppy" driving and very comfortable to drive.

J
Won Super Chevy twice best restored Chevelle. Putting radials on the car makes my point. Also the under pinnings were fresh. A 65 Chevelle is an ill handling beast compared to a modern car. Same with my 62. C1.
This is my opinion again you can have your opinion.
Give me a modern day car ANY DAY.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Won Super Chevy twice best restored Chevelle. Putting radials on the car makes my point. Also the under pinnings were fresh. A 65 Chevelle is an ill handling beast compared to a modern car. Same with my 62. C1.
No argument there. When it comes to your daily driver, the modern car is what you want. But the scenario I presented was that you already had a daily driver and won your choice of another car--either the new Corvette or some vintage Corvette. So it more comes down to what second "toy" would you choose more for the joy of ownership versus driving. My wife works with a guy who is in a Mopar club and owns one of the recent Challengers with the 1970s retro look. He was pretty excited when he got this but is now ecstatic about picking up a 1969 Satellite in very clean condition. That is the car he keeps talking about. I find when I go to car shows or car museums, the ones that folks cluster around and that put the most smiles on faces are the older vintage cars.

So if there were two sweepstakes with $100 tickets--one to win a new C7 and one to win the '58 that was pictured earlier (or something similar), which sweepstakes would you enter?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
where do you think that grill opening and the chrome strip came from? Its definitely there as a reference to the C1.

I agree..saw that the first time a pic of the front of the C7.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My first new car purchase(in 1964) was a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS hardtop with the 327, 4- speed, posi and the F40(or maybe it was F41, but it's difficult to remember after 49 years) sport suspension. The car drove absolutely perfect, even on the original tires.

In 1968, I purchased a used 1964 Malibu SS hardtop with a 283(bad bearings) 4 speed, posi and I dropped in a 427 with a turbo 400. Again, a dream car to drive, even with 80,000 miles on it. I did install heavier duty springs because of the extra weight of the 427/auto and I replaced the shocks.

Then In, 1979, I purchased a 1965 El Camino with a factory 327, 4-speed. I replaced the front springs with stock springs from a junk yard Chevelle as a previous owner had cut the fronts springs. Again, a super car to drive with original suspension, steering etc.

If your restored 65 handled terrible, it was because some one had installed incorrect suspension bushings, and didn't replace some worn suspension components, worn steering, etc. In their original state, the 1964-1965 Chevelle handled great, even with the bias ply tires. All three of my first generation Chevelles never had radial tires installed.

I currently own a 1964 Vette coupe with 62,000 original miles and all the suspension components are original(as it the engine, transmission, rear end, etc) except for the shocks.

I do have radials on it though. It drives superbly. I believe most of the ill handling early cars that have been "restored" have incorrect rubber suspension components, incorrect springs and incorrect shocks, thus they do have bad driving habits. Thus the ill handling can be contributed to the "restorer" and not the original engineers who designed the car.

No one will argue that modern cars have made improvements, but to classify older cars as crap is an injustice. Will my 1956 Vette and my 1964 vette out handle my 09 Z06...of course not. But the 64 will absolutely surprise you as to how well it handles the twisties and the rough roads.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

So if there were two sweepstakes with $100 tickets--one to win a new C7 and one to win the '58 that was pictured earlier (or something similar), which sweepstakes would you enter?[/QUOTE]

Wow. Way to difficult. Make it a 67 coupe with 427/ 435 and I would take that!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

So if there were two sweepstakes with $100 tickets--one to win a new C7 and one to win the '58 that was pictured earlier (or something similar), which sweepstakes would you enter?
Wow. Way to difficult. Make it a 67 coupe with 427/ 435 and I would take that![/QUOTE]

Yeah--I suspect the older guys who have had their share of new cars and then are disappointed next year when the newer cars come out might opt for the free vintage "whatever" versus the free C7. At least at this point in my life I know I probably would.

Quick Reply: Something About The Front Of C7 Reminds Me Of C1...