Sponsored by:

Cost of tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Also, I was speaking with a rep from one of the big multi-brand tire distributors this week. He said they previously tested a Viper with the Michelin PS2 tires and then the same car with Super Sports. He said the Super Sports were a little quieter, a little softer, and gripped a little better in rain. But on dry pavement, they did not grip quite as well as the older PS2's.
This is very inconsistent with other independent testing where the PSS outperformed the PS2 in all conditions. It could be something that Dodge spec'd specifically for tires for the Viper? My personal experience with PSS is they are notably better in the dry than the PS2 were... that is my subjective impression but it is supported by pretty much most, if not all, independant testing confirms that. I believe they were the fastest tire in their category that Tire Rack has tested in the dry.

With regard to the PSS spec'd on the C7, it will be difficult to know how they will perform if GM changed the tire from the standard PSS. If anything, I bet they outperform the standard tire but I have no basis for that other than wishful thinking
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by gthal
This is very inconsistent with other independent testing where the PSS outperformed the PS2 in all conditions. It could be something that Dodge spec'd specifically for tires for the Viper? My personal experience with PSS is they are notably better in the dry than the PS2 were... that is my subjective impression but it is supported by pretty much most, if not all, independant testing confirms that. I believe they were the fastest tire in their category that Tire Rack has tested in the dry.

With regard to the PSS spec'd on the C7, it will be difficult to know how they will perform if GM changed the tire from the standard PSS. If anything, I bet they outperform the standard tire but I have no basis for that other than wishful thinking
Regarding you first paragraph, I too am surprised by the different results. I have no personal favorites on that issue, just questions.

Regarding your second paragraph, I fear that any GM changes to the SS spec, especially for the C6/Stingray sizes, would be oriented toward better fuel economy and/or longer tire life. That usually comes at the expense of grip.

We should know in a year or so...

Quick Reply: Cost of tires