New Your Auto Show Video

Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default New Your Auto Show Video

I watched the last few minutes of the GM live showing of the new 2014 cars, including the SS the C7 of course and the last car they unveiled was the new Z28. They said that this is a track ready car and that is not drag strip, but road course. It comes from the factory with the carpet and padding removed from the trunk thin light weight glass in the rear window, no A/C No radio and the LS7 rated at 500HPgive or take a few HP.

Here is my question. The C7, which is the American sports car icon comes with all the whistles and bells heavier then the C6 and a 450 HP engine. Something is a little off here in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I watched the last few minutes of the GM live showing of the new 2014 cars, including the SS the C7 of course and the last car they unveiled was the new Z28. They said that this is a track ready car and that is not drag strip, but road course. It comes from the factory with the carpet and padding removed from the trunk thin light weight glass in the rear window, no A/C No radio and the LS7 rated at 500HPgive or take a few HP.

Here is my question. The C7, which is the American sports car icon comes with all the whistles and bells heavier then the C6 and a 450 HP engine. Something is a little off here in my opinion.
So, it is now the 4th MY of the new Camaro and they now come out with a track version specialty car and you want to equate that to the C7 base which doesn't even come to dealers for 6 months?

I see nothing wrong. The C7 base isn't even for sale yet. Maybe wait a year or two and see if there is a specialty version coming out.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

At least people can't complain that the c7 rear looks like a camaro rear anymore. All new rear for the camaro now.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So, it is now the 4th MY of the new Camaro and they now come out with a track version specialty car and you want to equate that to the C7 base which doesn't even come to dealers for 6 months?

I see nothing wrong. The C7 base isn't even for sale yet. Maybe wait a year or two and see if there is a specialty version coming out.
Yep -- this is something I guess the old COPO process accomplished, but as far as I know GM/Chevy has not done in decades. Taking a page from the Porsche playbook by charging more for less. If I were a GM stockholder I'd be happy to see this...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Yep -- this is something I guess the old COPO process accomplished, but as far as I know GM/Chevy has not done in decades. Taking a page from the Porsche playbook by charging more for less. If I were a GM stockholder I'd be happy to see this...
GM has offered a COPO Camaro for the past couple of years(for the drag strip boys). This one is for the road course boys.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM has offered a COPO Camaro for the past couple of years(for the drag strip boys). This one is for the road course boys.
Thanks for the education. Was that after a long hiatus? Obviously I don't follow this that closely...
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Thanks for the education. Was that after a long hiatus? Obviously I don't follow this that closely...
Very long hiatus. Like a one-year Yenko in 1981? Not sure of the history.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea that is a bit strange indeed.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

No mention of the weight?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by sam90lx
300 lbs lighter than the ZL1. Still pretty heavy.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by sam90lx
No, but I know the Camaro is no light weight, but I like that they are at least making an attempt to get some weight out and besides if you are a Camaro lover and want a track car why pay for A/C and a big stereo unit. If you watch the video, he also mentions acid dipping, but I don't think he was referring to the new Z28, but more about the old Z28 Trans Am cars.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where is said video?!

Get notified of new replies

To New Your Auto Show Video

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Your Auto Show Video