C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 exhaust manifolds-it this high tech performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Iron probably helps isolate some of the drivetrain noises better than SS. The LS motors are quite noisy and I imagine the LT isn't any better. I know when I did SS headers on my car, the engine's valvetrain seemed a tick louder than the iron manifolds.

FWIW, they used a similar 'shorty header' design that is used in the LS7 and LS9. They are actually quite a good design.
The thread starter here is really running low on substrate for his ongoing hate message. The LS7s work great just as they come from GM even if Peter is "surprised by that fact. Maybe the GM design guys just got lucky that time.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am surprised (well may not) that you would even bring this topic up seeing you started that post with the interview Motor trend did with Tadge and that was one of the questions and he answered it. Did you read the interview or just start the post?

Yup, answer is provided in the interview OP posted in the following thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-juechter.html

He's just trying to manufacture some more drama.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yup, answer is provided in the interview OP posted in the following thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-juechter.html

He's just trying to manufacture some more drama.
There is no hate or drame, I thought these were valid points. The only drama and hate are those you and few others will make of it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
There is no hate or drame, I thought these were valid points. The only drama and hate are those you and few others will make of it.
I'm not making anything out of it, just pointing out you'd already provided a path to the answer, making this thread seem odd. If you weren't in the drama making business with this thread, then my apologies.

In fact, I thought the interview you posted in that other thread was pretty interesting. As I commented in that thread it appears Tadge and his team are pursuing performance objectives while rationally weighing engineering trade-offs. Which is what I'd expect them to do.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

The shorty cast iron manifold is necessary to get the cat's to light off sooner for emissions purposed.

The one-piece cast iron manifold is cheaper to manufacture than the 2013 Z06 multi piece manifolds and I bet is just as efficient. I bet the net weight is close to the same.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you may recall, you were supposedly asking a question. You just don't apparently want to hear an answer or you would actually look for it and bring the answer back here for us all to hear.

That info might then actually contain valid points. Got it?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RussM05
The shorty cast iron manifold is necessary to get the cat's to light off sooner for emissions purposed.

The one-piece cast iron manifold is cheaper to manufacture than the 2013 Z06 multi piece manifolds and I bet is just as efficient. I bet the net weight is close to the same.
I would expect Tadge to post some numbers then. If this is cheaper, lighter and more efficient, I would be very impressed.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
As you may recall, you were supposedly asking a question. You just don't apparently want to hear an answer or you would actually look for it and bring the answer back here for us all to hear.

That info might then actually contain valid points. Got it?
If the anwer was readily available, I would not be asking at all. Got a link to a website that includes all C7 high tech highlits and their quantification? Post the link and it should be good reading for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I would expect Tadge to post some numbers then. If this is cheaper, lighter and more efficient, I would be very impressed.
Lemme see if I get this right. You want Tadge to post the specific weight of the manifolds?

Maybe you could order some and find out what the shipping weight is.

I'm curious...how much do the 2013 Viper's manifolds weigh?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Obviously GM needs some design help. Fortunately we have people on the forum who are wiling to point out shortcomings.
Bill thanks for the laughs!

As mentioned the cast iron exhaust manifold is to isolate the AFM technology that allows this sub 4 second to 60 mph, 190 mph 50 grand sports car get 30 mpg on the highway
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I'm not making anything out of it, just pointing out you'd already provided a path to the answer, making this thread seem odd. If you weren't in the drama making business with this thread, then my apologies.

In fact, I thought the interview you posted in that other thread was pretty interesting. As I commented in that thread it appears Tadge and his team are pursuing performance objectives while rationally weighing engineering trade-offs. Which is what I'd expect them to do.
Interesting take on the interview. To me, Tadge comes across as someone who does not place performance high on the list of priorities, at least not when fuel economy and cost are involved. To put it politely, he seems to be a unimaginative bean counter, without a single trace of Duntov or Shelby in him... The opening statment shows it very well. Nevertheless, we need some info on the weight and efficiency improvements, I already know it is cheap to manufacture...
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Apparently I just cannot keep up with that weight saving and performance increasing going backwards to iron from stainless steel and aluminum to steel.
Apparently you just can't quit you contant bit@hing! Get over it already! We all know you detest darn near everything about the C7. Move on already! Go to the Viper forum where you belong!

You are like a spoiled rotten little brat who didn't get his way! Bit@h, Bit@h, Bit@h is about all you ever do. That and start worthless threads to bit@h in!

ENOUGH ALREADY! Grow up or move on!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Interesting take on the interview. To me, Tadge comes across as someone who does not place performance high on the list of priorities, at least not when fuel economy and cost are involved. To put it politely, he seems to be a unimaginative bean counter, without a single trace of Duntov or Shelby in him... The opening statment shows it very well. Nevertheless, we need some info on the weight and efficiency improvements, I already know it is cheap to manufacture...
He's the unimaginative guy whose ZR1 kicked the new Viper's azz.
I'd say he has a lot of Duntov's spirit in him.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

You claim to be a civil engineer. Have you ever lead the engineering team on any project that was not cost plus, and needed to turn a profit? Did you set all of the design criteria for the project? Did you have to engineer the project to meet all of the criteria including performance specs, space constraints, cost constraints, clearance constraints. Would you have engineered it differently if you had no constraints? If you had only one of those constraints had be removed or changed? Did you engineer it well beyond normal safety margins for performance without increasing the cost?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

He's the unimaginative guy whose ZR1 kicked the new Viper's azz.
I'd say he has a lot of Duntov's spirit in him.
I usually agree with you but Viper just reclaimed the title over ZR1. Apparently they made some changes to the Viper and dubbed it the Viper TA and beat the ZR1's time by a hair. Still doesn't bode well for the Viper considering their brand new model is fighting tooth and nail to keep up with a now out of production model.
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/3/2...ption-7713511/

I'd expect GM to have an answer for the snake with the up and coming C7 Z models.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer X
You claim to be a civil engineer. Have you ever lead the engineering team on any project that was not cost plus, and needed to turn a profit? Did you set all of the design criteria for the project? Did you have to engineer the project to meet all of the criteria including performance specs, space constraints, cost constraints, clearance constraints. Would you have engineered it differently if you had no constraints? If you had only one of those constraints had be removed or changed? Did you engineer it well beyond normal safety margins for performance without increasing the cost?
How much do you think a better and stainless steel manifold would add to the overall cost? Do you think it would raise the cost by 50 dollars?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Lemme see if I get this right. You want Tadge to post the specific weight of the manifolds?

Maybe you could order some and find out what the shipping weight is.

I'm curious...how much do the 2013 Viper's manifolds weigh?
I do not know, but I am sure the comparisson would be meaningful

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 exhaust manifolds-it this high tech performance?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by slief
I usually agree with you but Viper just reclaimed the title over ZR1. Apparently they made some changes to the Viper and dubbed it the Viper TA and beat the ZR1's time by a hair. Still doesn't bode well for the Viper considering their brand new model is fighting tooth and nail to keep up with a now out of production model.
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/3/2...ption-7713511/

I'd expect GM to have an answer for the snake with the up and coming C7 Z models.
3 months of whining, juiced Viper, different weather, no ZR1, .08 sec. Pretty chickensh*t of Ralph. Talk about no imagination or class.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I do not know, but I am sure the comparisson would be meaningful
Wait, you still don't have the weight of the Viper's manifolds? After all this time? What are they hiding?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Wait, you still don't have the weight of the Viper's manifolds? After all this time? What are they hiding?
I know they are not hiding the weight of the car or its horsepower You keep taking stabs at Viper assuming I think it is a perfect car? You are one funny guy, LMAO

Quick Reply: LT1 exhaust manifolds-it this high tech performance?