C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 exhaust manifolds-it this high tech performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Interesting take on the interview. To me, Tadge comes across as someone who does not place performance high on the list of priorities, at least not when fuel economy and cost are involved. To put it politely, he seems to be a unimaginative bean counter, without a single trace of Duntov or Shelby in him... The opening statment shows it very well. Nevertheless, we need some info on the weight and efficiency improvements, I already know it is cheap to manufacture...
I suppose that's possible.

I reckon tho that until anybody in here:

- designs a sports car from a clean sheet;
- manuevers thru the myriad manufacturing hurdles necessary to actually build it;
- obtains all required govt certification and passable test results;
- navigates all the other regulatory mandates;
- actually manages to build street worthy copies of it;
- and the car actually manages to offer all-around performance comparable to the Corvette (at any price, let alone at team vette's price point);
- actually is able to garner customers who actually buy it,

then I'm going to be more prone to believe Tadge and team know a hell of lot more about how to do this than anybody in here, myself and yourself included.

And I bet once C7 goes into production, you'll be able to look up the weight of those manifolds if such is still important to you.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm... Nothing Nick at American Racing Headers in Amityville can't fix!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint

- manuevers thru the myriad manufacturing hurdles necessary to actually build it;
- and the car actually manages to offer all-around performance comparable to the Corvette (at any price, let alone at team vette's price point);

then I'm going to be more prone to believe Tadge and team know a hell of lot more about how to do this than anybody in here, myself and yourself included.

And I bet once C7 goes into production, you'll be able to look up the weight of those manifolds if such is still important to you.
Well said.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not related to the manifolds but it kinda is, IMO, Corvette would be better off if GM farmed out the design and let an outsider do it, someone not bound by bean counting. Then, the design could be negotiated down to the corporate reality. Pontiac Fiero was designed this way, it woulid never look like it did if GM did this part. GM killed the Fiero mechanically but the design was excellent.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not related to the manifolds but it kinda is, IMO, Corvette would be better off if GM farmed out the design and let an outsider do it, someone not bound by bean counting. Then, the design could be negotiated down to the corporate reality. Pontiac Fiero was designed this way, it woulid never look like it did if GM did this part. GM killed the Fiero mechanically but the design was excellent.
:rof l:
They should let you design the rear end. The hits just keep on comin'!
Its interesting to ponder that an outsider wouldn't ever be accountable to any "bean-counter". Negotiated down to the corporate reality? That IS being bound by bean counting.

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Remind us again, what did the exhaust manifolds weigh on the Fiero?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Remind us again, what did the exhaust manifolds weigh on the Fiero?
Laugh all you want, we all have our opinons. The method used to piece the new Vette together is typical GM corporate mentality and it shows, in details like these manifolds.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't know about farming out the design. I think some of that has been done with some success and other times with less success - Gandini doing some Lambo design vs. Chrysler and Maser's attempts to marry up a car well.

That said, I liked the concept that Fiero represented. Really thought GM gave up on that one way, way too early.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The material chosen for various parts throughout the design were specifically chosen.

The cast iron manifolds successfully muffle the AFM induced noise ...

It will be interesting how the aftermarket successfully designs headers and aftermarket exhausts..

Could be quite a challenge
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Don't know about farming out the design. I think some of that has been done with some success and other times with less success - Gandini doing some Lambo design vs. Chrysler and Maser's attempts to marry up a car well.

That said, I liked the concept that Fiero represented. Really thought GM gave up on that one way, way too early.
Fiero design was contracted out to Entech , it would never happen if Hulki was not around. GM gave up on thinking long time ago...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"Launched in 1983, the Pontiac Fiero promised to be a good-looking, affordable mid-engine sports car, introducing exciting new techniques in production and design. Alas, it proved to be one of GM's great disasters: overweight and underpowered, tarnished by alarming reports of reliability problems and engine fires. By 1988, the corporation brought down the ax on one it's biggest failures"
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Imagine what that little sports car would be today with the benefit of another two decades of development.

Could have been a nice rear/mid-engine ride.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Vette is a 50k car. You can complain about bean counters all you want, but Tadge was given requirements he had to meet. 50k price, 30MPG, better lap time than C6. If you want a no compromise car go guy a McLaren. Sure there are a few things we could point out and say this would only be 50 dollars more to upgrade, but those 50 dollars start to add up quickly.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Obviously GM needs some design help. Fortunately we have people on the forum who are wiling to point out shortcomings.

Michael
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidl81
The Vette is a 50k car. You can complain about bean counters all you want, but Tadge was given requirements he had to meet. 50k price, 30MPG, better lap time than C6. If you want a no compromise car go guy a McLaren. Sure there are a few things we could point out and say this would only be 50 dollars more to upgrade, but those 50 dollars start to add up quickly.
Real engineers never have to work within a budget or silly requirements. They are all free-thinking creatives who have no restrictions.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

You guys have said some pretty nasty things about Peter but you do have to admit he's pretty damn talented. Even after all this time he has this rare ability to repeatedly post here and be taken seriously by all us fools. He plays us like a fiddle. His threads go on and on and on, fueled by just the right dose of negativity and argumentativity to keep us cranked up and replying. He's good. But sorry, I'm just burned out
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I think this is a legitimate and interesting technical issue for the OP to introduce. Cast vs. weldment exhaust manifolds involve some subtle and arguable tradeoffs with regard to performance, cost, weight, cat light-off, durability, leak potential, NVH, and probably some other issues I can't think of right now. Cat light-off time is especially important, and I've seen cast vs. weldment arguments in the technical literature on this subject.

My take is that different OEMs interpret the tradeoff differently. For example, while Corvettes such as the LT1 have cast manifolds, relatively inexpensive Ford Mustang V-8s had welded steel "headers" for many years.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

How much do you think a better and stainless steel manifold would add to the overall cost? Do you think it would raise the cost by 50 dollars?
You did not answer the questions.

Is that because you are not a civil engineer? Is it because you have never lead a project? Or is it because truthful answers would show Tadge is doing his job well, within the design criteria he was given? Is it because it will show that you are complaing about the wrong thing and the wrong person. That it will you are just being petty against Tadge?

I think your not answering the questions says a lot about you.

A stainless steel would be better in what way? What were the design criteria? Without knowing the design criteria; a good engineer wouldn't know the answer. I think cast iron was the best engineering solution for the design criteria for the total product.

Quick Reply: LT1 exhaust manifolds-it this high tech performance?