Sponsored by:

NYC Auto Show - C7 - My Unbiased Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default NYC Auto Show - C7 - My Unbiased Opinion

As promised, I said I would do a write up of the C7 after I saw it at the NYC auto show. So here goes. My unbiased 27 year old current C6 owner opinion. As noted in many of my C7 posts, there are a lot of things I love about the car, but the rear I am so so with.

There were only 3 C7 Corvettes in NYC (no C6s). As you walk into the Javetts center, you will see the red C7 mounted high up on a wall overlooking everyone. It looks cool up there, but personally I really wanted to see the red car up close and personal. There were 2 cars on the floor, a C7 Z51 grey coupe and a C7 midnight blue vert (and very attractive females throughout the floor haha). Here are my impressions of both cars:

C7 Grey Z51 coupe - It is a very cool car in person. The front is a bit more edgy then the current C6, but it does still retain a sleek flow IMO. I was expecting it to be more boxy, but it is a very cool front. The sides are cool, looks like a vette (the stingray emblem is so so, but not too bad). Carbon fiber roof looks very cool in person. The rear on the cyber grey car is better then the pics, but still is prob the weakest part of the car. The 4 exhaust tips looked a little weird I thought. They are prob 4 inch tips, and I think may be a little too big for the car. The interior looks better then the current C6. It was hard to tell though because they didn't let you sit in the car. I really liked the racing seats though.

C7 Midnight blue vert - I like the vert better then the coupe (and I am more of a hard top guy). Same overall impression as my review of the coupe, expect the rear looked better as it was a little less busy. The rear was still the weakest part of the car though IMO. The interior of the vert was stunning! It was suede and looked very very nice. Like a high end sports car interior. Very impressed with this.

I spent a lot of time at the C7 station. I asked about pricing and I got the "we do not have pricing yet, but if you can afford the C6 car you can afford the C7." Just like we have been hearing. In terms of the buzz with other people around the car, there were mixed reviews. Here were a few of my convos.

Convo 1 - With a current Jaguar owner (prob in 30-40s). Overall he thought it was a hot car. I told him I currently own a C6 and he thought I should get the C7 for sure. "Be the first one on the road to have one," he said. I asked him if he was going to buy one and his response was, "No way. I like it, but I'm a Jaguar guy..."

Convo 2 - With a current ferrari and corvette owner (Ferrari owner prob 50s, and Vette owner 60-65s). First I spoke with the Ferrari guy. Overall he liked it, but didn't like the "Camaro" lights and said the interior was so-so. Then he made a good point. The word around the car was that the fully loaded coupe may be $70k. "What's going to cause a new non-corvette enthusiast to purchase one of these if it costs that much?" he asked. "They can buy a Porsche Caymen..."

Convo 3 - It was with a mother and her daughter (prob in her 20s). The father (50s) owns a 2013 grand sport and was looking at the car. The mom and daughter knew their vettes. Overall they weren't too happy with it and thought the current C6 looked better. The girl said "if I wanted Camaro tail lights, I'd buy a Camaro. The back lights don't look like a vette, they need to be round."

Convo 4 - With a father (40s) and son (teenager) and a hostess behind us listening. They mentioned to me that they liked the car but were disappointed the lights weren't round. The father said to me "it's a Corvette. They need to be round. Period." The hostess behind us over heard and she said "that has been the biggest comment out of everyone's mouth today. Gorgeous car, but the tail lights need to be round like a Vette." I remained neutral with this convo.

Overall view - I liked the car a lot more in person. I can personally a test that it does look better in person then in the pics. It is def a really cool sports car. Would I buy one though right now? Only if money wasn't an issue and I could keep my current C6 as well. For me personally, the C7 would be a cool car to add to my garage on top of the C6, but not replace it. I can honestly say that I am glad I purchased my C6, because to me the round tail lights are signature Corvette. Yes I understand Chevy is trying out a new look, but I wouldn't feel like I owned a true vette if I didn't have one vette that had the signature back tail lights. I took a lot of time examining the C7 rear. Stood close and far away from it. Don't let people fool you, round lights DO work with this car! They would work just fine.

I am def curious and anxiously awaiting to see what the performance C7 models will look like. They will def be bada$$ for sure, and who knows maybe one of these models will give me the extra push I need to purchase one.

To those who do purchase a C7 when they hit showrooms, I wish you all the best of luck! I really do think it is overall a cool car, but is just missing a little bit of tradition in the back for me to let my current car go. Anyways, long like the Vette
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good review! worth every minute to read it. thanks/
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Great review. I had a very similar reaction When I saw it earlier this month at the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles. The front really is stunning.

My (unscientific) observation is that with every passing show and appearance the C7 makes more people are cooling to the rear end design. The wow of the January reveal is now over and many more people have seen it. As the hostess who worked the station all day noted - people aren't digging that rear end.

And I agree Round lights could work, but they need to clean up the busy fascia for them to be truly at home.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll also say thanks for posting. In depth, good reading.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
KaMiSxY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review man but phuk the round tail lights...tired of the old *** people hatin on the car....I'm which.encyclopedia does it say the lights have to be round or its not a Corvette? Seriously tired of this chit
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great review and very well thought out! Thank you very much for taking the time to write all that.
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks...interesting comments by the hostess.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KaMiSxY
Nice review man but phuk the round tail lights...tired of the old *** people hatin on the car....I'm which.encyclopedia does it say the lights have to be round or its not a Corvette? Seriously tired of this chit
While I like the rear end of the C7, not everybody is going to feel the same. A well thought out unbiased review should be welcome here regardless if they like it or not. There is no reason to take issue with that. He's not flooding the forum with constant dismay. He's writing an honest review and was very objective.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a feeling they may change the rear somewhere down the line on the C7. That's what makes me want to wait.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
I have a feeling they may change the rear somewhere down the line on the C7. That's what makes me want to wait.
I agree, GM didn't get defensive on the rear end's styling because they had gotten nothing but phrase for it.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you were talking to a bunch of clueless idiots. Round lights? People need to get over this already. Its really old news. Also, the idiot that said someone would buy a porsche gayman over the new C7 is clearly retarded. You couldnt pay me to drive that car. I dont give a damn how well it handles.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you were talking to a bunch of clueless idiots. Round lights? People need to get over this already. Its really old news. Also, the idiot that said someone would buy a porsche gayman over the new C7 is clearly retarded. You couldnt pay me to drive that car. I dont give a damn how well it handles.
So, everyone who doesn't gush over the rear end is a clueless idiot? That's a mature viewpoint.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
KaMiSxY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Lol I agree what do those women know about cars anyways...she just made an opinion ...yude have to put a Camaro and a vette side by side just to show her ...look lady...they are different
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Mike Hart
Cruising

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
As promised, I said I would do a write up of the C7 after I saw it at the NYC auto show. So here goes. My unbiased 27 year old current C6 owner opinion. As noted in many of my C7 posts, there are a lot of things I love about the car, but the rear I am so so with.

There were only 3 C7 Corvettes in NYC (no C6s). As you walk into the Javetts center, you will see the red C7 mounted high up on a wall overlooking everyone. It looks cool up there, but personally I really wanted to see the red car up close and personal. There were 2 cars on the floor, a C7 Z51 grey coupe and a C7 midnight blue vert (and very attractive females throughout the floor haha). Here are my impressions of both cars:

C7 Grey Z51 coupe - It is a very cool car in person. The front is a bit more edgy then the current C6, but it does still retain a sleek flow IMO. I was expecting it to be more boxy, but it is a very cool front. The sides are cool, looks like a vette (the stingray emblem is so so, but not too bad). Carbon fiber roof looks very cool in person. The rear on the cyber grey car is better then the pics, but still is prob the weakest part of the car. The 4 exhaust tips looked a little weird I thought. They are prob 4 inch tips, and I think may be a little too big for the car. The interior looks better then the current C6. It was hard to tell though because they didn't let you sit in the car. I really liked the racing seats though.

C7 Midnight blue vert - I like the vert better then the coupe (and I am more of a hard top guy). Same overall impression as my review of the coupe, expect the rear looked better as it was a little less busy. The rear was still the weakest part of the car though IMO. The interior of the vert was stunning! It was suede and looked very very nice. Like a high end sports car interior. Very impressed with this.

I spent a lot of time at the C7 station. I asked about pricing and I got the "we do not have pricing yet, but if you can afford the C6 car you can afford the C7." Just like we have been hearing. In terms of the buzz with other people around the car, there were mixed reviews. Here were a few of my convos.

Convo 1 - With a current Jaguar owner (prob in 30-40s). Overall he thought it was a hot car. I told him I currently own a C6 and he thought I should get the C7 for sure. "Be the first one on the road to have one," he said. I asked him if he was going to buy one and his response was, "No way. I like it, but I'm a Jaguar guy..."

Convo 2 - With a current ferrari and corvette owner (Ferrari owner prob 50s, and Vette owner 60-65s). First I spoke with the Ferrari guy. Overall he liked it, but didn't like the "Camaro" lights and said the interior was so-so. Then he made a good point. The word around the car was that the fully loaded coupe may be $70k. "What's going to cause a new non-corvette enthusiast to purchase one of these if it costs that much?" he asked. "They can buy a Porsche Caymen..."

Convo 3 - It was with a mother and her daughter (prob in her 20s). The father (50s) owns a 2013 grand sport and was looking at the car. The mom and daughter knew their vettes. Overall they weren't too happy with it and thought the current C6 looked better. The girl said "if I wanted Camaro tail lights, I'd buy a Camaro. The back lights don't look like a vette, they need to be round."

Convo 4 - With a father (40s) and son (teenager) and a hostess behind us listening. They mentioned to me that they liked the car but were disappointed the lights weren't round. The father said to me "it's a Corvette. They need to be round. Period." The hostess behind us over heard and she said "that has been the biggest comment out of everyone's mouth today. Gorgeous car, but the tail lights need to be round like a Vette." I remained neutral with this convo.

Overall view - I liked the car a lot more in person. I can personally a test that it does look better in person then in the pics. It is def a really cool sports car. Would I buy one though right now? Only if money wasn't an issue and I could keep my current C6 as well. For me personally, the C7 would be a cool car to add to my garage on top of the C6, but not replace it. I can honestly say that I am glad I purchased my C6, because to me the round tail lights are signature Corvette. Yes I understand Chevy is trying out a new look, but I wouldn't feel like I owned a true vette if I didn't have one vette that had the signature back tail lights. I took a lot of time examining the C7 rear. Stood close and far away from it. Don't let people fool you, round lights DO work with this car! They would work just fine.

I am def curious and anxiously awaiting to see what the performance C7 models will look like. They will def be bada$$ for sure, and who knows maybe one of these models will give me the extra push I need to purchase one.

To those who do purchase a C7 when they hit showrooms, I wish you all the best of luck! I really do think it is overall a cool car, but is just missing a little bit of tradition in the back for me to let my current car go. Anyways, long like the Vette
Nice review, way to leave out the Porsche owner you talked to (me) haha

It's OK though, I'll fill in my 2 cents...

I actually liked the C7 convertible a lot. The suede interior looks really nice, and I think the convertible rear end treatment works better. It also helps that the convertible body color was almost the same as the lower trim on the back of the car - it hides some of the "busyness" in the rear end design, if you will.

Also, the idiot that said someone would buy a porsche gayman over the new C7 is clearly retarded. You couldnt pay me to drive that car. I dont give a damn how well it handles.
Cute. You've clearly never driven a Cayman have you? The old ones are great cars, and the new one is a huge step up from there. From what Chevy has been saying, the C7 will be priced very close to the Cayman and the 2 cars will be pretty similar in terms of performance. I think most people who look at one are at least thinking about the other.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

good review...thx for posting !
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 PM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrific write up. Thanks for the details and letting me "be there" so to speak. No major car shows here in Texas.

Myself, I like the rear treatment. It makes me think of the ALMS race car and the F-117 stealth fighter with all the faceting. What some see as busy or non-traditional, I see as consistent. Lines and edges reinforcing the "V" shape of the new crossed flags logo in back and the new "L" shape running LEDs in the front.

That opinion may not have made me popular with the show crowd, but I'm sure they would hate my taste in music and art as well.

Get notified of new replies

To NYC Auto Show - C7 - My Unbiased Opinion

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry I left you out of the review Mike. Great time at the show today!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by KaMiSxY
Lol I agree what do those women know about cars anyways...she just made an opinion ...yude have to put a Camaro and a vette side by side just to show her ...look lady...they are different
You are the one who is clueless about women. I know several women who own Corvettes and it's a stupid man that tells his better half to screw off when he decides to buy a new 50-120K car(especially a toy) without her input.

Women are just as passionate about their cars as the men are. Do you really believe that women just buy a car(or have a say in the family's purchase of a car) and not consider the styling of the car? I believe they are more perceptive then you are.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
So, everyone who doesn't gush over the rear end is a clueless idiot? That's a mature viewpoint.
its one thing to dislike the rear, its another to keep saying it looks like a camaro and then wanting round lights. move along

Quick Reply: NYC Auto Show - C7 - My Unbiased Opinion