Originally Posted by OnPoint
Chum for even more fish. . . .
Damn, caught me without my license!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
But you put it within the context of the lap differential at the Ring.
I was referring to the ZR1 times of 2:51.8 down to the 2:50.7. The ZR1 with the cup tires should have dropped the time more than 1.1 seconds. The write up on the ZR1 in that article even mentions that. It was in the 2012 test not the 2013.

Last edited by skank; 04-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I was referring to the ZR1 times of 2:51.8 down to the 2:50.7. The ZR1 with the cup tires should have dropped the time more than 1.1 seconds. The write up on the ZR1 in that article even mentions that. It was in the 2012 test not the 2013.
I get that. But looking at your original post, you certainly linked the expectation to a result found elsewhere:
I always wondered why the second ZR1 time was not proportionally faster than the first time since the Ring times were significantly different.
As racerns suggested, conditions could account for the minimal time difference. Then again, the PS2 is no slouch. C&D tested its longterm M3 on BMW-specific Cup+ and found them to return times similar to the OEM PS2s (which while fast also seemed to degrade faster than the Cups).
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I'm betting a 2:53 and the new Porsche GT3 right there with it since the 997 GT3RS did a 2:55.9
didn't mero say he did it with the added weight of a roll bar and 100lbs of data logging equipment?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Rubber Ducky
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Bill factored in having to make a pit stop to take a leak, half way around the course.
At the traditional spot — behind the Oak Tree...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

No way in hell did he run a 2:50-51 with a C7.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
didn't mero say he did it with the added weight of a roll bar and 100lbs of data logging equipment?
Yes, thats what RC000E reported from Mero's talk.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
No way in hell did he run a 2:50-51 with a C7.
Here is what RC000E reported from Mero's talk on his Bash Updates and Info Thread.

Bash updates and info
Points of interest so far:

Z51 4-5 seconds faster per lap at vir than prior z51 car. This is with c7 equipped with full datalogging equipment. Would not give exact time but it appears to be likely its 2:50 or 2:51

Shakedown test between grand sport oem goodyears vs c7 245/285's yielded 1 second per lap faster time. Test car was c6 z06. Vir. They have been amazed by the michelin tire

C7 now has adjustable rear caster, improved roll center and lower cog than c6

Mero says, the car feels lighter and is an absolute monster to drive....he assures everyone they'll be amazed.

MR suspension vastly improved. Faster processor, dual coil, far better ability to fine tune. The changes between modes for touring and track are substantial and only possible via this new generation system.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Thanks for the specs skank! With all due respect I can't see Mero saying anything else praise for the new car. And I'm sure it does have some improved handling but to run 2:50ish with that little tire and motor is insanely fast especially comparing it to some of the pasts heavy hitters. Not sure if these are all the same course to be honest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Here is what RC000E reported from Mero's talk on his Bash Updates and Info Thread.

Bash updates and info
Points of interest so far:

Z51 4-5 seconds faster per lap at vir than prior z51 car. This is with c7 equipped with full datalogging equipment. Would not give exact time but it appears to be likely its 2:50 or 2:51

Shakedown test between grand sport oem goodyears vs c7 245/285's yielded 1 second per lap faster time. Test car was c6 z06. Vir. They have been amazed by the michelin tire

C7 now has adjustable rear caster, improved roll center and lower cog than c6

Mero says, the car feels lighter and is an absolute monster to drive....he assures everyone they'll be amazed.

MR suspension vastly improved. Faster processor, dual coil, far better ability to fine tune. The changes between modes for touring and track are substantial and only possible via this new generation system.
Now we know what GM means when they said competitive lap times with todays ZO6 at VIR....
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Now we know what GM means when they said competitive lap times with todays ZO6 at VIR....
Well Mero has done 2:54 @ VIR with a Grand Sport. C7 being 4/5 sec faster puts it dangerously close to the 2:45 time of the ZR1.

I guess I know what they mean by "competitive with today's Z06".

Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

It is pretty hard to believe that a car with roughly 175 less horse power and 285's can be only 4-5 seconds slower than a car that is designed for a road course and runs cup tires over a 4 mile course. It just doesn't seem logical.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the specs skank! With all due respect I can't see Mero saying anything else praise for the new car. And I'm sure it does have some improved handling but to run 2:50ish with that little tire and motor is insanely fast especially comparing it to some of the pasts heavy hitters. Not sure if these are all the same course to be honest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10
You really can't compare LL times to a full factory backed excursion. The guys at C&D have three days to time many,many cars. I'd bet they spend less than an hours time in each car,including trying to get a timed lap. While GM has three days to get the best possible time they can with just one car make.

Secondly,C&D isn't going to push the cars nearly as hard. They don't have the safety net that GM has with the addition of a roll bar. Nor the improved rigidity it provides. Not to mention,they don't have an identical car back in the paddock if they wad one up to jump in to. Plus a frowning Mfg tapping his foot about their destroyed car.

And last,but not least,they don't have the skills of an Aaron Link or Jim Mero.

If GM says the C7 ran a 2:50ish lap, you can bet it will run ~5sec slower in next years C&D Lightning Lap.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

It is pretty hard to believe that a car with roughly 175 less horse power and 285's can be only 4-5 seconds slower than a car that is designed for a road course and runs cup tires over a 4 mile course. It just doesn't seem logical.
The Z06 Centennial is within 1 second on some tracks and what like 3 seconds on the nurburgring with 133 less hp and without generational advancements in technology. And how about the Grandsport?

The ZR1 can't use all of that power on those tires unless its almost straight. Overkill and diminishing returns on hp not to mention quite a heavy beast.

Last edited by heavychevy; 04-30-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redzone
You really can't compare LL times to a full factory backed excursion. The guys at C&D have three days to time many,many cars. I'd bet they spend less than an hours time in each car,including trying to get a timed lap. While GM has three days to get the best possible time they can with just one car make.

Secondly,C&D isn't going to push the cars nearly as hard. They don't have the safety net that GM has with the addition of a roll bar. Nor the improved rigidity it provides. Not to mention,they don't have an identical car back in the paddock if they wad one up to jump in to. Plus a frowning Mfg tapping his foot about their destroyed car.

And last,but not least,they don't have the skills of an Aaron Link or Jim Mero.

If GM says the C7 ran a 2:50ish lap, you can bet it will run ~5sec slower in next years C&D Lightning Lap.
Didn't Mero run 2:46ish in the ZR1? That is what I meant, you are correct in that the C/D guys aren't in the same league. Let me put it this way, Mero driving a 638hp tracker with massive cups vs. a 450ish hp (what I believe is a mule) untested/non tweaked car with skinny 285's, not near the grip or footprint. The ZR1 had 4-5 years to run that 2:46, to say this inferior car ran 2:50ish is very hard to imagine.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Didn't Mero run 2:46ish in the ZR1? That is what I meant, you are correct in that the C/D guys aren't in the same league. Let me put it this way, Mero driving a 638hp tracker with massive cups vs. a 450ish hp (what I believe is a mule) untested/non tweaked car with skinny 285's, not near the grip or footprint. The ZR1 had 4-5 years to run that 2:46, to say this inferior car ran 2:50ish is very hard to imagine.
I agree,it's a real head scratcher and a phenomenal feat if true. The only advantage I can think of that the C7 has over the C6 ZR1 is the 3rd gen of the MSRC vs the 2nd gen in the ZR1.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
I agree,it's a real head scratcher and a phenomenal feat if true. The only advantage I can think of that the C7 has over the C6 ZR1 is the 3rd gen of the MSRC vs the 2nd gen in the ZR1.
Chassis stiffness, suspension and power delivery all matter too. I am by no stretch suggesting the C7 will compete with a ZR1 but HP is NOT the most important stat on a track.

My E36 M3 track car with its mighty 250HP would run neck and neck with Z06's. They would pull on the straights but I would catch them in braking zones, through corners and also I could have my foot planted on corner exit much earlier.

You guys are all underestimating the impact of chassis and suspension for the track where braking, cornering and getting the power down efficiently and early make a bigger difference, IMO, than out right power. If the C7 made advancements in those areas (which it has), then it doesn't surprise me that it performs better on a road course than its HP rating would suggest it should.

Here is my prediction... the C7 Z06 will outperform the C6 ZR1 on almost every track. It will have the chassis and suspension enhancements of the C7 Z51 but will also have big power to match.

Last edited by gthal; 04-30-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To If Jim Mero has truly done a 2:50 - 2:51 at VIR

Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I don't disagree with you gthal regarding the newer components but the ZR1 is a world class record holder at that track, to say it's entire composition is anything but track designed would be wrong. Also it is a car that needed a few years of tweaking to get to the summit, I'm guessing the C7 they ran is a mule for no line cars have been built yet, so for it to go out and run 4 seconds slower is either an absolutely amazing accomplishment or it's a bunch of baloney. You mention chassis, braking and cornering as if the ZR1 was lacking in these areas, it's one of the fastest and best track cars ever built. Massive CCB's, huge sticky rubber and huge hp/torque, how can the C7 compete with that is my question especially being a mule.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

While we all agree Mero can extract the most out of it, The C&D guys should be able to be within 3-4 seconds of Mero. At Motor Trend they use Randy Pobst. That will be a whole different ball game as Pobst will be close to Mero even though Mero has the advantage of their engineers being there to assist. I've seen Pobst at Laguna and that guy can fly.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't disagree with you gthal regarding the newer components but the ZR1 is a world class record holder at that track, to say it's entire composition is anything but track designed would be wrong. Also it is a car that needed a few years of tweaking to get to the summit, I'm guessing the C7 they ran is a mule for no line cars have been built yet, so for it to go out and run 4 seconds slower is either an absolutely amazing accomplishment or it's a bunch of baloney. You mention chassis, braking and cornering as if the ZR1 was lacking in these areas, it's one of the fastest and best track cars ever built. Massive CCB's, huge sticky rubber and huge hp/torque, how can the C7 compete with that is my question especially being a mule.
Don't get me wrong... I understand how well sorted the ZR1 is (and the Z06) and there is zero debate on it being the faster car in every conceivable way. All I was suggesting was that it doesn't surprise me that the C7 punches above its HP rating IF they were able to get the chassis and suspension correct.

I, for one, do NOT believe it will match either the ZR1 or Z06 on the track... those cars are very capable from a chassis perspective and have the power to back it up. I just won't be surprised if the C7 is closer in performance on a track than its power rating would suggest it should be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If Jim Mero has truly done a 2:50 - 2:51 at VIR