Sponsored by:

General Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by straightedge442
Hence the post being about GM's turnaround. They were a horrible company until their reform in 2010.
GM is, or at least was, a health care provider that manufactures cars on the side.

They had to break the crushing weight of their pension and benefit obligations. Could not sell enough cars to do so and the cars they sold had prices that were about $1500 (or more depending on which Wall Street analyst you believe) higher than they needed to be (compared to imports) simply to cover their retiree/union obligations. If they were able to slash prices by an average of $1500, or better yet, plow $1500 worth of quality back into the car... wow.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
In the 70-80's GM was all I drove.
worst and ugliest GM products were made in the 70s and 80s (same was true for most auto companies ...you must be joking
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

With the release of pretty much every new vehicle in the last two years, GM has made a bold statement of its own return. Through its drastically improved product, this company is assuring us that it is a world power again, and the restoration of its bright ambition is becoming glaringly evident. Vehicles like the C7, the new Camaro, the SS, and Cadillac's entire fleet send a deep message of a glorious uprising back to the top. The effect this will have on the competition will be interesting to watch unfold as well.
Please put down the crack pipe!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94
Please put down the crack pipe!

Whats wrong with his post, I agree with every word of it and I'm sure many others here do also. GM is once again the largest vehicle producer on earth. Maybe you should lay off the drugs
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

With the release of pretty much every new vehicle in the last two years, GM has made a bold statement of its own return. Through its drastically improved product, this company is assuring us that it is a world power again, and the restoration of its bright ambition is becoming glaringly evident. Vehicles like the C7, the new Camaro, the SS, and Cadillac's entire fleet send a deep message of a glorious uprising back to the top. The effect this will have on the competition will be interesting to watch unfold as well.
Just to add the list of excellent cars, the Chevrolet Volt. Love mine! Lots of technology, engineering, and thoughts went into the car.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Hotrodpt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And now I hear they are adding a diesel Chevy Cruze to their lineup - good move to compete with the Volkswagen Passet TDI which is selling well (my cousin bought one).
Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
True that. In addition to the bail out, many of us lost $$$ on the B/K when the stock went to zero.

Hasn't changed my Love for the Corvette, 'tho!

But I'll be damned if I'll ever buy GM stock again. My Ford stock, however, has gone from $2+ to $13+, with no bailout. Hmmmmm...............
if you don't count the $5.9 Billion Ford got from the gov't at the same time of the GM and Chrysler bailouts intended to be used by them to develop alternative drivetrains like hybrids, electric vehicles,etc to promote competitive US green cars .
It still came from us taxpayers.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 05-01-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the Camaro in years 1 to 3 was competing with the Mustang in its years 5 to 8. If a brand new design can't out sell a 5 year old design I'd say something is wrong.

Let's not forget that the soothsayers of doom here on CF have consistently pronounced the Camaro the ugliest car available. They also say it is doomed because it is pathetically low on HP vs the Mustang.

Let's remember that team Rustang has spent the last 3 years continuously updating the look and vastly increasing the HP and the Camaro still comes out ahead. Maybe next gen.

Point is that team Camaro hit the homerun.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodpt
And now I hear they are adding a diesel Chevy Cruze to their lineup - good move to compete with the Volkswagen Passet TDI which is selling well (my cousin bought one).
I saw that too... and it intrigued me.

Originally Posted by BlueOx

yep. Mustang can suck it.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Just to add the list of excellent cars, the Chevrolet Volt. Love mine! Lots of technology, engineering, and thoughts went into the car.
Yup, same here. My Volt makes a nice "little brother" to my C6!

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Let's not forget that the soothsayers of doom here on CF have consistently pronounced the Camaro the ugliest car available. They also say it is doomed because it is pathetically low on HP vs the Mustang.

Let's remember that team Rustang has spent the last 3 years continuously updating the look and vastly increasing the HP and the Camaro still comes out ahead. Maybe next gen.

Well, don't get me wrong here, I'm a Corvette/GM guy thru and thru, "dyed in the blue", as can be seen by the previous post/pic, BUT:

IMHO, the Camaro is an overweight ugly retro wannabe that missed the mark. I prefer my SOs '08 Mustang GT to the new Camaros - not that I'm ever gonna own either one!

If the Mustang is a "Rustang", then the Camaro must be what - a "Canarust"?

PS - full disclosure: I do own a '67 GT FB Mustang - parked in the garage right next to the '67 Stingray. They get along just fine!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Were it not for the sale of Chevy trucks to consumers, and the sale of Chevy cars to government agencies and rental companies at huge discounts, they would be out of business.
Dead on. Also, the resumption of sub-prime auto loans in a big way.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
1. So you have to go all the way back to 2000 to come up with an example of bad "customer service"? So what was the outcome anyway? Was it the battery, or was it some other part of the human made machine that caused the battery to fail?

2. According to todays listings on Autotrader, 2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Keep in mind, the the dealership is not an employee of GM. However, the dealership has to answer to GM upon the Customer Satisfaction Index, this is extremely important to most dealers. But, sure there are going to be some bad apples out there. Then there are those that simply paranoid that the dealer likes to stick it people for fun. While one may run across one of these from time to time, it's just not the norm. There is just too much competition out there for dealers to be giving themselves bad reputations.

Remember, there is bad "customer service", and there is "bad customer" service. Many people seem to like to demand the improbable and the impossible, then become inconsolible when it doesn't happen.
With my brand new 2000 C5 I tested the battery and knew it had a bad cell. Of course they did not believe me what do I know? I do all my own maintenance but did have 2 more encounters with them. Asked them to quote a new clutch....they stated 18 hours according to their book...... I never put in a clutch in a C5 I did it myself in 10 hours. But I did let them paint under the front end..... you know where you need to put a jack on the front cross member?? Yea their jack slipped hit the radiator and shoved it up through the hood. Too bad for them I had all that custom engine bay stuff. Funny car sat for 3 days they never called me......had I not showed up maybe they would never had called.

About the Cadillacs....... I don't know about a V.... I never mentioned a V. I've bought 2 off lease Cadillacs the latest had a 65K sticker and I paid 25K.

All I demand is what I pay for. See I have "good" money. There is not a damn think wrong with my money so I expect the best service possible. Me bad I guess that when a shop wants say $100 an hour that expect the job to be done right and my car not to smell like smoke.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
With my brand new 2000 C5 I tested the battery and knew it had a bad cell. Of course they did not believe me what do I know? I do all my own maintenance but did have 2 more encounters with them. Asked them to quote a new clutch....they stated 18 hours according to their book...... I never put in a clutch in a C5 I did it myself in 10 hours. But I did let them paint under the front end..... you know where you need to put a jack on the front cross member?? Yea their jack slipped hit the radiator and shoved it up through the hood. Too bad for them I had all that custom engine bay stuff. Funny car sat for 3 days they never called me......had I not showed up maybe they would never had called.

About the Cadillacs....... I don't know about a V.... I never mentioned a V. I've bought 2 off lease Cadillacs the latest had a 65K sticker and I paid 25K.

All I demand is what I pay for. See I have "good" money. There is not a damn think wrong with my money so I expect the best service possible. Me bad I guess that when a shop wants say $100 an hour that expect the job to be done right and my car not to smell like smoke.
Hey man, I wasn't trying to be critical of you specifically. Really it sounds to me like the dealership you're talking about may be one of those "bad apples" and I can understand why you would be skeptical.

As far as the V goes, perhaps it was a bad example, maybe their market value is a little better. It was the first model I thought of with a $65 sticker. But you also have to admit that the off lease cars can come in a little below market. Sounds like you got a good deal, though I don't know what model it is. Really depends on market demand which varies.

And darn right you're money is good money, and you deserve top notch service for it. There are actually dealers out there that agree with you. My brother is lead tech at Cadillac dealership. For this reason, he won't let a car out until it's done right. If for example a customer comes in with bad battery, it's not that he doesn't trust the customer or wants to jack up the price, but he wants to make sure that there is not something else wrong in the car causing the battery to drain. So he checks it. Also it's part of the warranty, they have to check the battery and the systems in order to get paid from GM.

The clutch? Well, there is a very specific detailing of the job, it's requirements, and the time. All jobs a rated at this time. Is this right or wrong? Look at it this way, even though we get charged for x amount of hours and it may actually take them less, this doesn't seem all that fair I know. But it goes the other way too. If the tech is slow, or something prevents them from finishing in the book time, you still pay the book time. If there's anything they run across that they need to charge more for, they can't do it w/o your okay.

Most dealers are like any other business. Most of their revenue comes from repeat customers, and the only way to do that is to make happy customers. A good dealership wants to earn your business over the long term, I hope you have found one of those by now.

But I apologize if you took my post as ensinuating you specifically were a "bad customer". I was generalizing in that statement, as I have seen it happen.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 05-02-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, don't get me wrong here, I'm a Corvette/GM guy thru and thru, "dyed in the blue", as can be seen by the previous post/pic, BUT:

IMHO, the Camaro is an overweight ugly retro wannabe that missed the mark. I prefer my SOs '08 Mustang GT to the new Camaros - not that I'm ever gonna own either one!

If the Mustang is a "Rustang", then the Camaro must be what - a "Canarust"?

PS - full disclosure: I do own a '67 GT FB Mustang - parked in the garage right next to the '67 Stingray. They get along just fine!
I prefer to call it either Fatmaro or El Fatso. Because that's all the Gen 5 is to me, a big fat pig.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Hey man, I wasn't trying to be critical of you specifically. Really it sounds to me like the dealership you're talking about may be one of those "bad apples" and I can understand why you would be skeptical.

As far as the V goes, perhaps it was a bad example, maybe their market value is a little better. It was the first model I thought of with a $65 sticker. But you also have to admit that the off lease cars can come in a little below market. Sounds like you got a good deal, though I don't know what model it is. Really depends on market demand which varies.

And darn right you're money is good money, and you deserve top notch service for it. There are actually dealers out there that agree with you. My brother is lead tech at Cadillac dealership. For this reason, he won't let a car out until it's done right. If for example a customer comes in with bad battery, it's not that he doesn't trust the customer or wants to jack up the price, but he wants to make sure that there is not something else wrong in the car causing the battery to drain. So he checks it. Also it's part of the warranty, they have to check the battery and the systems in order to get paid from GM.

The clutch? Well, there is a very specific detailing of the job, it's requirements, and the time. All jobs a rated at this time. Is this right or wrong? Look at it this way, even though we get charged for x amount of hours and it may actually take them less, this doesn't seem all that fair I know. But it goes the other way too. If the tech is slow, or something prevents them from finishing in the book time, you still pay the book time. If there's anything they run across that they need to charge more for, they can't do it w/o your okay.

Most dealers are like any other business. Most of their revenue comes from repeat customers, and the only way to do that is to make happy customers. A good dealership wants to earn your business over the long term, I hope you have found one of those by now.

But I apologize if you took my post as ensinuating you specifically were a "bad customer". I was generalizing in that statement, as I have seen it happen.
Oh no issues here........boy I could give ya some long "woe is me" stories with the 2 Cadillac dealers I have experience with. Botton line 2 chevy dealers and two Cadi dealers I've encountered over the last 10 years......I'm not happy. This is a GM problem. My wife has had (dare I say) cars from the darkside, Lexus, Acura and not a problem at all, very pleasant in fact. An example....... Acura TL 90K miles transmission went out. Went out 10K and 60 months past the cut off. Guess what? They said it was defective and they would and did replace it free. Tell me, ask your brother, would the General do that?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yup, same here. My Volt makes a nice "little brother" to my C6!

As I helped pay for your Volt, a thank you would be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To General Motors

Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City
As I helped pay for your Volt, a thank you would be appreciated.
(big sigh) So many misconceptions about the Volt. It would be nice if you would do a little research before you post up and show how uninformed you really are, rather than just buying into the myths that are out there.

- The Volt concept show car was at the Detroit Auto Show in 2008, so R&D costs were sunk well before that, under the Bush administration and well before the B/K and bailout.

- The tax deduction reduces my taxes, not increases yours. Is there a tax surcharge on your 1040?

- If anybody "helped pay for the Volt" , it is those who, like me, lost $$$ on the old GM stock when they went B/K. I lost over $15k on that deal, so if any body "helped", I subsidized my own car.

OTOH, if you feel compelled to "help", I'll be glad to PM you my PayPal account name..................

Try getting your facts together before you parrot generalizations you have heard somewhere.

If you think this is harsh, I'm actually being nice because you are a one month newb, and so some sloppiness is to be expected on your part.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 05-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well IF Government Motors can start to make products that are not just "good enough", but significantly better than their competition......then maybe the U.S. can sell their stock without losing another 100 billion from the collapse of GM.....GM still has a long way to go before they stop losing market share --- which they've done every year for the past 15.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

(big sigh) So many misconceptions about the Volt. It would be nice if you would do a little research before you post up and show how uninformed you really are, rather than just buying into the myths that are out there.

- The Volt concept show car was at the Detroit Auto Show in 2008, so R&D costs were sunk well before that, under the Bush administration and well before the B/K and bailout.

- The tax deduction reduces my taxes, not increases yours. Is there a tax surcharge on your 1040?

- If anybody "helped pay for the Volt" , it is those who, like me, lost $$$ on the old GM stock when they went B/K. I lost over $15k on that deal, so if any body "helped", I subsidized my own car.

OTOH, if you feel compelled to "help", I'll be glad to PM you my PayPal account name..................

Try getting your facts together before you parrot generalizations you have heard somewhere.

If you think this is harsh, I'm actually being nice because you are a one month newb, and so some sloppiness is to be expected on your part.

Did you fail math? On what planet does you getting a tax break not increase taxes for everyone else? Where did the money come from? Thin air?

I'm happy you got a tax break for your new Volt. Can I get one for a new C7?

No?

Quick Reply: General Motors