Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local Chevy dealer's Service Departments are terrible

Old 12-28-2014, 05:06 PM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Default My local Chevy dealer's Service Departments are terrible

I live in Long Island NY and called 4 dealers in my area. Two different dealers didn't have someone to answer the phone in the service department and didn't return my message.
I had to wait three weeks to have a appointment to get a oil change.
The service department waiting area was terrible (cold, didn't offer coffee or water and dirty little room to sit in).
This is one reason people have bad things to say about American cars, at the Mercedes service department you are treated with respect and have nice place to wait even just for warranty work.
Chevy delaers should have a minimum standard they should have to follow set by GM.
My rant is over.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

There are 3000 dealers, find another one. Mine is great , service and facilities as good as any euro hi end dealer ive been in.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

One thing I check before I place my order is the service dept. That is one of the major items that determine who I will purchase from.
Happy to say Van Bortel Chevrolet in Macedon NY, exceeds all my expectations.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:33 PM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no other options within 15 miles to my home.
I would be better off to change the oil myself.
It is good to read that there is great service departments elsewhere.

Last edited by landsteam; 12-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by landsteam
I live in Long Island NY and called 4 dealers in my area. Two different dealers didn't have someone to answer the phone in the service department and didn't return my message.
The service department waiting area was terrible (cold, didn't offer coffee or water and dirty little room to sit in).
This is one reason people have bad things to say about American cars, at the Mercedes service department you are treated with respect and have nice place to wait even just for warranty work.
Chevy delaers should have a minimum standard they should have to follow set by GM.
My rant is over.
Did they at least have popcorn?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm surprised their waiting room is that bad. All manufacturers "force" showroom/building upgrades on dealers by giving or withholding "marketing dollars" they make available to upgrade to approved layouts.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:19 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

It could be worse the nearest dealer to me is 45 miles away. The good news is on a scale of 1 to 10 he is about a 7 so I can live with that.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Arnold Chev. has a good rep., and before Huntington Chev closed it also had a good rep. Then again, you are living in the greater NYC area which may have some issues along with it. In the five boroughs there are dealers who delay long enough so that some people say they don't do warranty work if you didn't buy the car at that dealer.

Afterthought: you could always ask Chev Cust Svc on here to recommend and work on your behalf to help you get some service.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I'm surprised their waiting room is that bad. All manufacturers "force" showroom/building upgrades on dealers by giving or withholding "marketing dollars" they make available to upgrade to approved layouts.
I did not know that. It must not apply in Canada because most of the GM dealers have crappy little waiting rooms with non-functional coffee machines and televisions that only get one channel.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:51 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Many if not most are terrible...it's a Chevy.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,199 Likes on 13,918 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Both my local dealers have updated facilities and offer refreshments, TV, Wi-Fi, etc. I have no complaints about their service departments.

You should find another place that will provide you the services you desire.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Its not just a NY problem. We have lousy service out here in Az too.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am shocked, I tell you, shocked. What is this world coming to when the owner of a "$70,000 world class supercar" can't find a dealership that provides good service?

Actually...I am not shocked...even in the slightest. Sadly, the same dealership deals mostly with owners of Sonics, Cruzes and Malibus. Your $70,000 supercar is just another work order. It ain't nothing special to them.

Chevy and GM in general, for the most part, know NOTHING about how to provide good customer service...NOTHING. And the they have the gall to make sure and tell me when I leave to expect a phone survey on their "service" and please either give them "all 5's" or just skip the survey. Well screw them...I take the survey and give them all "1's" when they deserve it...which is usually.

Last edited by Rad22; 12-28-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the same issue here in central New Jersey. There is one local dealer who had a capable Corvette tech. They recently changed owners and when I stopped in they told me he was gone. I asked if they had any dedicated techs for Corvettes, they called over a tech and asked "hey ***** you work on Corvettes right"? The guy stated " I hate working on them" right in front of me. Ok...thanks guys. There has to be another tech like Tommy who worked at the old Chevy dealer in Point Pleasant, NJ. If anyone knows a good Vette tech at a Chevy store in NJ please share.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Sky Pilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Its not just a NY problem. We have lousy service out here in Az too.
Add Northern California to the mix.........I have 4 (four) vehicles in my garages. One each from the Big 3 American manufacturers, one from Germany. All still under factory warranty. Dealer service so disappointing I use an independent for service on 2 of the domestics, do my own.......for which Im gettin' too old.......on C6 Z06. The Porsche dealer gets my follow up business as the clean, bright, welcoming service department is a model to emulate.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky Pilot
The Porsche dealer gets my follow up business as the clean, bright, welcoming service department is a model to emulate.
Similar story here. My local Mercedes dealer is just superb and should serve as an example for others to follow. They recently bought a failing "Big 3" dealership next door, bulldozed the entire structure and built a new dealership facility from ground up. It is just amazing overall, but particularly the service department.

* Every car and customer are treated the same, whether it be a finance maven in a brand new SLS, or a school teacher in a 3 year old C300.

* Appointments are readily available and can be made easily online. You can select a previous service advisor at the time of the appointment, choose anyone you like or take random assignment.

* You are given a choice of appointment with or without a loaner.

* The drive-in service lanes are like driving into the showroom itself. Spotlessly clean, heated and air-conditioned, with a greeter ready to direct you to your service advisor.

* The greeter then puts a steering wheel cover on your wheel, disposable fitted seat cover on your seat and disposable floor mat in your car before anyone else touches it. I even saw this done on a filthy 5 year old E-Class.

* You are directed to a very quiet, comfortable waiting area with plush leather chairs, multiple work carrels, a free coffee, soda and well-stocked snack bar, all with WiFi, multiple power outlets (USB and 115V) and printers.

* One of the coolest things is that the back wall of the waiting area is all glass and you can look directly back into the service area, like a race shop.

* It is their policy that if you are waiting, no more than 30 minutes will elapse without your service advisor coming to the waiting area to advise you of their progress and ask if you need anything.

* When your car is done, the service advisor will come sit with you with the papers and explain fully what was done, collect your payment (if needed) and bring you your keys. Your car will be back out in the service lane, ready to go.

They truly make you feel special and their actual service and repair quality matches expectations. I've never been let down.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Bought my car from Kerbecks/South Jersey, live in North Jersey. Just reached 500 miles and need to find a Dealer for my oil changes. This thread dose not make me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

Get notified of new replies

To My local Chevy dealer's Service Departments are terrible

Old 12-29-2014, 05:59 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Are you saying your C7 can't be driven more than 15 miles before recharging ? I'll bet the one I bought my 4 yr old granddaughter for Christmas at Costco will go further ........
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

My rant is over.
Which dealer did you go to?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Probably your best option - it isn't that hard - that is what I chose to do.
In my experience, Atlantic Chevy in Bay Shore is about the best on LI for Corvettes - keep in mind, that is not a ringing endorsement, but compared to Paul Conte, Arnold or East Hills they are a significant step up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My local Chevy dealer's Service Departments are terrible