Sponsored by:

Standard vs Z51 wheels, breaks, just in case you didnt know

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
According to the video with Jim Mero and the Chassis Engineer (forget his name), the Forged wheels are indeed heavier than the cast wheels due to the size difference. However, the forged wheels are lighter than they would have been if they had been cast. The engineer was saying they went forged in order to save weight and in order to give added space for the brake calipers. They had some cross-section views of the wheels in the presentation and the walls sure looked pretty thin. They also had a cool video of how the wheels are formed.

-T
Mike Bailey was the first speaker (after Tadge did a short intro).
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
If you could get MSRC without Z51, I'd agree.
Next year
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Please correct me if I am wrong, The Z51 comes with the "Split Fork" wheels? That is another reason I am tempted to get the package.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Dadman1950
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
I agree with the statement that MOST people do not need the Z-51 Performance Package, and I am one of them. My track days (and I had a few) are long gone, and I want the car to cruise, and enjoy during my retirement years. So I think I will forgo the Z-51 option and just enjoy the cruising and driving option at a substantial savings...
Like you, my track days are also long gone, but IMO there is no question that the Z51 package and manual transmission improves the driving experience not only on the track but on the street as well. I had the Z51 pckg on my 2005 coupe and it was a requirement on the new convertible I picked up on Wednesday.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boil
For me, the following is a minimum on the options list, to ensure full use of the Driver Selector Mode:

2LT Trim Level (for the HUD)
Z51 Performance Package
Magnetic Selective Ride Control (including Performance Traction Management)
Variable Tuned Performance Exhaust

All I would add to that would be the Sat Nav, the black Z51 wheels & (most likely) the Carbon Flash painted side mirrors & spoiler (a 'Z51-required' option)…
I agree. That is where I am currently dreaming \ planning. Puts the car at about $63,000 +/-
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I'm opting out of the Z51 as well, and the biggest reason is weight as some articals on the internet have stated the Z51 package will weigh anywhere from 150-200lbs more

One thing you stated, which surprised me, is that the base Stingray is capable to pull 1G in corners??? can anyone confirm this is true? If so, that's fantastic for a car that doesn't have a rear sway bar
Yes weight is an issue. BUT if you are going to track the car, I guess the benefits outweigh the weight gain. (pun intended) If you are going to drag race, that is another thing all together... Weight is evil in almost all forms but those that make it safer or make more HP. Right?

Quick Reply: Standard vs Z51 wheels, breaks, just in case you didnt know