C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be mad if the next z06 was supercharged?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by buckythreadkiller
are you kidding?

There are people on here who'll be mad if the windshield is made of glass.

#1 Defining Post of the C7 Era!

Last edited by B747VET; 05-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Ideally I want to keep the Z06 N/A but not at the expense of losing hp and reliability.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We know GM could do another large displacement motor with over 500hp The question is will they? The direction of the LT1 shows that GM is taking the upcoming Government regulations quite seriously. Which makes it seem less likely this would be a direction they would take.

Personally I hope we see turbo's on the LT1. The torque of the motor makes the low end torque offered by a roots style supercharger unnecessary. The turbo's could be mounted low in the chassis to help with the center of gravity and would be more efficient. This setup would probably weigh less as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I've owned a Z06 (tracked) and now a CTS-V (soon to be tracked) and while the jury is out all I can say is both cars pull like freight trains. I must say the V with the A6 is a completely different animal the the manual Z that I actually like better.

And on the subj I hope the next Z has an A7 option. Let the games begin.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
We know GM could do another large displacement motor with over 500hp The question is will they? The direction of the LT1 shows that GM is taking the upcoming Government regulations quite seriously. Which makes it seem less likely this would be a direction they would take.

Personally I hope we see turbo's on the LT1. The torque of the motor makes the low end torque offered by a roots style supercharger unnecessary. The turbo's could be mounted low in the chassis to help with the center of gravity and would be more efficient. This setup would probably weigh less as well.
I think this is pretty much it. With BHO pushing down the "green" path, I don't see how GM is going to go with big displacement. If they are going to invest the money to build out the platform, they are going to do it once and something they won't have to redesign.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Maybe, maybe not. They could be using the TTV6 as a model. It seems there is alot of technology put into that motor that could very easily transport into the Corvette's LT1.
Originally Posted by 1analguy
Such as? If the "technology" you're referring to is more cams and valves, then be aware of the weight and bulk that they would add to the engine...possibly eliminating it from use in an already-tight engine bay. Pretty much everything else in the TTV6 is already in the LT1.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/c...-cts-w-videos/

Read the press release section. There really isn't anything that I could see on this V6 that isn't already in the LT1, except of course for two additional cylinders. But the technology I speak of is in the waste gates, throttle body, cooling, packaging etc. They wouldn't have to change the base architecture of the LT1 to do it.

I'm just saying that they're already rolling out tt technology into production DI engines. This may very well be coming to the V8. If it produces more power, more efficiently, in a more compact package, with the same durability and reliability as a roots type supercharger, why would they not do it? But, yes, those are alot of "ifs", I understand that.

It's just with the regulatory conditions being what they are, I speculate that the days of "bigger cubes" are riding off into the sunset. But the only ones that know for sure aren't talking about it.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Maybe they could have the best of both world's a really duel displacement engine. Half the cylinders with the bore of the 6.2 and half with the bore of the 7l motor when it engages AFM it runs on the small bores. Of course there must be a sound engineering reason that every manufacturer uses the same bore for all cylinders.

With limited output, they could do a 7L DI engine with no AFM. Then they could lose some weight and increase the cam size.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Maybe they could have the best of both world's a really duel displacement engine. Half the cylinders with the bore of the 6.2 and half with the bore of the 7l motor when it engages AFM it runs on the small bores. Of course there must be a sound engineering reason that every manufacturer uses the same bore for all cylinders.

With limited output, they could do a 7L DI engine with no AFM. Then they could lose some weight and increase the cam size.
It wouldn't work. The power imbalance between cylinders would have the motor constantly fighting itself.

The problem is even if you just added DI to a 7.0L LTx variant you would likely not be able to make large gains and hit your efficiency targets. GM hasn't revealed what it's goals are. Looking at what other motors gain from DI, adding it to the LS7 would net a motor with about 30 more HP and a couple more miles per gallon. That mileage gain probably wouldn't push the efficiency where it needs to be. AFM could be an answer, but AFM may limit the LS7 cam's aggressiveness and push down power. Which would negate some of the power you just gained with DI (and likely disappoint some of your customers) It would certainly keep you from using the aggressive cams we see being used to push the big numbers we see from NA LSx motors (the LT1 is an LSx variant). Which is why the idea of 600hp NA motor seems so at odds with the direction they went with the LT1. Even with DI, you aren't going to hit 550+hp NA without a fuel efficiency hit over the current LS7. Trying to hit a 575+ target would only be more problematic.

A twin turbo LT1 with a cam designed for FI could have roughly the same efficiency as a normal LT1 when not under boost. So like it or not it makes the most logical sense based on GM's current direction.

Who knows, they may decide to pay any penalties and make an NA monster for us. I don't find it very likely though.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Are you kidding?

There are people on here who'll be mad if the windshield is made of glass.
There will be people mad if it don't have fat tires and fender flares!

Me.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glass for a windshield really make a car look "dated".
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Balance...the rotating mass would be way out of balance with two different size bores. Great concept though.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
Balance...the rotating mass would be way out of balance with two different size bores. Great concept though.
Not all 4 on one side, but more like two V4 with interlaced pistons. I figure there would be some strange combination so the rotating mass would still be in balance. Now it may have terrible NVH or horrible exhaust note.

It would be better to just take the hit to mileage of no AFM and really limit production to limit the EPA impact. Or just have normal AFM on the 7L engine and run it longer in V4 in eco mode. Maybe until you get to 25% throttle. Then it would seem like you are going into warp mode!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
If the z06 doesn't come naturally aspirated, would it effect your buying decision? Same motor, just blown vs a new big motor.
No, won't affect my buying decision. I bought a C6Z06 to go fast, if the C7Z06 is faster, then mission accomplished....

If it's a Forced Inductions, all the better for Mod'ing after the new car feeling wears off a bit. I would prefer it to be Twin Turbo versus Supercharged FWIW.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not all 4 on one side, but more like two V4 with interlaced pistons. I figure there would be some strange combination so the rotating mass would still be in balance. Now it may have terrible NVH or horrible exhaust note.

It would be better to just take the hit to mileage of no AFM and really limit production to limit the EPA impact. Or just have normal AFM on the 7L engine and run it longer in V4 in eco mode. Maybe until you get to 25% throttle. Then it would seem like you are going into warp mode!
For sure!!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN
No, won't affect my buying decision. I bought a C6Z06 to go fast, if the C7Z06 is faster, then mission accomplished....

If it's a Forced Inductions, all the better for Mod'ing after the new car feeling wears off a bit. I would prefer it to be Twin Turbo versus Supercharged FWIW.
I just worry about the road course background a z06 has. Arent superchargers generally a no no for a track car
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyFox
There will be people mad if it don't have fat tires and fender flares!

Me.
Yeah, but you're the kind of person who brings a Viper avatar to a Corvette enthusiast forum, so.....
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
I just worry about the road course background a z06 has. Arent superchargers na no no for a track car
Generally they are, due to Cooling issues and added weight. ZR1's seem to do okay though so I'm not concerned if FI becomes more and more common.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you be mad if the next z06 was supercharged?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Latterlon
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 153 Posts

A Z06 needs to be naturally aspirated, light weight & raw. Similar to a GT3RS. I would hope a C7 Z06 uses lighter materials, thin glass, titanium exhaust, etc. and have a larger displacement version of the LT1. Instant response and a broad power band.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Latterlon
A Z06 needs to be naturally aspirated, light weight & raw. Similar to a GT3RS. I would hope a C7 Z06 uses lighter materials, thin glass, titanium exhaust, etc. and have a larger displacement version of the LT1. Instant response and a broad power band.
I agree but what would she cost?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I wouldn't. If it's making more than the LSA(580hp) I doubt anyone else will either. Or maybe they'll still complain about it making less than the GT500 like the idiots from 4-5 months ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you be mad if the next z06 was supercharged?