Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know C7 ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

That picture is ludicrous...no one would buy that house...if they did they'd be a moron. Nothing shy of a 4x4 pickup truck could potentially get in there without scraping *** all over the place. Especially being the majority of drivers just back straight out and go straight in scraping their stuff all over the place as is...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I doubt I the ground clearance will be any different than the C6. To high a clearance and the Cd goes up and too low, it won't clear speed bump etc.

The C6 is 5" and the Z06/GS has 4.6" ground clearance. The chin spoiler, which is slightly flexible, is at 4.5" on my 09 Z06. The air dam, which is mighty flexible has about 2.75" clearance.

The base C6, nor the base C7, has the chin spoiler like the Z06/GS so that should not be a major problem.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That is the most incredible act of stupidity I've ever seen regarding a garage. I'll bet most SUV's can't do that without extreme caution if at all. Looks like it's a new unsold construction that will probably remain that way... unsold.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ed1
That drive driveway would be enough to make me find another subdivision to live in!
Wow! House has to be substantially reduced $.

Hope that's a warm weather city.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robvuk
That is the most incredible act of stupidity I've ever seen regarding a garage. I'll bet most SUV's can't do that without extreme caution if at all. Looks like it's a new unsold construction that will probably remain that way... unsold.
That house should be torn down. Can you imagine an elderly visitor to that home, parking on that drive and then trying to get out of their car and walking up to the front door, but falling and rolling into the street. How about kids on their big wheels. Hell, they could hit 60 MPH by the time they got to the street, riding their bike down that driveway. I doubt if a riding mower could run parallel to the street without rolling over.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a rough estimation between a C6 and the C7, based on scaling wheelbases. Note that the perspectives are slightly different. The C6 is straight-on, while the C7 may have some wide-angle effect. But referencing the plane closest to the viewer (wheelbase and side edge) may give an approximation.

We can use this image of the C7 and C6 ZR1, taken from the basically the same perspective:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-s...photo-5862197/

Scale them again to known wheelbase dimensions, and it looks like this:

Road &Track lists the C6 at 5.8" of ground clearance, with the ZR1 at 4.5". Looks like the C7 will be somewhere in between and, as mentioned, the longer wheelbase might make it worse for clearing a hump than a standard C6.

Last resort:
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Guibo
Here's a rough estimation between a C6 and the C7, based on scaling wheelbases. Note that the perspectives are slightly different. The C6 is straight-on, while the C7 may have some wide-angle effect. But referencing the plane closest to the viewer (wheelbase and side edge) may give an approximation.

We can use this image of the C7 and C6 ZR1, taken from the basically the same perspective:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-s...photo-5862197/

Scale them again to known wheelbase dimensions, and it looks like this:

Road &Track lists the C6 at 5.8" of ground clearance, with the ZR1 at 4.5". Looks like the C7 will be somewhere in between and, as mentioned, the longer wheelbase might make it worse for clearing a hump than a standard C6.

Last resort:
Your scaling is off as the C7 is 177" long, the C6 ZR1(as you show) is 176.2" long, the Z06 is 175" long and the base C6 is 174.6" long. Your scaling shows the ZR1 as being much longer than the C7 whereas in real life the ZR1 is shorter than the C7 by .8". You also so the ZR1 s being much higher than the C7. The ZR1 is 48.7" tall whereas the C7 is 48.6" tall. As far as your scaling, that .100" should not be noticeable.

Also, the GS/Z06/ZR1 sits .4" lower than the base C6, no matter what you read at R&T.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Your scaling is off as the C7 is 177" long, the C6 ZR1(as you show) is 176.2" long, the Z06 is 175" long and the base C6 is 174.6" long. Your scaling shows the ZR1 as being much longer than the C7 whereas in real life the ZR1 is shorter than the C7 by .8". You also so the ZR1 s being much higher than the C7. The ZR1 is 48.7" tall whereas the C7 is 48.6" tall. As far as your scaling, that .100" should not be noticeable.
How did you measure this, Joe?
Regardless, the differences in their top heights is much smaller than the differences in their ground clearances, and that was entirely the point. In any case, for a more accurate representation, look at the wheelbases and ground clearance in the center. Not the outer dimensions.

Last edited by Guibo; 05-23-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Guibo
How did you measure this, Joe?
Regardless, the differences in their top heights is much smaller than the differences in their ground clearances, and that was entirely the point. In any case, for a more accurate representation, look at the wheelbases and ground clearance in the center. Not the outer dimensions.
My bad on the ZR1. I didn't look that closely at the blue outline and assumed it was the outline of the ZR1 you showed in the second photo. After looking closer, I see that you used a base c6 for your blue outline as the side front fender vents are those of a base C6.

That makes your scaling even further off as the base C6 is shorter than the base C7 by 2 inches. Your scaling clearly shows the blue outline C6 being longer and taller than the C7 in red, which is incorrect. You made your original error by using the wheel base as the point to scale the two cars. You can't do that as the C7's wheel base is longer than the C6's and when you enlarged the image of the C6 so it's wheelbase matched the wheelbase of the C7, you ended up with a taller and longer C6 vs the C7.

I know what the ground clearance is on a C6 Z06 because I have one in my garage to measure and I know what GM says is the height of the the base C6(49.1") and the GS/Z06/ZR1(48.7"). If you reduce the overall size of the blue outline to the true size(height and length and wheelbase) as compared to the C7 and then position the blue overlay so that the top of the blue outline is .5" higher than the red outline then you will have a true representation of the ground clearance of the C7 vs the C6.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I know what the ground clearance is on a C6 Z06 because I have one in my garage to measure and I know what GM says is the height of the the base C6(49.1") and the GS/Z06/ZR1(48.7").
Unfortunately, I think we know only what the ground clearance is on your car.
When I was trying to figure out where to set our own (base) C6, I went around measuring other base cars that had not been adjusted or modified. I measured tread depth, and also calculated any change based on fuel level. Even after all of that, I found a difference of over an inch between cars that should have been identical.

Maybe the C7 will be more consistant. Maybe.
Hopefully, people will be able to adjust the C7 just like the C5 and C6.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

My bad on the ZR1. I didn't look that closely at the blue outline and assumed it was the outline of the ZR1 you showed in the second photo. After looking closer, I see that you used a base c6 for your blue outline as the side front fender vents are those of a base C6.

That makes your scaling even further off as the base C6 is shorter than the base C7 by 2 inches. Your scaling clearly shows the blue outline C6 being longer and taller than the C7 in red, which is incorrect. You made your original error by using the wheel base as the point to scale the two cars. You can't do that as the C7's wheel base is longer than the C6's and when you enlarged the image of the C6 so it's wheelbase matched the wheelbase of the C7, you ended up with a taller and longer C6 vs the C7.

I know what the ground clearance is on a C6 Z06 because I have one in my garage to measure and I know what GM says is the height of the the base C6(49.1") and the GS/Z06/ZR1(48.7"). If you reduce the overall size of the blue outline to the true size(height and length and wheelbase) as compared to the C7 and then position the blue overlay so that the top of the blue outline is .5" higher than the red outline then you will have a true representation of the ground clearance of the C7 vs the C6.
Joe, what part of the disclaimer in my original post about perspective did you not understand? I said specifically to look only at the wheelbase, and the side edge which is roughly coplanar enough for our purposes.
False. Look at it again, and you will see the C7 wheelbase is longer. The front axle points are lined up; the C7's rear axle point is clearly slightly longer. Not shorter.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That is a really poorly planned driveway, but not quite as bad as this:
That's got to be a photoshop..
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

If you reduce the overall size of the blue outline to the true size(height and length and wheelbase) as compared to the C7 and then position the blue overlay so that the top of the blue outline is .5" higher than the red outline then you will have a true representation of the ground clearance of the C7 vs the C6.
I'm doing just that in this picture, both car lined up at the front axle (red star is the intersection of the C6 wheelnuts to opposing midpoints):

But notice now the differences in wheelbases. There should only be 1" difference between them, but the picture now clearly shows much more than 1". It's about the same as the Corvette's wheel bolt pattern (4.75"). That doesn't make sense. Nor does your recommendation.

The problem with your statement is that you ignored my precaution about perspective. You assumed the height, length, and wheelbase are proportionally equal between both images. They are not. A fisheye lens, for example, can show the same wheelbase, but the front and rear overhangs would be largely chopped off using a straight vertical reference, compared to a telephoto perspective.
Nevertheless, that doesn't change the ride height much: The C7's still looks lower.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I think it was taken with a tilt-shift lens.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Amazingly, no it probably isn't. Here are other fine examples from around the web:

And from our very own CorvetteForum, here's the fix!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

GOOD GOD!! some of these driveway pics are unbelievable!!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I've heard of moving a house, but lowering one is new to me...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know C7 ground clearance?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all those elevated garage photos, you'd think they would have just dug out the hill and put the garage under the house. Plus you could add more floor area to the house instead of a garage.

This is what they did in our area to one house and in solid rock. The garage is build into solid rock,, looks awsome.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:52 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
In all those elevated garage photos, you'd think they would have just dug out the hill and put the garage under the house. Plus you could add more floor area to the house instead of a garage.

This is what they did in our area to one house and in solid rock. The garage is build into solid rock,, looks awsome.
At least they shouldn't have any drainage problems...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whose the building inspector?

Quick Reply: Anyone know C7 ground clearance?