Sponsored by:

C7 pics at the Texas Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C7 pics at the Texas Motor Speedway

I got my first look at a C7 today. It was at a Corvette show held at the Texas Motor Speedway.

The car brought was a dark green color. Not what I would choose for a Corvette but it was a nice color of green. It was a color that really drew no attention to the car. Everyone wanted to get a look at it, but after a while it got a little lost in the crowd. There was a ton of highly modified and customized Vettes there that drew attention in every way from custom paint jobs to 700 plus horse power engines all over the place. And the green C7 just didn't. You had to see it, but after seeing it then it was no big deal.

You could kind of sense the feelings from the crowd was a bit mixed over the new C7 too. In a way you could clearly see that it had the same look and feel one would expect from a Corvette. It was a new look but most of the styling cues were in place. At least if you stayed forward of the rear wheels. It was sleek but modest. The car to me clearly said it was the base model. It was the model that you let your wife drive to the store. It had a classy look to it, but nothing that screamed out performance. Not in this color anyway. It was a little like looking at the first C6 for the first time. It was a lot of what you expect.

Cars around it like the new anniversary convertibles with the 427, white with the silver stripes, and big meaty rear tires just looked mean. Likewise for the ZO6's, GS and ZR-1's. Those cars looked like they were track cars. Especially some of the highly modified ones making big horsepower numbers. They are testosterone oozing cars. The C7 just wasn't. Maybe there will be a Z-Ray version or something like a ZO6 with some wider or flared fenders to conceal some big beefy wheels and tires and a lot more under the hood muscle. It looks like a great platform to be made into the next best ever. The base model though was just a long way from having that look.

My take on the styling is that from the front or front corner the car has great lines. I am not sure what to think of the two faceted wedges on the lower front edge. They seemed a little out of place. If those were gone it would have a much cleaner look.

The hood looks great. The way the venting looks and the fact that it is form meets function is a plus for me. I hate fake looking hood scopes or odd placed fake vents.

The side view of the car looks really good. The aggressive angle of the side venting behind the front wheels really puts the car in motion even sitting still. The little Stingray fish on the side though looks like a wart. Most people have no idea what it really is. It's one of those things you have to stop and explain to some people. The name fits the car. The Stingray name is almost more associated with the car than the fish. It's like when someone says they just saw a Mustang. You think of the car not a horse. The same goes for the Stingray. It is a powerful name that alludes to imagery of a laser gun or something. A toothless fish just doesn't have that same imagery. So why tie the two together?

The curvature of the side panels and door looked great. So did the small rear window and back glass shape. All new styling cues that worked really well for the car. And when the doors were opened up one could get a slight look at the new interior. It did look really good and in this case almost looked like it might be a swede leather but I couldn't tell for sure. They didn't want anyone getting too close to it.

Then there was the rear spoiler. It looked like it just didn't fit the car and in more ways than one. It had no smooth look to it. It was just a wedge that stuck up like an after thought. and it didn't follow the body lines of the back of the car. As the side areas dropped down the spoiler didn't. It left a gap between the spoiler and the rear of the car. It wasn't a large gap that would have suggested that it was suppose to be that way. It was a small gap that looked more like the body panels just didn't line up or fit properly.

Then there's the rear end. I think enough has already been said about the rear end. I'll try not to beat that horse anymore. I was hoping seeing it in person might shed new light on it. Maybe it would not be as bad as in all the pictures... No, it's as bad as all the pictures. Sorry, but the rear end just doesn't work for me. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the car. I hope they redesign that thing before it goes into production.

Anyway, those were my thoughts on seeing it in person. I'm sure others will have different views. I hope you guys like the pictures anyway.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
.....Anyway, those were my thoughts on seeing it in person. I'm sure others will have different views. I hope you guys like the pictures anyway.....
An honest opinion expressed in an adult fashion, as you did, is all anyone can ask for. Thank you for expressing yours. Thanks also for the pictures.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
the383dowell
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures. I have been waiting to see the green color. I had a 2001 DBGM with tan interior and loved it. Had regrets the day after I sold it. Have been waiting for them to bring back a green color ever since. Make this color a Z51 w/3LT and black wheels dark tinted glass and either brownstone or kalahari and I am back in the Corvette family.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for posting the pictures and your thoughts on the new car. All of the different angles were helpful for getting a better feel for the color.

I like this color combination and thought seriously about ordering my car in these colors. I have since decided to go with arctic white and adrenaline red.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's perfection until you see it from the back.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Production starts in what 2 months or less? It's wishful thinking on your part that they will change it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Surprising (to me anyway) good looking in green. It's darker than I thought. I think darker colors work better because you see less blacked out areas. It flows visually better and you get a better sense of the overall shape.

Those Chrome wheels though... gotta go! Bling-a-riffic.

I like the rear spoiler. But one thing bothers me... it looks much better with the targa top on than off. Kinda 80's looking. The pictures where you can't see the top missing look better to me.

I like the front louvers in body color. Looks more modern and integrated.

I could lose the stingray emblem on the side. Looks stuck on.

Last edited by Sin City; 05-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTex1964Vert
It's perfection until you see it from the back.
Conversely, I think the back incorporates the most exciting changes. But that is why we (thankfully) have so many choices on so many products in this country.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Conversely, I think the back incorporates the most exciting changes. But that is why we (thankfully) have so many choices on so many products in this country.
Yah I kinda agree. The hood and the rear are the two most interesting parts.

The tailpipe sizes sort of ruins it though. Overkill.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

If I'm not mistaken (from some info in other threads), that car is a Z51-equipped model with the 3LT brownstone interior...not exactly the base model.

But, OP, kudos to you for the excellent review and pictures !
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 PM
CCDawg69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pictures …… love the car!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I saw the Vette today as well. Wish we could have got closer and seen the inside. I really like it but a C6 is fine with me. The only thing is the car needs to be at dealers now. This should have been the 60th Anv model.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Conversely, I think the back incorporates the most exciting changes.
It definitely incorporates the most changes. And if by exciting you mean it is about to stand up into a transformer monster then I agree. It just doesn't look right to me though. It doesn't say Corvette. Camaro sure, but not Corvette.

And that green really did look good. Better than in the pictures. It was really dark until the light hit it and then it really popped. Great color. It just wouldn't be my choice.

And I thought it did look good with the targa top off. I am not a big fan of the body color coming up over the edge of the targa top. It looks like a pair of overalls are on the car. Especially in the light colors. It would look much better with an all black top.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
If I'm not mistaken (from some info in other threads), that car is a Z51-equipped model with the 3LT brownstone interior...not exactly the base model.

But, OP, kudos to you for the excellent review and pictures !
Yup, Z51. Wheels and slots in the rotors give it away.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Great honest in-depth review. Thanks for spending the time to post it. I still love the car and cant wait to take delivery, but I appreciate your insights.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Yup, Z51. Wheels and slots in the rotors give it away.

and the rear spoiler, too...correct ?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Yepper.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 pics at the Texas Motor Speedway

Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I spoke to Dave he is the plant manager who was on site with the car. I thought he said this is a production car that GM will keep in its fleet for about a year. I was told they will start true production sometime late next month. The car’s interior looked very nice I was able to see it close up ( long story). I am not a big green fan and I don’t feel the color did the lines any justice. I am one that likes the back at an angle but when looking at it strait on I feel it makes the rear look to boxy/square. I think if you lowered the car and added a wider tire that might change the look and solve the problem. The front and side are spot on.. My biggest compliant and one reason I left the brand has been the poor interior. C7 IMO The steering wheel is small in diameter and has a nice thickness, only complaint it had to many buttons. The shifter was short and fit the cabin well. The base seats have a sporty look even though I would opt for the upgraded sports seats. Finally the cheap flimsy side mounted back seat tilt mechanism has been replaced with a solid version. The backs of the seats no longer have the additional tilt feature behind the head rest, so to tilt the seat you must use the side mechanism to get to the trunk. The interior looked very nice and German like but until I get behind the wheel and test drive the car I cant make my final conclusions. If it drives like I hope I will have one this time next year…

Last edited by fasttoys; 05-18-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
You had to see it, but after seeing it then it was no big deal.

You could kind of sense the feelings from the crowd was a bit mixed over the new C7 too.
Hmmm...interesting (or should I say surprising)

Originally Posted by Sin City
Yah I kinda agree. The hood and the rear are the two most interesting parts.

The tailpipe sizes sort of ruins it though. Overkill.
While I'm not feelin' the color or the rear, I think the pipes are fine. What do you see as overkill?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Is that the new ride of the green lantern? Wow.....

Quick Reply: C7 pics at the Texas Motor Speedway