Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
The number of people that don't like the C7 are in the vast minority, but unfortunately are among the most vocal.....
Sounds like the Tea Party

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Are you also aware that many C6 owners were also owners of C5's and C4's and C3's etc. Some of us have actually owned C2's and C1's. We have supported the Corvette by buying it over the years.

Why are so many C7 lovers not C6 owners? Why haven't they supported the Corvette by buying a C6? The C6 has been for sale for the past nine years. That's nine years for them to have stepped up to the plate and to have purchased a C6. Maybe if the non C6 owner had supported the Corvette by purchasing the C6 during the past nine years, the Corvette's sales wouldn't be a third of past Corvette sales.

Do the current C6 owners not have the right to have an opinion on the car they have supported for years with their wallet? Why is that you seem to think that those that show up at the party late, should only be the one's that can have an opinion, and those that have been actively participating in the Corvette lifestyle for quite awhile should sit down and shut up?
It isn't about "supporting" a car IMO. Many of the new C7 lovers who didn't "support" the brand before didn't love the C6 for various reasons (mine was the interior). What exactly is wrong with that? You buy what you like at the time you are making your purchase decision.

Having "supported" a car brand doesn't mean much in today's world... many car enthusiasts move between brands based on the car of the day and love and appreciate all cars in general. They are seeking an ownership experience that appeals to them at the time. They are looking for a car that speaks to them in some way. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Can someone only be part of the club if they have been a Corvette owner of a previous generation? Is their enthusiasm for the C7 less relevant because they didn't have that same level of enthusiasm for an older generation?

Everyone should have an opinion... should I say everyone DOES have an opinion... and that's OK. Lots and lots of those who come from C6, C5, C4 backgrounds love the C7 based on what we see here (again, look at the non scientific polls which show, at a high level, overwhelming support even amongst traditional Corvette supports). Some people don't love the C7 too. I have said this many times before, it isn't having an opinion that is the problem it is that some people (not all for sure) won't allow discussions without turning them into a bash session (yes, that goes both ways). It feels to me like a last ditch effort by a few people to hold on to what WAS because what IS doesn't suit their personal preference. That's OK for sure (and the disappointment is understandable) but, at some point, those folks need to accept it or move on because the Corvette world isn't staying still for them whether it is liked by everyone or not.

So no one is asking the group of faithful, long time Corvette supporters who don't like the car to sit down and shut up but it would be nice for the group who really like the car to be able to discuss that without all of the negativity all of the time. That is exactly why threads get shut down... repetitive complaints about the same issue by the same people (a.k.a Torch2013C6 and a few others). It isn't censorship (well, maybe a bit but that is the right of the mods to do so) it is preventing dead horses from being beaten to a bloody pulp over and over and over by the same relatively small group when it adds no real value to the C7 forum... that is, it has been discussed already ad nauseam.

Also, I do believe there is a bit of pot stirring for the sake of having "online fun" by some on both sides of the debate

Last edited by gthal; 05-19-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
It isn't about "supporting" a car IMO. Many of the new C7 lovers who didn't "support" the brand before didn't love the C6 for various reasons (mine was the interior). What exactly is wrong with that? You buy what you like at the time you are making your purchase decision.

Having "supported" a car brand doesn't mean much in today's world... many car enthusiasts move between brands based on the car of the day and love and appreciate all cars in general. They are seeking an ownership experience that appeals to them at the time. They are looking for a car that speaks to them in some way. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Can someone only be part of the club if they have been a Corvette owner of a previous generation? Is their enthusiasm for the C7 less relevant because they didn't have that same level of enthusiasm for an older generation?

Everyone should have an opinion... should I say everyone DOES have an opinion... and that's OK. Lots and lots of those who come from C6, C5, C4 backgrounds love the C7 based on what we see here (again, look at the non scientific polls which show, at a high level, overwhelming support even amongst traditional Corvette supports). Some people don't love the C7 too. I have said this many times before, it isn't having an opinion that is the problem it is that some people (not all for sure) won't allow discussions without turning them into a bash session (yes, that goes both ways). It feels to me like a last ditch effort by a few people to hold on to what WAS because what IS doesn't suit their personal preference. That's OK for sure (and the disappointment is understandable) but, at some point, those folks need to accept it or move on because the Corvette world isn't staying still for them whether it is liked by everyone or not.

So no one is asking the group of faithful, long time Corvette supporters who don't like the car to sit down and shut up but it would be nice for the group who really like the car to be able to discuss that without all of the negativity all of the time. That is exactly why threads get shut down... repetitive complaints about the same issue by the same people (a.k.a Torch2013C6 and a few others). It isn't censorship (well, maybe a bit but that is the right of the mods to do so) it is preventing dead horses from being beaten to a bloody pulp over and over and over by the same relatively small group when it adds no real value to the C7 forum... that is, it has been discussed already ad nauseam.

Also, I do believe there is a bit of pot stirring for the sake of having "online fun" by some on both sides of the debate
Every company knows the importance of brand loyalty. They know that it costs more to get a customer back once they lose them. GM, Ford and Chrysler wouldn't be playing catch up today if they had retained their base customers from yesterday.

I didn't like the 2005 C6 when it was initially released. I didn't care for the styling so I kept my C5. But, GM "restyled" the C6 for 2006 and called it a Z06. Then the C6 appealed to me and I paid top dollar(compared to the cost of the base C6) to buy a Z06. Even though GM retained the base C6 styling over the C6's life, they did restyle the C6. The success of the GS and the 427 Convertible supports my belief that if GM had not "restyled" the C6, the C7 would have never appeared.

GM could have offered the Z06 without "restyling" it. I most likely would not have purchased a Z06 if it was a base C6 with a big motor, etc.

Don't you believe for a second that GM won't "restyle" the C7 if sales don't support the car.

There are many examples of cars that were released with controversial styling and the manufacturer "restyled" the car to get it's sales back up to where they had been. Styling is not automatically locked in for the entire lifespan of a particular model.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-19-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Gthal, it gets old hearing the poor C6 guys cant afford the C7. It's a 55-65k car....almost anyone can afford it! Hell I've had trucks that cost more. Some on here want you to believe this is some rare high $$$ car no one can afford, Please! It's a Corvette...not a Posche or Ferrari! I guess not "being able to afford a C7" is the best some can come up with to justify some of the poor design features on a car they are salivating to purchase!

Last edited by sam90lx; 05-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gthal
I'm not surprised myself and I think the numbers (as a percentage) are relatively low. Whenever there is real change in anything there will be "fallout" so to speak. Change is hard. Change is controversial. Change, however, is needed.

So, if 15%+/- of current Corvette owners don't like the car (based on our unscientific polls here), that is, to me, expected given the evolution and change that has happened. Some of those people will change their minds over time and some won't. IMO, moving the car ahead and attracting new owners was important and I think that was accomplished. Expand interest in the car beyond the traditional customer base while keeping 85-90% of the existing customer base happy and excited. Again, IMO, that is a win for GM given the change they introduced. Those that don't like the changes will argue vehemently that it is a failure and, for them, that is absolutely true.

Let's wait a couple of years and see what the discussions are like here
Very true. I feel this is a car one has to sit in, get acclimated to and, drive. That is the reason I didn't go to TMS this weekend. I don't want to simply look at it. I can do that on any given weekend in a few months once they hit the dealers lots. I want to be able to sit in it ! Play touchy feely with the interior ............ Drive it !
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Default hopin'

Originally Posted by Shawn Brumley
Ok, I may offend some people here. The C7 looks awful. I have seen it in person for the past few days at the Lone Star Corvette Classic. I bet the price for used C6's goes way up.
You are right. When we get our C7 convertibl order is accepted for production we will have a sweet low miles C6 for sale.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

The C6 prices will go way up around 2044 or 2045... Guaranteed.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Bill17601
The C6 prices will go way up around 2044 or 2045... Guaranteed.
Just in time for my 100th
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you also aware that many C6 owners were also owners of C5's and C4's and C3's etc. Some of us have actually owned C2's and C1's. We have supported the Corvette by buying it over the years.

Why are so many C7 lovers not C6 owners? Why haven't they supported the Corvette by buying a C6? The C6 has been for sale for the past nine years. That's nine years for them to have stepped up to the plate and to have purchased a C6. Maybe if the non C6 owner had supported the Corvette by purchasing the C6 during the past nine years, the Corvette's sales wouldn't be a third of past Corvette sales.

Do the current C6 owners not have the right to have an opinion on the car they have supported for years with their wallet? Why is that you seem to think that those that show up at the party late, should only be the one's that can have an opinion, and those that have been actively participating in the Corvette lifestyle for quite awhile should sit down and shut up?
Heh, I thought you might reply to that post. I'm not saying who should or shouldn't have an opinion. I'm merely making an observation.

I'm also not hating on the C6 or its owners. I love what I know about and have experienced with the C6, even if I don't own one, but it's still notable to me where much of the negative feedback is coming from. A lot of the people who DO like the C7 also currently own a C6 or some previous gen Corvette as well, or they have before. So I know it's not a universal truth that C6 owners don't like the C7, and I know we shouldn't just dismiss all C6 owners' opinions (negative or positive).

Whether it's because current Vette owners have just fallen in love with their current car and don't believe it can be topped easily, or whether it's because they are in denial is another debate. But it's just something I've noticed and that I think makes it worth taking some of their criticisms with a grain of salt. Hell, it's not even something I claim to be free from myself. As a current gen IS owner, I don't doubt that my having an IS350 for so long me a bit more critical of the 3IS.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 05-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Every company knows the importance of brand loyalty. They know that it costs more to get a customer back once they lose them. GM, Ford and Chrysler wouldn't be playing catch up today if they had retained their base customers from yesterday.

There are many examples of cars that were released with controversial styling and the manufacturer "restyled" the car to get it's sales back up to where they had been. Styling is not automatically locked in for the entire lifespan of a particular model.
I agree with both of these statements. The issue is that you are presuming that the C7 won't be a success because of your personal feelings towards it. I don't believe that GM did anything to hurt brand loyalty for the Corvette other than a few who can't get past certain changes in the styling. Most C6 owners love the new style and I believe (although I could be wrong) that it is demonstrated on this forum. Also, those loyal to the brand today aren't enough to keep Corvette going into the future. You NEED to restyle and bring in other folks who will be "loyal to the brand" and that won't happen without forward progression. The current generation of loyal Corvette fans are aging and won't carry the car into the future... GM absolutely NEEDS a new generation of fans and that means making changes.

Likewise, I absolutely agree that there will be a mid cycle refresh on styling as this is common across all brands. However, look at the C6... it was a wide body restyle and not a complete departure. So, yes, they will do something like this for the C7 but, IMO, it won't be a complete restyling of the car but a freshening... maybe a wide body... tweaks here and there.

Don't forget, the C6 was a sales success and they still did the restyle... why? To keep it fresh over a long generation.

Last edited by gthal; 05-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm really surprised by the number of people who don't like the look of this car. I wonder how those opinions will change over the next several years.
GM can still make one fatal mistake. If they don't refresh the styling every year or two they stand the risk of making the design sit too long in the tooth. They did it with the C6. They could do it again.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I sure hope you are right that my C6 goes up in value. So it will make moving to the C7 that much easier. I'm not counting on it.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Brumley
Ok, I may offend some people here. The C7 looks awful. I have seen it in person for the past few days at the Lone Star Corvette Classic. I bet the price for used C6's goes way up.
Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm probably not making a unique observation here, but it seems to be the case that 98% of the time anyone posts strong negative sentiments about the C7, they are currently C6 owners. Coincidence?

Also, I'll take your bet, Shawn. What are we wagering?
Yes and yes. I'll gladly take Shawn's bet, and I'd like to make a wager for the cost of my new C7. If, in 12 months time, the price index on used C6's has gone up, I'll buy him a c7. If not, he can reimburse me for mine.

And yes, the majority of '**** and vinegar' on this forum seems to come from people with a c6 in their avatar - especially newer C6's. It's not hard to understand the sour grapes from those folks.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Just in time for my 100th
1944-2014... I wonder if the new Stingray is part of a milestone gift to me from me? Oh yeah.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
Yes and yes. I'll gladly take Shawn's bet, and I'd like to make a wager for the cost of my new C7. If, in 12 months time, the price index on used C6's has gone up, I'll buy him a c7. If not, he can reimburse me for mine.

And yes, the majority of '**** and vinegar' on this forum seems to come from people with a c6 in their avatar - especially newer C6's. It's not hard to understand the sour grapes from those folks.
And yet another Johnny come lately!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Bill17601
1944-2014... I wonder if the new Stingray is part of a milestone gift to me from me? Oh yeah.
The convertible will be my 70th b-day present to myself.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
GM can still make one fatal mistake. If they don't refresh the styling every year or two they stand the risk of making the design sit too long in the tooth. They did it with the C6. They could do it again.
Not to derail the thread, but how does losing Corvette engine manufacturing effect the GM engine plant in St. Catharines, Ontario, if at all?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 at Lone Star Corvette Classic

Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I want in on the bet as well. I wager the price of a new z51 package corvette. C6s will not increase in price. There are more lovers than haters of the new corvette.

Just like the issue with the flip headlights, we will see more and more acceptance from the haters as time moves on.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

I saw the same car you did Shawn -- Make me an offer on my '08 Atomic Orange with 35K

I'm not wild about the color combination shown at the Classic, but the C7 is a great looking car.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I want in on the bet as well. I wager the price of a new z51 package corvette. C6s will not increase in price. There are more lovers than haters of the new corvette.

Just like the issue with the flip headlights, we will see more and more acceptance from the haters as time moves on.
I don't believe anyone really expects the C6 to go up in value. That defies logic. There are way too many unsold 2013 C6's on the dealer's lots for that to happen. As those unsold C6's start to disappear from the dealer's lots, I suspect the C6's used car value to become stable just as the C5's value did after the C6 became commonplace.

The extreme discounting of the left over 2014 C6's is hurting the older used C6's values more than the new C7 is. Once that discounting is over, used C6 prices will stabilize and the C6 will hold it's value just as the C5 did.

Quick Reply: C7 at Lone Star Corvette Classic