C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why didn't GM increase the bore spacing on the GEN V Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Would be considered sports car blasphemy to change the small block bore centers.

Kind of like why Porsche artificially holds down the Cayman in power so it doesn't unseat the 911 which has an inferior drivetrain layout.

Atho, the latter should happen IMO, but not the former.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I am biting the bullet and buying the 450 HP C7. I have learned to suffer from years of driving low horsepower 435 / 427's, and 375 HP mechanical fuel injected small blocks, those who want more will get it when the demand slows.
It is just a matter of learning to accept the things we can not change..
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I am biting the bullet and buying the 450 HP C7. I have learned to suffer from years of driving low horsepower 435 / 427's, and 375 HP mechanical fuel injected small blocks, those who want more will get it when the demand slows.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Suaveat69
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told because of "tradition".
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMB
It seems strange that if GM spend $1,000,000,000+ developing the LT1 that they wouldn't have increased the bore spacing slightly to accomodate a larger displacement motor on the same architecture base (since it really wouldn't cost anymore). Yes, I understand the push for fuel economy, emissions, etc, however, for an all out performance N/A motor it seems this would be easily accomplished via more cubic inches and the fact that this larger displacement derivative motor could find it's home in Trucks, SUV's, Motor homes, large industrial trucks, etc. since forced induction motors typically get less economy.
Why would they.

Optimum size, weight and packaging. Don't mess with a good thing.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Starting with the 265, then 283, then 327, and all the way to today's LT1, the 4.4 is the longest running engine family in automotive history.

They don't change it because it is a winner ... a bit of automotive genius if you will.

As many on here know, the 4.4 "small block" is actually NOT a small block. The term "small block" is simply a GM in-house nickname ... an unfortunate choice ... that just sprang up internally after the bigger blocks like the 454 and maybe the 409 (?) were born. They could just as easily have nicknamed it the "power house" or the "super block" or perhaps more wisely, they should just call it what it is, the "4.4" ...

Unfortunately, machismo and ego being what they are, nobody wants a small block, "Mongo want BIG BLOCK!"

Think of "small block" as an affectionate nickname for one of the greatest engine designs in automotive history. Just remember it ain't small.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by B747VET
Just remember it ain't small.
Compared to the rat, the mouse motor most certainly is small. But who cares?

jas
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JMB
You have a clean sheet of paper...what's a few million dollars when you're talking a billion!

Those machines aren't going to last forever and you'll have to replace them sooner or later, just bite the bullet now on Obama's nickel!

Joe, let's get serious.....hundred's of millions of dollars to accomodate less than a 1/2" longer block (adding 0.100" to the bore spacing times 4 cylinders) and maybe 1/4" in width.

And hey, I am so tired of dicussions about tail lights and why the LT1 isn't rated more than 450HP that I thought we could use a new topic to debate
JoeC5: "...Increasing the bore spacing would have increased the weight of the engine as the engine would be longer and GM would have had to spent tons of money to purchase new transfer machining lines. A longer engine will also not fit into the box that a smaller engine fits into. That means much of the product line would have to have an enlarged engine compartment to fit the larger engine, thus more hundreds of millions of dollars wasted. "

And, WADR, therein lies your problem, OP. You think it's the President's money when, in fact, it's everyone else's money---yours, mine, every GM worker, and every non-GM worker.

You also don't seem to give serious consideration to JoeC5's points above. Because it really ISN'T all about the money. But money does count---especially when it's not yours, or just yours to the tune of 1/311 millionth.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Frizzle86
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
It seems strange that if GM spend $1,000,000,000+ developing the LT1 that they wouldn't have increased the bore spacing slightly to accomodate a larger displacement motor on the same architecture base (since it really wouldn't cost anymore). Yes, I understand the push for fuel economy, emissions, etc, however, for an all out performance N/A motor it seems this would be easily accomplished via more cubic inches and the fact that this larger displacement derivative motor could find it's home in Trucks, SUV's, Motor homes, large industrial trucks, etc. since forced induction motors typically get less economy.

I guess, Ford, Audi, BMW, hyundai need to stop making turbo cars.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frizzle86

I guess, Ford, Audi, BMW, hyundai need to stop making turbo cars.
As a point of fact, Turbo and hybrid cars can be built to beat/ "ace" the EPA mileage test cycle. Ford has been doing it with their ecoboost and Energi lines quite effectively.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Are you a friend of Bill W?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
As a point of fact, Turbo and hybrid cars can be built to beat/ "ace" the EPA mileage test cycle. Ford has been doing it with their ecoboost and Energi lines quite effectively.
Another point of fact. Taking a turbo / supercharged engine and making it NA, you get even more efficient. There's a loss of energy by trying to compress the air to use it. But this is not the place for that debate...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Compression ratio makes the biggest impact on fuel economy. The higher you can run compression on an FI engine the better fuel economy you'll see. That's the main reason for the difference in fuel economy b/n an LS7 and an LS9, the latter having a significantly lower CR.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Depends on how they are engineered. My factory Supercharged Mercedes get 21/29MPG. When not in boost mode, my supercharger has a electric clutch(same as on the A/C compressor) that disengages the supercharger's rotors and a bypass valve directs the incoming air from the air filter around the supercharger to the intake manifold.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:54 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scissors
So this thread's question shouldn't actually be "why didn't GM increase the bore spacing on the GEN V motor" but rather "why didn't GM put a big block motor in the C7".
I think GM should have put the LS7 in. So I'm sure the 1st reason GM didn't do it is because it would increase the base price too much. And probably hurt sales.

The other reason being the environmental & safety lobby from DC pressure GM to spend all it's money on boring things nobody wants. And unfortunately the crooks have a stranglehold on Big Gov.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 85scott
I think GM should have put the LS7 in. So I'm sure the 1st reason GM didn't do it is because it would increase the base price too much. And probably hurt sales.

The other reason being the environmental & safety lobby from DC pressure GM to spend all it's money on boring things nobody wants. And unfortunately the crooks have a stranglehold on Big Gov.
NO THANK YOU. If I want an LS7 there are lots of cars out there now with them.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 85scott

I couldn't disagree more. The LT1 is a far more efficient motor. It makes more power per liter and does so with less fuel usage per horse power.

As for the "boring things nobody wants", I'd really like you to not talk for me. If by boring things you're referring to DI, VVT and/or AFM, you're wrong. I want all 3 of them.

The LS7 is prohibitively expensive. It uses titanium for lots of parts. In special lower production volume cars it makes sense to have such an expensive motor. But when you're going to mass-produce 20-30K cars per year, the cost of that titanium would actually go up... Not down. That's using a LOT of titanium, an already rare metal as it is.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
NO THANK YOU. If I want an LS7 there are lots of cars out there now with them.

I will DEFINITELY take the LT1 over the LS7 any day.

Quick Reply: Why didn't GM increase the bore spacing on the GEN V Motor?