Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

455 Is Correct, As Is 460 TQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The c6 z was to have around 500hp according to GM and ended up with 505hp, the c7 was expected by GM to have 450 or so hp, and ended up with 455hp, what did everyone expect? Can't have a 2013 427 engine at 505hp and go for 80k+ and then the next year have a 50k car come near it, regardless of model update. Simple economics, they want the people that have bought new 427 cars the last few years to come back to the c7 eventually, not **** them off to never return.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I never expected the C7 to come out with 500hp. I never expected the C7 to be as fast or faster than a C6z06. I expected it to be faster than a base C6. It is. I expected it to compete or beat a C6 GS. It does. I expected the power to be between an Ls3 and an LS7. It is. I knew it would have a pushrod V8. I also knew it would still be RWD and offer a manual transmission.

Too many people on this forum had expectations that were not realistic.
This I have to agree with. The fact is that GM delivered with respect to overall specs and it appears, performance of the Base / Z51 model, and I would argue that the value proposition has improved as a result.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Nonsense. That's YOUR personal paranoia. Hence the irresistible need for you and a small group of others to engage in constant attempts at damage control against this perceived threat, which generally takes the form of trying to discredit or name-call other posters for lack of a better response on your part. For the 50-th time: there is no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Complaining and/or voicing dissatisfaction by owners is the only way a brand can improve. And the only complainers will by definition be those who care most about the car. Porsche guys don't complain about the C7 rear because they don't GAFF about the Corvette. They have no intention of ever buying one.

I remember when people attacked those who dared complain about the crappy seats in the C6, largely for the same fear motive you have. Guess what? Tadge now admits they were a weak point and the C7 is vastly improved in that area. If we did it your way, the brand would never progress.

So you can hope all you want, but I will not stop complaining and voicing my opinion - EVER, and I have every right to do that. The rear sucks IMO, and it is clear by now that a large plurality, to use a polling term, love the rest of the car but are not thrilled about the back. Perhaps if enough noise is made, they will change it.

And I care because I have and would like to continue to support the brand. Or to put it your way: what about those who like their C6 and would like to get a C7.

I hope you can get your head around what I'm saying here - but if not - it was worth a try and now you know that the "whining" will not stop.
My personal paranoia?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
To each his own. I'm all about the performance. I'm not going to be very happy if I have to look at the tailllights of yesterday's news while driving today's news... Especially when "yesterday's news" looks like Crossofiron's pic... beautiful car.
When the 'hood gawks at my slammed red Z coming down the street, I don't think they're saying, "yesterday's news".
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Let me respond in kind! I got into this thread at post 24, if you read from there on tell me honestly if you think I was bashing the car or a person until I did so in return. To my point, too many defenders of the C7 start the crap and once it starts it spirals out of control. that being said to tell someone they cannot voice their opinion on a forum just b/c they may never buy the product is BS. I can't imagine anyone being threatened by a car gthal, and the C6 regret stuff is just silly. If they were out I could buy five C7's, I'd rather have one GT3RS though or my 427 for that matter, it's not anything other than personal choice. You need to address the defenders as to why they get all touchy if the 7 is questioned!
I have no beef with you. But it's funny how you play this "who me?" routine yet are constantly involved in a large portion of the dust ups in this section. It seems like it would be easier to state your opinions and move along rather than constantly trying to reiterate your points in thread after thread. Perhaps those who are getting annoyed are simply tired of seeing it while using this forum to gather info on the C7.

Your comment in this thread about GM giving out Volt loaners "when" C7's are recalled is a clear attempt to stir the pot.

And finally, I am not really sure how the fact that you "could buy five C7's" is relevant.

S.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrander
So in 2017 maybe we should expect the Stingray to come with 480hp?
Perhaps.
Or maybe the 2014 will still be rated at 480hp right off the bat too (though I highly doubt it).

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
When the 'hood gawks at my slammed red Z coming down the street, I don't think they're saying, "yesterday's news".
My C6 still turns numerous heads as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Still not enough HP to keep up with the new upcoming rides. If it came in at 3k in weight that would help, But with the New GTR,CTS V, Camaros and Mustangs not to mention Vipers, And just about everything else in the performance world 455hp is not going to cut it. Sorry I will wait for the performance model. Hell my Cadillac with under $2k in mods has over 600 hp and I just walked a C6 Z06??
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Those who aren't satisfied with 455 wouldn't be satisfied with the additional 45 horses to get it to 500. Depending on the circles, 500 is ho hum as well. Despite "just" 455 hp, the increase in torque will make this a very fun street Vette.
An extra 45 horses

Are you kidding? Many people have bought headers for $2000-2500 after install and tune for 15-20hp, or a $1000 exhaust upgrade for 5hp. An extra free 45 out of the gate would be just peachy

It is what it is, and looks to be a great car, and the dust will settle, but those who had unreasonably high expectations must first get through the grieving process, and it may take some time
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rad928music
The BaseC4 had 300HP (250 hp early Versions)
The Base C5 350hp (I think).
The Base C6 400 hp
The Base C7 (they are saying) is 450hp +/-

I see a pattern of Increments of 50 hp +/-
Not really - this has been posted somewhere here before, but the more relevant comparison is incoming new models to outgoing prior year base models:

Last C4 300HP
1st C5 345HP +45HP
Last C5 350HP
1st C6 400HP +50HP
Last C6 436HP
1st C7 455HP? +19HP...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

At some point, you're going to see the hp on base cars plateau. Does anyone here think you're going to get 600hp base C9's or C10's?

More chances of these cars ending up in ditches...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Google will drive them, no worries.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Since you have no idea what the C7 performance is this is just an insane guess.......no?????

Did not GM OFFICIALLY state the new C7 0-60 performance at "just under 4.0 seconds"? I know that's not any kind of super impressive improvement - about about the same as a C6 GS and slower than a Z06, but you don't get to just wish it away simply because you hope it's better than that...

Just the facts as they've been stated by GM
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueOx
What about the many of us who have and like our C6's and do want a C7?
I have no problem with people who are 'bi' ...sorry, just not for me OX
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snorman
I have no beef with you. But it's funny how you play this "who me?" routine yet are constantly involved in a large portion of the dust ups in this section. It seems like it would be easier to state your opinions and move along rather than constantly trying to reiterate your points in thread after thread. Perhaps those who are getting annoyed are simply tired of seeing it while using this forum to gather info on the C7.

Your comment in this thread about GM giving out Volt loaners "when" C7's are recalled is a clear attempt to stir the pot.

And finally, I am not really sure how the fact that you "could buy five C7's" is relevant.

S.
Well said.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Don't you realize that a dreamer dreams, even when faced with facts. Some still believe that the magic number will be 496, even in the face of reality. Notice that they will believe the horsepower claims from any source outside of GM, but won't believe it when actually posted by GM on their site.

Some of the dreamers have come to terms with the horsepower and are now playing it down, saying it's still a great number, even though in the past, they strongly voiced their opinion that since another engine in GM's lineup, got such and such horsepower increase, then the LT1 would get the same percentage horsepower increase over the LS3. All of a sudden 450HP(est) and now posted by GM as 455 HP, is nothing short of perfection. Funny how the C7 needed to have C6 Z06 horsepower last month, but now 455 horsepower is plenty adequate to blow the doors off the C6 Z06 even with the C7 hauling around the extra weight the C6 Z06 doesn't have.

No different than with the C7's weight. Seems that those that had a strong opinion that the weight savings that GM was broadcasting back in January was going to make the C7 the lightest Corvette ever(and thus the greatest Corvette ever as light weight was paramount in having great handling c
ar), suddenly started saying that weight meant nothing and with a gain of 100 pounds over the C6, the C7 was going to be the greatest since it had MORE weight.

Same goes with the exterior dimensions of the C7. Many were claiming the C7 was going to be smaller than the C6 and that would make the C7 a superior car over the C6. But when the C7 was released as a larger car, they then started saying that a car's size didn't mean anything, etc, etc, etc.
All true.
Its funny how irrational some people will get on this forum. When GM said the LT1 would be at least 450 HP that told me that worst case it would be 450 HP. It did not mean it would be 500 HP. But people like to dream and now they have to wake up. Its going to be painful for some of them.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
I have no problem with people who are 'bi' ...sorry, just not for me OX
OoooK
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueOx
OoooK
you know that's a joke right?

Get notified of new replies

To 455 Is Correct, As Is 460 TQ

Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict 25 pages for this thread
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
At some point, you're going to see the hp on base cars plateau. Does anyone here think you're going to get 600hp base C9's or C10's?

More chances of these cars ending up in ditches...
Thats what insurance is for Justin.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
All true.
Its funny how irrational some people will get on this forum. When GM said the LT1 would be at least 450 HP that told me that worst case it would be 450 HP. It did not mean it would be 500 HP. But people like to dream and now they have to wake up. Its going to be painful for some of them.
Actually, the people who are irrational are the people who campaign against a new generation of Corvette or the enthusiasm for it before it is even out.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-24-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 455 Is Correct, As Is 460 TQ