Sponsored by:

455=427

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Hrmm I could have sworn that I clicked C7 forum....am I lost or is there really a flame fest about the LS7 happening in here.

OK the LS7 is a nice engine, I wouldnt call it revolutionary or even remotely inspired, but it makes great power, isnt very heavy, and pretty easy to work on (cam in block). The thing is, its not really advancing the engineering behind performance engine design, its just another displacement equals power engine. For people to get so defensive over it puzzles me, kinda like the old Ford - Chevy dynamic. The thing that all current LS7 fans to try to understand is that the LS7 era for Corvette is over...done...finito! You can spout the virtues of the engine til youre blue in the face, but the reality is that Chevy decided to put it to pasture...the 427 was the big sendoff.

Now I understand that some people take a while to adjust to things like that (some never do), but it will be a better use of brainpower and bandwidth discussing the things that could be improved upon rather than doing the online equivalent to a dick measuring contest. The new LT1 is the route Chevy has decided to take for the foreseeable future...wanna know what I think the ZR1 might end up with...something similar to a HY-KERS hybrid powerplant utilizing a higher revving variant of the LT4. How twisted would the collective Corvette society's underwear be if they made the king dog Corvette a hybrid?

Think on that...
I think the LS7 or a variant of it could very well show up again since it is clear GM has some platforms they want to put it in. GM clearly learned a lot from this engine and will use the positive and negative lessons going forward. And let's not forget, it is going to be in production cars into the near future and will likely be sold as a crate engine well into the future.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
The LS7 is, IMO, the best engine GM has ever made. I like the high redline, the fact that it pulls strongly all the way there, and the fact it is normally aspirated. Whether it's called a 427 or a 428 is immaterial to me, but I totally understand going with the 427 for nostalgia. That doesn't take anything away from the engine.

The reliability concern seems like a material discrepancy issue rather than a design issue, which is some ways is good news and in some ways is bad news. Good because it means most engines are probably fine. Bad because it may be more difficult to know if yours has the potential problem or not (and if it was a design issue inherent to all engines GM might have taken a more responsive approach to solving the problem). I don't know if GM had tracked the bad lot of parts, but if so, it would have been a good gesture to proactively handle the situation to give the customer better peace of mind.

The LT1 will be a great engine as well, and certainly looks like it has all the bases covered in terms of technology and robust materials and construction. However, this initial release seems like they left a bit on the table at high RPMs, maybe for fuel economy or emissions reasons, maybe for marketing reasons, maybe simply due to timing and the amount of effort required to make things just a bit better, but in the end I will admit to being a little disappointed with only the 25 HP increase over the LS3. I was hoping for a bigger number, even though I realize the engine makes some great gains down low where it is more useful for daily driving.

I do hope that GM releases a naturally aspirated version of the LT1 that is tuned more for high RPM HP for a more track oriented car, but maybe that is something the aftermarket will solve with hotter cams that help maintain torque at the higher RPMs.

Either way, the 427 Vert will be a great car with a great engine, as will the C7. It really comes down to how much you value other improvements made in the C7 compared to the upated styling and slightly lower engine performance.

-T
A refreshing logical and well thought out post, thank you. Based on your forum name, I guess you also spend some time on the track so you get exactly what I am talking about re rpm ranges.

About the heads. I chose to totally redo mine for a variety of personal reasons: I want to track the car, I want to keep this car for several more years (I may add another toy in a year or two), I wanted to push the heads design as far as possible which is why I went to WCCH and followed all of Richard's recommendations, including going with Brodix castings. BTW, Richard told me that he has seen some recurring problems with LS9, ZR1 heads also. It may well have not been necessary to do, but this is a hobby and I am fortunate to be able to enjoy playing with my cars.

At 622 h/p and 608 lbs of N/A emissions legal, very streetable power moving a 3050 lb Z06, I personally feel I have the best combination for me. I had a stock 2010 ZR1, and this car definitely handles more crisply and feels stronger. For those who want and like the C7 base car, I say "go for it", enjoy, and don't forget to wave as I pass you...
Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Hrmm I could have sworn that I clicked C7 forum....am I lost or is there really a flame fest about the LS7 happening in here.

OK the LS7 is a nice engine, I wouldnt call it revolutionary or even remotely inspired, but it makes great power, isnt very heavy, and pretty easy to work on (cam in block). The thing is, its not really advancing the engineering behind performance engine design, its just another displacement equals power engine. For people to get so defensive over it puzzles me, kinda like the old Ford - Chevy dynamic. The thing that all current LS7 fans to try to understand is that the LS7 era for Corvette is over...done...finito! You can spout the virtues of the engine til youre blue in the face, but the reality is that Chevy decided to put it to pasture...the 427 was the big sendoff.

Now I understand that some people take a while to adjust to things like that (some never do), but it will be a better use of brainpower and bandwidth discussing the things that could be improved upon rather than doing the online equivalent to a dick measuring contest. The new LT1 is the route Chevy has decided to take for the foreseeable future...wanna know what I think the ZR1 might end up with...something similar to a HY-KERS hybrid powerplant utilizing a higher revving variant of the LT4. How twisted would the collective Corvette society's underwear be if they made the king dog Corvette a hybrid?

Think on that...
Um...the 427 is not gone. Going in the new Z-28.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:53 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

This thread is still going?

Quick Reply: 455=427