C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that we know the hp number is low why does everyone think they will up the power?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

But like gthal basically said, run what you brung. As it sits, the GS ran a 2:54.5 and the C7 Z51 a 2:51.78. Period. There's no equalizing with similar tires or adding an intake and tune or anything. It is what it is. At VIR, C6 ZR1 > C6 Z06 > C7 Z51 > C6GS. Exactly how it should be given the numbers.

The gap between the C7 Z51 and C6 Z06 is the same as the one between the C6 ZR1 and C6 Z06.

Side Note: Jim Mero mentioned that the factory cars might be able to run even quicker times due to the sheer amount of datalogging equipment in the back of the prototypes.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I expect to see a continued fire sale of remaining C6's, especially base and Grand Sports, GM won't be able to give them away with the much more powerful and modern C7 months away 460hp!
I cannot understand the constant comments regarding that 24 hp increase over the C6 LS3.

Engineering calculations indicate that 31 additional hp, or 467 hp, would be required for the C7 design, to compensate for the additional weight.

Therefore, the C7 is actually 7 hp shy of the break even mark.

What are these folks thinking???
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
I cannot understand the constant comments regarding that 24 hp increase over the C6 LS3.

Engineering calculations indicate that 31 additional hp, or 467 hp, would be required for the C7 design, to compensate for the additional weight.

Peak horsepower doesn't tell the whole story.

That's why the Z51 still goes 0-60 more quickly than any LS3(at least by GM numbers) and traps 119mph according to GM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

This thread, like most others in this section, is nothing more than a big pissing contest. Seems like it's mostly written by children. Seems like that's what this place is all about lately. Boring listening to many of you talking about who's dick is longer - no one gives a ****. It's an embarrassment in the community. Sounds like the Viper boards around here. They'd toss most of your a$$es outta here permanently if this was the Ford GT forum.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Peak horsepower doesn't tell the whole story.

That's why the Z51 still goes 0-60 more quickly than any LS3(at least by GM numbers) and traps 119mph according to GM.
What Kappa said is true... people's obsession with peak HP when that isn't the full (or most important thing, necessarily) is beyond me.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gthal
What Kappa said is true... people's obsession with peak HP when that isn't the full (or most important thing, necessarily) is beyond me.
Hee, I gotta admit that my comments were purely sarcastic.

I know of no "engineering calculations" that require 31 hp to compensate for the weight increase. Total BS...I guess I'm just sooooo tired of hearing about this 24 hp, like it was an important consideration in purchasing a C7, and then bashing the C6 for limping along with 436.

Like FastestBusaAround said, so many threads these days turn into a pissin' contest, over absolutely nothing....I hang around for the entertainment. Although earlier I watched "Road House" for the 3rd time, and enjoyed it more.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Hee, I gotta admit that my comments were purely sarcastic.

I know of no "engineering calculations" that require 31 hp to compensate for the weight increase. Total BS...I guess I'm just sooooo tired of hearing about this 24 hp, like it was an important consideration in purchasing a C7, and then bashing the C6 for limping along with 436.

I think at this point, the speculation and BS should end and people should be watching for real performance numbers to start being published. This will, IMO, end all the nonsense about how GM "dropped the ball" with the C7. Once these cars start getting tracked, it will become even more apparent that it's a step up from the C6.
S.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman

I think at this point, the speculation and BS should end and people should be watching for real performance numbers to start being published. This will, IMO, end all the nonsense about how GM "dropped the ball" with the C7. Once these cars start getting tracked, it will become even more apparent that it's a step up from the C6.
S.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snorman

S.
Personally, I intend to watch, and listen, and read professional publications over the next year.

If the C7 turns out to be everything that G.M. says it will be, and if there are no issues associated with the new beast, and if it is a significant step up from my '13 GS to warrant the trade/sell expense, I will order one in July, of 2015. If all that criteria is not met, then I'll continue to enjoy my C6....simple.

For me, everything else is just speculation, personal opinions, and fanboyism, to one degree or another.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
This thread, like most others in this section, is nothing more than a big pissing contest. Seems like it's mostly written by children. Seems like that's what this place is all about lately. Boring listening to many of you talking about who's dick is longer - no one gives a ****. It's an embarrassment in the community. Sounds like the Viper boards around here. They'd toss most of your a$$es outta here permanently if this was the Ford GT forum.
Says the guy with the Ford GT in his avatar!

Just messing with you. I totally agree with you.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think this one has long since outlived any usefulness it may have had

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now that we know the hp number is low why does everyone think they will up the power?