Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM
R0NIN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual!
Manual!
Manual!

Make sure to post pics next fall when your Mr. Hotshot on campus!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I love manuals. Driving in stop & go traffic is not that bad. Its actually fun. Going through the gears, to go back down, and then up again is the fun part about it. If that annoys you, then don't get a stick.

In really bad traffic, you really don't shift often so its not really an issue. Some people say they hate having to deal with the clutch all the time; especially in bad traffic when you may pump it a lot. But with todays tech, they are way better then what they use to be in the 80s and older. Your leg won't feel like it had been doing squats for hours after 30 min of slow traffic.

If you like relaxing in your car and keeping your hands on the wheel, then buy an auto. If like to have a driving experience you can partake in, then get a stick.

As to buying a vette over others, that comes down to preference. A stick in any car is a lot of fun.
Since It'll be my daily driver (honestly: weekend driver, since I can walk to class), I was somewhat worried about a high torque, manual car. I intend on driving the car alone (it wont, by any means be used aggressively) .Only when tracking it will it see some high-performance driving. The only thing that bothers me is that I think I'll be missing out on the technology the auto gives me (mainly different shifting speeds, etc, etc ..) .Not a real problem, since in the manual car, I(the driver)can spontaneously shift faster...
Thanks ...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R0NIN
Manual!
Manual!
Manual!

Make sure to post pics next fall when your Mr. Hotshot on campus!

I'll most likely ****-off a lot of people, since I wont seem to care about the car
( You wont see me with a cheesy smile.I'll treat the car like any other car so as not to attract attention.)
Thanks again
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Fore me, I really like having a Vette with a manual because the abundance of torque makes it easy to drive compared a small buzzy engine that constantly needs shifting to keep the rpm's up.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DonOH
Fore me, I really like having a Vette with a manual because the abundance of torque makes it easy to drive compared a small buzzy engine that constantly needs shifting to keep the rpm's up.
How loud is the car while idiling ? With and without npp engaged
Thanks !
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have had both auto and manual Vettes, some daily drivers and some weekend rides. The vast majority of my driving is city and heavy traffic. My current C6 is a manual and despite the constant work in traffic, I love it and am glad I have it. While. Enjoyed my auto Vette, my preference is manual for the fun and driving experience.

Good luck with your purchase. i think a Vette is a great choice. You will definitely enjoy it!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was in college I drove a 1974 Opel Manta. College students must make more these days.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aviator
I have had both auto and manual Vettes, some daily drivers and some weekend rides. The vast majority of my driving is city and heavy traffic. My current C6 is a manual and despite the constant work in traffic, I love it and am glad I have it. While. Enjoyed my auto Vette, my preference is manual for the fun and driving experience.

Good luck with your purchase. i think a Vette is a great choice. You will definitely enjoy it!

But would a manual degrade the quality of the vette ? (i.e. would it feel any different with manual than, say a mazda miata with comparable power ?)
Stated another way: how does the technology in the car connect with the manual transmission/make the car "feel" ?
Thanks so much,
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gmccreary
When I was in college I drove a 1974 Opel Manta. College students must make more these days.
Ha Ha, but seriously, I'm blessed to have the opportunity to own such a vehicle.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ieem
Ha Ha, but seriously, I'm blessed to have the opportunity to own such a vehicle.
Thanks
How are you able to afford it?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rcallen484
How are you able to afford it?
I'll be leasing it from a person who trusts me
Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

How can you afford the lease payment and how much is insurance going to cost you?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rcallen484
How can you afford the lease payment and how much is insurance going to cost you?
"trust" !!!
But still, I "he" is in the ordering phase
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

But would a manual degrade the quality of the vette ? (i.e. would it feel any different with manual than, say a mazda miata with comparable power ?)
Stated another way: how does the technology in the car connect with the manual transmission/make the car "feel" ?
Thanks so much,
I "feel" far more connected to the car with a manual than an automatic. With spirited driving, I think a manual gives the driver more flexibility. My Vette also has magnetic ride suspension with two settings, and that also enhances the feel and ride. Packaged together they are an awesome pair.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

"trust" !!!
What does "trust" have to do with it? How are you going to make the lease and car insurance payments?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

"trust" !!!
Translation: Daddy says I can pay when I get my job.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I wish my dad would've signed a loan for me when I was a kid. When I was 16 years old I'd had a steady job for four years and he still wouldn't sign for me. Though in his defense, I was a pretty wild kid and I think he thought that me having a car would just cause me to get into more trouble. And, the car I was looking at was a used '57 Corvette. Looking back, my dad would've NEVER been agreeable to anything like that. Finally when I was 17 I ended up getting a '55 Chevy which I sold a year later when I joined the Navy.

My advice... Get a manual if you know how to drive one. If you don't know how to drive one then I can see why you are having a conflict on that decision. You can either learn how the drive a stick or not.

When I was growing up the mix of manual vs auto on the road was about 50/50 so I was exposed to manuals quite extensively. By the time I drove my first car I have observed and taken in enough that it was just second nature to me. I don't ever remember not knowing how to drive a stick. Being capable of drive a stick probably had a lot to do with the fact I had been driving motor cycles since I was nine years old.

It's been my experience that with todays generation of new drivers they just haven't been exposed to a clutch so it's totally foreign to them and learning to row the gears takes more brain power (or maybe common sense) than some of them have.

For me, I'd have a stick in my Vette except for three things. First, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor had to be taken into account which required the automatic. Secondly, I've had two back surgeries. I sold my last stick in 1996 because it was getting very painful for me to constantly be using the clutch. I lived six miles from work and it was all I could do just to drive to and from work. And third, I'm just an old f(@k now and really don't want to row the gears any more. If I was young and had a good back I'd definitely be ordering the M6 or whatever the designation is for the manual. There's nothing like rowing the gears in a fast car.

NPP (IMO)
Off: Think soccer mom. Well maybe not quite that bad, but close, at least for the C6.
On: Almost what a street legal sports car should sound like. Again, for the C6.
There are plenty of videos around on the C7 exhaust note.

How long is the "ordering phase" expected to last?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
SIN R G
Advanced

I say get the automatic, if you don't like it then just give it to me. Please get the blue, I like the blue best!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Hello,
I am new to the corvette world, but I am an avid car enthusiast,and am very seriously considering a stingray corvette(c7) . I am a college student and was advised by my friends that an automatic would make things simpler, but for some reason I just want to get the manual.You might not believe me, but I chose the manual transmission because it will make my life miserable when commuting. I want my car to have personality. I believe that a manual transmission optioned car serves this purpose. I think that putting an auto on a vette is like "castrating" the car. I think that in the future, I would like the car more because of this misery.English is not my first language, so sorry if there are any mistakes.
Thanks
Buy what you want not what your friends want. It is your car. Are your friends going to pay for it, pay to maintain it, wash it, etc. etc.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat99
Translation: Daddy says I can pay when I get my job.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I wish my dad would've signed a loan for me when I was a kid. When I was 16 years old I'd had a steady job for four years and he still wouldn't sign for me. Though in his defense, I was a pretty wild kid and I think he thought that me having a car would just cause me to get into more trouble. And, the car I was looking at was a used '57 Corvette. Looking back, my dad would've NEVER been agreeable to anything like that. Finally when I was 17 I ended up getting a '55 Chevy which I sold a year later when I joined the Navy.

My advice... Get a manual if you know how to drive one. If you don't know how to drive one then I can see why you are having a conflict on that decision. You can either learn how the drive a stick or not.

When I was growing up the mix of manual vs auto on the road was about 50/50 so I was exposed to manuals quite extensively. By the time I drove my first car I have observed and taken in enough that it was just second nature to me. I don't ever remember not knowing how to drive a stick. Being capable of drive a stick probably had a lot to do with the fact I had been driving motor cycles since I was nine years old.

It's been my experience that with todays generation of new drivers they just haven't been exposed to a clutch so it's totally foreign to them and learning to row the gears takes more brain power (or maybe common sense) than some of them have.

For me, I'd have a stick in my Vette except for three things. First, the WAF had to be taken into account which required the automatic. Secondly, I've had two back surgeries. I sold my last stick in 1996 because it was getting very painful for me to constantly be using the clutch. I lived six miles from work and it was all I could do just to drive to and from work. And third, I'm just an old f(@k now and really don't want to row the gears any more. If I was young and had a good back I'd definitely be ordering the M6 or whatever the designation is for the manual. There's nothing like rowing the gears in a fast car.

NPP (IMO)
Off: Think soccer mom. Well maybe not quite that bad, but close, at least for the C6.
On: Almost what a street legal sports car should sound like. Again, for the C6.
There are plenty of videos around on the C7 exhaust note.

How long is the "ordering phase" expected to last?
LOL, my parents cosigned a note for a corolla when I graduated college, of which I paid it all. Must be nice!

To which, I was better off for it!

Quick Reply: Is a c7 a good match for me?