Stop saying "its a great car for the money"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Stop saying "its a great car for the money"

I'm so tired of people saying the Vette is "a great car for the money".

The C7 IS great. It stacks up against cars costing much more. It looks better, it goes quicker, and according to tests it seems to beat or be within a whisker of the most exotic. It does a VIR lap a touch QUICKER than a 2010 Lambo Gallardo Superleggera. A used Superleggera costs twice what a new C7 does.

It would be a great car if it costed more. If you look at the Jag F type, there's no comparison. Their 90 grand version doesn't even come close to the C7 convertible in performance or equipment.

When you say "a great car for the money" you are effectively saying it's only "great" if you don't consider money.

I don't buy that. It's just a great car, period.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aye, aye!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Great car for the money!

"for the money" meaning a value as well as a great sports car. All good.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top of the supercar list for value, no one is even close.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
If you look at the Jag F type, there's no comparison. Their 90 grand version doesn't even come close to the C7 convertible in performance or equipment.
Your argument here is that it is a great car for the money. The only way to avoid this is to never talk about money in the comparison.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ospreycorvette
Top of the supercar list for value, no one is even close.
No offense but a supercar it's not!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
No offense but a supercar it's not!
You are totally correct! It is a nice car for the money. I got to see a C7 Convert. at Annapolis Md. two weeks ago, I was not that impressed about the interior quality, the steering wheel is not so desirable to look at. I have a Coupe on order, and when it comes in, I am going to make my decision to buy on it's fit and finish quality.
I did like the rear end of the car, in person it looked really good to me, the car seems much smaller in real life, much more like a sportscar should appear.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

But but its a great car for the money/
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by post-it
You are totally correct! It is a nice car for the money. I got to see a C7 Convert. at Annapolis Md. two weeks ago, I was not that impressed about the interior quality, the steering wheel is not so desirable to look at. I have a Coupe on order, and when it comes in, I am going to make my decision to buy on it's fit and finish quality.
I did like the rear end of the car, in person it looked really good to me, the car seems much smaller in real life, much more like a sportscar should appear.
For sure a great value and a real nice car. As for the car it's quite subjective, to me it has some real nice areas but IMO the overall style still doesn't come together. good luck with your coupe, hope you love it!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I look at it a little differently.

There are good cars.
There are great cars.
And the highest compliment of all is "Great Car for the Money!"

"A Great Car for the Money" is a car that someone other than the top 1/10 of 1% can actually buy and drive.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

It does a VIR lap a touch QUICKER than a 2010 Lambo Gallardo Superleggera. A used Superleggera costs twice what a new C7 does.
I agree,the C7 is a great car,but where did you get the time for the Lambo? If it's from C&D's Lightning Lap you can't compare those times against a GM backed event at VIR. They have been typically ~5 sec faster than the guys from C&D in the ZR1,Z06,and Camaro ZL1.

I'm sure the C7 will be in the next LL & I expect it'll run around a 2.56 or so in their hands. Nothing against their driving,but they don't spend near the time in these cars that GM does. They also have to go back to the pits with hat in hand if they wad a car up. If Jim Mero wads one up,he just goes back to the paddock and jumps in another one.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It will be a great car for the money. Time will tell if the C7 is actually great by any standard. Some performance estimates and nice photos are not enough to make the determination at this time. To be geat it will have to deliver performance and quality at every level. I think it will, that's why I ordered one.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

It is a great car... The money part is the perception of the buyer..
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Agree with OP, you dont hear Porsche guys say that the Cayman/Boxster are " best bang for the buck " vs their much more expensive 911 series that can cost up to 200k. You dont hear Camaro /Mustang buyers refer to their models as " great car for the money " .
It seems to be perpetuated ,IMO, mostly by writers and Corvette owners. It doesnt help that some intenders dont feel they are getting good value unless they are buying something like a new close out C6 base model with factory incentives for the cost of a loaded up domestic pick -up truck. Part of that comes from the fact that many Eventual Corvette buyers would never and have never owned a foreign car, even in this day, and the idea of $100k cars ( so plentiful in the market for foreign makes ) might as well be 1 million.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 06-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP has a good point. It is a great car period. I think when people say "It's a great car for the money" that just adds to the value when you think about just how much performance, looks, quality you get for the money is also an added bonus. Like it's seemingly impossible to think this car costs so "little". Makes the other manufacturers just seem like their cars are highly over-priced. At the same time though when you buy a Porsche or Ferrari, you do have to consider you are paying for importing the car as well. Corvettes cost more in other countries I believe.

-Alex
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm so tired of people saying the Vette is "a great car for the money".

The C7 IS great. It stacks up against cars costing much more. It looks better, it goes quicker, and according to tests it seems to beat or be within a whisker of the most exotic. It does a VIR lap a touch QUICKER than a 2010 Lambo Gallardo Superleggera. A used Superleggera costs twice what a new C7 does.

It would be a great car if it costed more. If you look at the Jag F type, there's no comparison. Their 90 grand version doesn't even come close to the C7 convertible in performance or equipment.

When you say "a great car for the money" you are effectively saying it's only "great" if you don't consider money.

I don't buy that. It's just a great car, period.
Well, it's MORE than just a great car for the money, but that is a critical part of it's appeal. IMHO, if it was selling for Jag, Lambo or even Porsche money, it wouldn't be as big a seller.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Agree with OP, you dont hear Porsche guys say that the Cayman/Boxster are " best bang for the buck " vs their much more expensive 911 series that can cost up to 200k. You dont hear Camaro /Mustang buyers refer to their models as " great car for the money " .
It seems to be perpetuated ,IMO, mostly by writers and Corvette owners. It doesnt help that bottom feeders here dont feel they are getting good value unless they are buying something like a new close out C6 base model with factory incentives for the cost of a loaded up pick up truck.
It is a great car for the money. If they charged $50K more it would not be a great car for the money. The perception of value is largely in the mind of the owner. It may have supercar performance but it is not classified as a supercar. I think some Corvette owners have to get over that fact and be happy they got high performance for a good price.

Get notified of new replies

To Stop saying "its a great car for the money"

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll NEVER hear a Porsche owner say that their Boxster or Gayman is a bang for buck value. EVER.

-Alex
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
You'll NEVER hear a Porsche owner say that their Boxster or Gayman is a bang for buck value. EVER.

-Alex
I have heard that from a guy who owns a Caymen. So strike the never...

He was comparing its value to a 911.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
It is a great car for the money. If they charged $50K more it would not be a great car for the money. The perception of value is largely in the mind of the owner. It may have supercar performance but it is not classified as a supercar. I think some Corvette owners have to get over that fact and be happy they got high performance for a good price.

If it was $50k more it would still be a great car but I agree it would no longer be a great car for the money.

Quick Reply: Stop saying "its a great car for the money"