Sponsored by:

Colors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Colors

I have an order in but I'm far enough down the list at my dealer that I should have plenty of time to make any changes. Although I did select a color, I'm wavering. There are some great looking color options for the C7. Too bad Inferno Orange isn't one of them.

Anyway, the point of my post is this: On the freeway today (SoCal) I started really looking at car colors. The predominant colors were gray, silver, white and black. I estimate those made up 85-90% of the car colors. I was surprised that most cars were in the grayscale colors as opposed to fire, sea, sky or earth tones. Of the remaining 10-15%, red was the most common, with all the other colors making up the rest. Very few green or blue and still fewer bright colors.

This is a pretty anecdotal observation, but it seems like car color choices have gotten more bland in recent years. I remember thinking once as I drove by the BMW and Mercedes dealers that all the new cars on their lots were black, silver or gray, with an occasional white one thrown in, making the choices decidedly monochromatic.

Just an observation...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Accurate observation IMO which is why Torch Red is my choice... why be a lemming?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
VRMMMM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose black, because this will be a lease car. I figure, at the end of my 2 year lease I can buy it if the residual is good, and resell it. Not very hard to sell a black sports car.

I have owned a lot of black cars, and they can be a pain to keep clean, but, when they are, nothing looks better IMHO.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
I have an order in but I'm far enough down the list at my dealer that I should have plenty of time to make any changes. Although I did select a color, I'm wavering. There are some great looking color options for the C7. Too bad Inferno Orange isn't one of them.

Anyway, the point of my post is this: On the freeway today (SoCal) I started really looking at car colors. The predominant colors were gray, silver, white and black. I estimate those made up 85-90% of the car colors. I was surprised that most cars were in the grayscale colors as opposed to fire, sea, sky or earth tones. Of the remaining 10-15%, red was the most common, with all the other colors making up the rest. Very few green or blue and still fewer bright colors.

This is a pretty anecdotal observation, but it seems like car color choices have gotten more bland in recent years. I remember thinking once as I drove by the BMW and Mercedes dealers that all the new cars on their lots were black, silver or gray, with an occasional white one thrown in, making the choices decidedly monochromatic.

Just an observation...
I posted the same thing a few weeks ago and going through severe color dysfunction. Sticking with CG and hoping the incredible lines help make it stick out. Good luck!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I have to park mine in the sun at a condo. So white is really the only choice I have from a fading, heat buildup, cleaning point of view. White pops at night when darker colors disappear. Doesn't blend with background except if snowing and that doesn't happen. Was thinking of yellow, that would work too. But a little too bold. White with stripe and have to check out interiors. Silver, Z51 wheels, red calipers, 2016 model.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

No grayscale for me:
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
No grayscale for me:
I agree

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 06-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Crystal Red Metallic!! No one can call it ordinary.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

No grayscale for me:
Wow, I wouldn't have thought yellow calipers would look good with that color, but they do! Nice.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Car color preferences change over time. If you look at 50's cars, the colors are a lot brighter and more bizarre. It was a time of optimism -- and many were buying their very first car. They wanted to shout it out.

Look at Muscle cars of the 70's. Who would have thought you could sell a car to a guy that's bright purple? Well, in the phsycodelic 70's and the advent of color TV, color was all the rage. Look at the TV series "Batman" and see bright, bold colors used in ways it isn't anymore on TV show today.

Most cars are utilitarian. Utilitarian owners like cars that don't stand out and don't look too dirty all the time.

But, it's also the type of driver and their attitude. How many Porsche's do you see in red or yellow? Very few. Most are white, silver or black. Even Porsche's yellow is muted and a bit "creamy" looking.

How many Ferrari's to you see in Red or Yellow? A lot.

How many Lamborghini's do you see in neon green or yellow? A lot.

How many Camry's do you see in the same dull metallic gray? A lot.

How many SUV's do you see in a bright Red or Blue? Very few.

The moral: personality has a lot of do with color choice. It's not the car manufacturers who are driving this trend. It's the buying public.

Believe me, if there were a huge market for bright red Camry's, Toyota would make them.

Last edited by Sin City; 06-27-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

No grayscale for me:
There are a bunch of real pics of blue c7 with black wheels that you don't really need to go off a rendering. The colour in renderings like this are never actual either.

On the thread topic I like having a loud, attention grabbing colour like yellow or torch red, but then I think "this would be a cool colour on occasion, but would I want such a specific bright colour every day as my DD? So for that reason I'm thinking of black now instead.

I think blue and crm have a good balance of some colour without being overly loud, but I don't think the 1k price is worth it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

This new car (C7) looks good with a bright vibrant color. The new exotic lines on the car look good with the brighter colors.

From a distance the silvers, grays, and blacks, kinda look similar to a C6 from a distance... Thats another reason why i like the new Laguna Blue for the C7. An ALL-NEW color for an ALL-NEW body style. Its a WIN WIN.

Last edited by jr3; 06-27-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam

Just an observation...

I have VY now and will be getting CRM. I try to pick colors that are not real common. My current VY is one of the least selected colors.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I placed my Z51 order yesterday in Torch Red w/black wheels. Why fix what isn't broke ??? All of my red cars in the past were Guards Red Porsche's and one Red Acura Integra. I loved them all and they carried 'Fast' aftermarket value. Sold as fast as they looked
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Achmed
There are a bunch of real pics of blue c7 with black wheels that you don't really need to go off a rendering. The colour in renderings like this are never actual either. ...
Lots of photos, very few good ones. Most have some obstruction or unsightly background. Many of the ones with black wheels are missing the center caps. None with yellow calipers. Too much effort to try to photoshop all that stuff into something that is not a really good photo to start with. I realize the rendered color is not accurate, but it is close enough until I get the real thing and can take a good photo.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Lots of photos, very few good ones. Most have some obstruction or unsightly background. Many of the ones with black wheels are missing the center caps. None with yellow calipers. Too much effort to try to photoshop all that stuff into something that is not a really good photo to start with. I realize the rendered color is not accurate, but it is close enough until I get the real thing and can take a good photo.
I think these are much better than the photoshopped render, even though the whole car is not in any single pic.
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Achmed
Drifting

A few more
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Colors

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Like I said, no good photo. All of those have significant problems. I need a "glamour shot".
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Like I said, no good photo. All of those have significant problems. I need a "glamour shot".
lol difference of opinion I guess, I like the ones posted above much more than the render. Plus they are more representative of how the car will look.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 PM
yellowray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you realize back in 1968 there was a Stingray in metallic orange?

SCHWINN STINGRAY ORANGE KRATE 5 SPEED...gotcha!

I wonder why GM decided not to offer the inferno orange for the C7

Quick Reply: Colors