Sponsored by:

GM Card questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Card questions

I noticed there were a few post where people have mentioned using their GM Card credit when buying Corvettes in the past. Have a few questions? Is it worth doing verses a actual money back card like AMEX?

I looked on the GM Card site briefly. They list "eligible" models you can use the Redemption Allowances for. Currently you can use up to $3K for a '13 Corvette. Are they offering $3K as a incentive to move the remaining C6 inventory or is that the usual Corvette credit?

Have there been exclusions for new models before? Is it likely GM will not accept Redemption Allowances on a high demand new model like the C7? Or not allow as much credit?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had very good luck with mine, work for years to top off the card to 3K, but for some reason or another the "hot cars" you can only use 1200-1500$, can't combine with other offers, like employee pricing. I had a temper tantrum trying to purchase wifes car and left the dealer. They called the next day to make it right. Thank you Robins Chevy in Humble TX, but I no longer use the card. Don't expect to use more than $1200 on a "hot car" Z06, ZR1, ZL1, or 14 Stingray

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 02-16-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

I was able to ues 1000 on my c6 but it sucks over all i have over 4200 on it now i have never been able to use,
And now it starts to expire every month.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

If you are eligible for employee pricing, there is a special version of the card called "GM Extended Family". With this card, you CAN combine your credit card earnings with employee pricing (I have done it several times).

https://www.gmcard.com/efc/about-the-card

Last edited by Zymurgy; 02-16-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to use 1000 on by C6 when I ordered it in Sept. 04 and took delivery in Dec. 04
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I just ran mine up to about a grand, now switched back to the cash cards. The best thing about the GM card is you are getting 5% back, which then will be topped off to $2000 or some other number based on your total amount. So, over less than a year I ran it up on $20000 spending. My Amex and Citi cards pay cash back, and I have returned to them because I may not use the GM card $$$ before buying a C7....it's a gamble.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth a grand even on GM s latest and greatest. The dealers love it as they get reimbursed. I always keep a grand worth of points. Just never pay interest. Always pay monthly bill in full
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

The GM Card 5% Redemption Allowances is what has me interested?

Probably will buy second year. Don't want to risk first year teething problems and want to see if there will be a new 8-speed transmission. I also want to drive one first. Hopefully the C7 is as-advertised. It is killing me that I have to wait!

I just did not want to waste credit for cash back from AMEX if there was a possibility the GM Card has exclusions or limitations on what you can spend on. I'd hate to build up Redemption Allowances and not be able to use all of it. It would be great if they took $3K like they do now on current Corvettes. Looks like the Redemption Allowances is good for 7 years. Probably will build up a couple of thousand just in case they let you use it.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 PM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
The GM Card 5% Redemption Allowances is what has me interested?

Probably will buy second year. Don't want to risk first year teething problems and want to see if there will be a new 8-speed transmission. I also want to drive one first. Hopefully the C7 is as-advertised. It is killing me that I have to wait!

I just did not want to waste credit for cash back from AMEX if there was a possibility the GM Card has exclusions or limitations on what you can spend on. I'd hate to build up Redemption Allowances and not be able to use all of it. It would be great if they took $3K like they do now on current Corvettes. Looks like the Redemption Allowances is good for 7 years. Probably will build up a couple of thousand just in case they let you use it.
Just one thing, it's not 5 percent on all purchases. 5 percent is only on GM purchases. Here is what you really get.

With Unlimited Earnings on your business purchases, the GM Business Card gives you many ways to earn:

5% Earnings¹ on GM parts, accessories and service at authorized GM Dealers.

3% Earnings¹ at gas stations, restaurants and office supply stores.

1% Earnings¹ on all other purchases.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettelover69
Just one thing, it's not 5 percent on all purchases. 5 percent is only on GM purchases. Here is what you really get.

With Unlimited Earnings on your business purchases, the GM Business Card gives you many ways to earn:

There were 4 different cards.
GM Card
GM Flexible Earnings Card
GM Extended Family Card
GM Business Card

I would like to pay my real estate taxes, utilities, insurance, and other fixed expenses with the card. I thought that would earn a couple of grand fairly quick. But not sure if any of the cards let you spend enough on purchases now? It looks like each card lets you earn differently. The GM Card advertises 5% but it looks like what you can earn on is limited? They have a calculator and it does not let me input values grater then $1000 for most categories.

I might be better off spending on my AMEX for the cash back. Looks like I have to read some of the fine print.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
r1owner
Racer

I have an older card that limits me to 500 bucks in earnings a year (up to 7 years). The cool thing about this card is they cannot limit how much I can use on any car. So... I can get up to 3,500 off a C7.

I would guess with the newer cards you won't be getting more than 500 allowance on a C7 for the first few years.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by r1owner
I have an older card that limits me to 500 bucks in earnings a year (up to 7 years). The cool thing about this card is they cannot limit how much I can use on any car. So... I can get up to 3,500 off a C7.

I would guess with the newer cards you won't be getting more than 500 allowance on a C7 for the first few years.
every dollar counts, but the best offset is to know a GM employee, so when 'friends and family' finally qualify for employee discounts on a C7 it is time to swoop down on a great deal by combining card cash with the employee discount...at least, that's my plan....I never pay full retail for anything...if that is all that is available, I walk away.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,559 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelover69

I just got this wording directly off the GM card website:

Everyday spending pays off with 5% Earnings.

"...Whatever the purchase—groceries, gas, a TV, a new suit, dinner with friends or travel—using your GM Card gets you 5% Earnings on your purchases..."

So it seems the 5% is indeed for ALL purchases...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I just got this wording directly off the GM card website:

Everyday spending pays off with 5% Earnings.

"...Whatever the purchase—groceries, gas, a TV, a new suit, dinner with friends or travel—using your GM Card gets you 5% Earnings on your purchases..."

So it seems the 5% is indeed for ALL purchases...
YOU are correct! many people get the 3-4 different cards mixed up.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

The older cards are now called "GM World Card", I have 2 of them. In GM Card's switch from HSBC to Capitol One nothing has changed. They say "WORLD" above the MasterCard logo. Each year I use one until spending hits $10K, then switch to the other. There is no limit on a Corvette purchase, I've redeemed almost $10K on 4 Corvettes, currently have $3669 to redeem on a C7 (occasional promotions giving 10% on gas, etc, allow earnings to exceed the normal $500 per year limit). Unfortunately I'm now losing points each month as they turn 7 years old, I have to keep spending just to stay even . That C7 can't come soon enough!

Last edited by ZL-1; 02-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

As other mentioned, there are 4 different GM Cards that have different rules. This table summarizes them pretty well (note that only the GM Extended Family Card and GM Business Card have no Redemption Limit and they are also the only cards that allow you to combine them with GM Employee or Supplier pricing):
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by ZL-1
The older cards are now called "GM World Card", I have 2 of them. In GM Card's switch from HSBC to Capitol One nothing has changed. They say "WORLD" above the MasterCard logo. Each year I use one until spending hits $10K, then switch to the other. There is no limit on a Corvette purchase, I've redeemed almost $10K on 4 Corvettes, currently have $3669 to redeem on a C7 (occasional promotions giving 10% on gas, etc, allow earnings to exceed the normal $500 per year limit). Unfortunately I'm now losing points each month as they turn 7 years old, I have to keep spending just to stay even . That C7 can't come soon enough!

I'm only up to like 1K right now, so I won't be able to get 3500 but I plan on getting as much as I can before the time comes to purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Card questions

Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

I'm only up to like 1K right now, so I won't be able to get 3500 but I plan on getting as much as I can before the time comes to purchase.
whoa...i have the 5% card, and I get mail from GM saying I can use it toward a vehicle....even a vette...are you sure about what you stated?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
whoa...i have the 5% card, and I get mail from GM saying I can use it toward a vehicle....even a vette...are you sure about what you stated?
If as was said above, it says World Card on your Citi GM card, you get 5% on everything up to 500 a year. 3,500 max and no limitations on what vehicle you can use it on.

Also, I meant in my post above I won't be able to accumulate enough to get to 3,500 before I buy. Since I plan on buying in a year or two. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by r1owner; 02-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
rawhide
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gm card

In 2002 I got my vette with 3500 on the gm card and suppliers discount. The total off including the tax savings was just over 10k. The next year I was told you could not do both. Only one dealer would work with me, Forbes chevy near harrisburg Pa, and they closed 2 or 3 years ago. While I"m on here how do I post my cars picture next to the thread.

Quick Reply: GM Card questions