Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #21  
talon90
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,621
Thanked 80 Times in 28 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracla View Post
I'd like to be sure it is the same color, but I'm wondering how sure you are?
Paint code for the 2014 Stingray WA-505Q.

Paint code for the 2013 Corvette WA-505Q.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #22  
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Posts: 3,851
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracla View Post
So what I hear all of you saying is that the Tintcoat is not exactly the same as Metallic. But they are similar.

Will the average person be able to tell the difference, and if they can, what is the difference they will see?
"Metallic" is the little bits of silver flecks you see when you're up close to the paint. They can be very fine textured or they can be bigger and multicolored like when you look closely at Cyber Gray.

Tintcoat is an extra coat of clear (in addition to the usual base color and clear coat) that has been "tinted" with some color. Generally it adds depth and intensity to a metallic color like Crystal Red more so than to the non-metallic Velocity Yellow tintcoat
ZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #23  
Dracla
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Dracla's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands TX
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
Paint code for the 2014 Stingray WA-505Q.

Paint code for the 2013 Corvette WA-505Q.
OK, I get it. The paint code for both is exactly the same.

However, the names Tintcoat and Metallic are not. Therefore, there must be SOME difference.

I'm trying to understand that difference, because I already have a CRM in my 2010 C6, and I have a CRT on order for my C7. Will I be able to see a difference? If so, what will I see?
Dracla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #24  
talon90
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,621
Thanked 80 Times in 28 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-1 View Post
"Metallic" is the little bits of silver flecks you see when you're up close to the paint. They can be very fine textured or they can be bigger and multicolored like when you look closely at Cyber Gray.

Tintcoat is an extra coat of clear (in addition to the usual base color and clear coat) that has been "tinted" with some color. Generally it adds depth and intensity to a metallic color like Crystal Red more so than to the non-metallic Velocity Yellow tintcoat
This is a good description. The formulation of the Crystal red changed in calendar year 2011 when the tsunami hit Japan. The sole factory in Onahama that makes the Xirilic flake used to form the metallic was wiped out. That forced the CRM paint on to constraint as it was the sole sorce for that pigment. Lots of work went in to reformulating the paint to be an exact visual match with an altered formulation.

The paint on both the current generation Corvette and the next generation Stingray Corvette are metallic. The tint coat simply describes the process used to arrive at the final color.

All Corvettes use a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of these clear coats are conventional and some of them are tinted based on the desired final color. The tint is nothing more than a pigment added to conventional clear coat to alter the shade of the final color. Both the 2013 and the 2014 Crystal Red are Metallics and both are tint coat colors. I don't know why the name changed for 2014 but the color is the same.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #25  
talon90
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,621
Thanked 80 Times in 28 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracla View Post
OK, I get it. The paint code for both is exactly the same.

However, the names Tintcoat and Metallic are not. Therefore, there must be SOME difference.

I'm trying to understand that difference, because I already have a CRM in my 2010 C6, and I have a CRT on order for my C7. Will I be able to see a difference? If so, what will I see?
You will not see any difference because there isn't any difference to see. Different in name only. The key to the paint code being the same indicates that they are interchangeable and you could use that touchup paint on either. The paint codes only change when the color changes.

Here's a good photo of a Crystal Red Stingray shot by forum member mpuzach.

Name:  P1020753.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  419.4 KB

Last edited by talon90; 07-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #26  
Dracla
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Dracla's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands TX
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I do feel better, and I'll sleep easy now...at least until the night before I go to pick up my new ride.
Dracla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #27  
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Posts: 3,851
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
You will not see any difference because there isn't any difference to see. Different in name only. The key to the paint code being the same indicates that they are interchangeable and you could use that touchup paint on either. The paint codes only change when the color changes.

Here's a good photo of a Crystal Red Stingray shot by forum member mpuzach.


I think the word "tintcoat" was added to explain why those colors cost $1000.00 extra.

You can use your 2010 touch up paint on your 2014
ZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #28  
stevelischynsky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-1 View Post
"Metallic" is the little bits of silver flecks you see when you're up close to the paint. They can be very fine textured or they can be bigger and multicolored like when you look closely at Cyber Gray.

Tintcoat is an extra coat of clear (in addition to the usual base color and clear coat) that has been "tinted" with some color. Generally it adds depth and intensity to a metallic color like Crystal Red more so than to the non-metallic Velocity Yellow tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
This is a good description. The formulation of the Crystal red changed in calendar year 2011 when the tsunami hit Japan. The sole factory in Onahama that makes the Xirilic flake used to form the metallic was wiped out. That forced the CRM paint on to constraint as it was the sole sorce for that pigment. Lots of work went in to reformulating the paint to be an exact visual match with an altered formulation.

The paint on both the current generation Corvette and the next generation Stingray Corvette are metallic. The tint coat simply describes the process used to arrive at the final color.

All Corvettes use a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of these clear coats are conventional and some of them are tinted based on the desired final color. The tint is nothing more than a pigment added to conventional clear coat to alter the shade of the final color. Both the 2013 and the 2014 Crystal Red are Metallics and both are tint coat colors. I don't know why the name changed for 2014 but the color is the same.
So now I'm confused. One quote says it is base, clear, tint clear and the other post says base, tint clear only. Which is correct?
stevelischynsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #29  
Torch 97
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 745
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a 2008 CRM. I believe it is primer, base color coat, tinted clearcoat, and clear clearcoat. I think there is an extra coat hence the upcharge.
Torch 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #30  
stevelischynsky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch 97 View Post
I have a 2008 CRM. I believe it is primer, base color coat, tinted clearcoat, and clear clearcoat. I think there is an extra coat hence the upcharge.
So now we have a third recipe.
This one must be a nightmare to fix minor body repairs.
stevelischynsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #31  
talon90
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,621
Thanked 80 Times in 28 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch 97 View Post
I have a 2008 CRM. I believe it is primer, base color coat, tinted clearcoat, and clear clearcoat. I think there is an extra coat hence the upcharge.
Actually, it isn't. EVERY Corvette is painted the same way at the factory. Primer coat, color coat and clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are not. No Corvettes have an additional clear as part of the standard paint process.

The up charge is to clean out the clear coat paint robot and switch it over to the tinted clear.

Feel free to search my posts in C6 general on the paint process if you would like a little more in depth explanation about the factory paint process.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #32  
Dracla
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Dracla's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands TX
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
Actually, it isn't. EVERY Corvette is painted the same way at the factory. Primer coat, color coat and clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are not. No Corvettes have an additional clear as part of the standard paint process.

The up charge is to clean out the clear coat paint robot and switch it over to the tinted clear.

Feel free to search my posts in C6 general on the paint process if you would like a little more in depth explanation about the factory paint process.
Now it sounds like some of the cars differ in color (at least a little) from the other cars of the "same" color.
Dracla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #33  
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,057
Thanked 974 Times in 458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
This is a good description. The formulation of the Crystal red changed in calendar year 2011 when the tsunami hit Japan. The sole factory in Onahama that makes the Xirilic flake used to form the metallic was wiped out. That forced the CRM paint on to constraint as it was the sole sorce for that pigment. Lots of work went in to reformulating the paint to be an exact visual match with an altered formulation.

The paint on both the current generation Corvette and the next generation Stingray Corvette are metallic. The tint coat simply describes the process used to arrive at the final color.

All Corvettes use a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of these clear coats are conventional and some of them are tinted based on the desired final color. The tint is nothing more than a pigment added to conventional clear coat to alter the shade of the final color. Both the 2013 and the 2014 Crystal Red are Metallics and both are tint coat colors. I don't know why the name changed for 2014 but the color is the same.
Fantastic level of detail in your explanation...as always, thanks for the info you bring.

S.
Snorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #34  
stevelischynsky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
Actually, it isn't. EVERY Corvette is painted the same way at the factory. Primer coat, color coat and clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are not. No Corvettes have an additional clear as part of the standard paint process.

The up charge is to clean out the clear coat paint robot and switch it over to the tinted clear.

Feel free to search my posts in C6 general on the paint process if you would like a little more in depth explanation about the factory paint process.
A bit OT, but how is the inferno orange done?
stevelischynsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #35  
VETJAZZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VETJAZZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Marana Arizona
Posts: 10,603
Thanked 133 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABBYJ View Post
The same GM paint code - WA505Q. See link below.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...915635&rows=50


Edit: Although "not confirmed" in comments column.
CRT/CRM can be found on most GM cars. You'd think they would have tweaked it to fit the lines of this new release.
VETJAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #36  
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Posts: 3,851
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I have no connections at the BG plant like Talon does. But when you go to buy paint, many of the tint coat colors are called "tri coat". I always assumed it to mean base coat, tint coat, clear coat, the extra $1000.00 being for the extra step.
ZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #37  
PGSJOE
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Pinson AL
Posts: 452
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

My 12GS is 89U Claret Red metallic(red jewel tintcoat)
they charge extra because its a Three Stage paint system while most other colors are two stage...base and clear. The three stage paint system has a basecoat, 2nd stage binder that is 80% clear and the metal flake and followed finally the 3rd stage the clearcoat. The "tintcoat" part is the 2nd stage and as stated adds tramendous depth to the color profile. GM has a pearl white that is a 3 stage also.
PGSJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #38  
Reciprocal
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Aurora Colorado
Posts: 905
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

They look different to me. And if one has only a clear and the other has a tinted clear to bring in the base color, then either the base color is different or the tinted clear would not be necessary.
Reciprocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #39  
PGSJOE
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Pinson AL
Posts: 452
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

They get the depth of color by taking all the flake and putting it in the Middle stage, and yes it does have a very dark red - almost flat basecoat - not the same as other meallic reds where the pigment and metal flake are combined in the first stage. If any of you have a red jewel tint/crystal red/red claret metallic and you put it next to another color like the metallic reds there is a night and day difference, but twenty feet seperation and its hard to pick up. you get next to each car and the hue and depth are amazingly evident.
SIKKENS (paint company) makes a 2 stage that is very very close but ppg/dupont/spies-hecker/matrix/glasurit do not. if you have to get any paint match work done keep your eyes peeled and body shops doing repairs may try to blend in an off color because its very hard to prpoerly match that color.
Call ANY auto paint supply store and give them WA505Q and you will get a stage 1 base, Stage 2 binder and have to clear coat over it all.
oh and its freakin expensive too.

Last edited by PGSJOE; 07-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
PGSJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #40  
talon90
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 35,621
Thanked 80 Times in 28 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSJOE View Post
My 12GS is 89U Claret Red metallic(red jewel tintcoat)
they charge extra because its a Three Stage paint system while most other colors are two stage...base and clear. The three stage paint system has a basecoat, 2nd stage binder that is 80% clear and the metal flake and followed finally the 3rd stage the clearcoat. The "tintcoat" part is the 2nd stage and as stated adds tramendous depth to the color profile. GM has a pearl white that is a 3 stage also.
To state this again, the assembly plant does NOT do any 3 stage paint for the Corvette, period. EVERY Corvette that leaves the assembly plant has been painted with a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are conventional clear but NONE are 3 stage with an additional clear. While this is how many body shops will arrive at a color match for these colors, it is not how the assembly plant paints them.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What's Your Favorite C7 Color? z06_Juan C7 General Discussion 63 07-13-2017 07:17 AM
    Any suggestions on removing fine scratches from the tintcoat? p2toy C6 Corvette General Discussion 8 03-12-2017 12:42 PM
    For Sale: CECILAMBERSON C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 0 02-13-2017 08:00 PM
    2015 Crystal Red Tintcoat vs 2017 Long Beach Red Tintcoat Turbo6TA C7 General Discussion 10 01-16-2017 02:13 PM
    Crystal Red tintcoat question Snowwolfe C6 Corvette General Discussion 40 02-25-2013 08:43 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: