Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions

Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM
66dreams
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions

My current C6 has the Z51 package. I bought it because I did not like the soft non Z51 C6 suspension. No flames please. I like a taunt suspension with quicker turn in etc. and hate soft floaty rides. I will definitely buy Z51 but I'm not sure how much MSRC improves performance over Z51.

First question is does the C7 MSRC significantly improve the handling over the C7 with Z51 alone? I would buy it if it really improves handling. I couldn't care less about a soft ride.

Does MSRC work something like the active suspension Lotus brought to F1 many years ago? Minimal body roll, dive and squat.

With Z51 and no MSRC do you still have the different driving mode selections just no shock stiffness variation?

Lastly my Corvettes are daily drivers. How long (miles) are mag shocks supposed to last?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dreams
My current C6 has the Z51 package. I bought it because I did not like the soft non Z51 C6 suspension. No flames please. I like a taunt suspension with quicker turn in etc. and hate soft floaty rides. I will definitely buy Z51 but I'm not sure how much MSRC improves performance over Z51.

First question is does the C7 MSRC significantly improve the handling over the C7 with Z51 alone? I would buy it if it really improves handling. I couldn't care less about a soft ride.

Does MSRC work something like the active suspension Lotus brought to F1 many years ago? Minimal body roll, dive and squat.

With Z51 and no MSRC do you still have the different driving mode selections just no shock stiffness variation?

Lastly my Corvettes are daily drivers. How long (miles) are mag shocks supposed to last?

Thanks
Well, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting a "floaty" ride with the Z51/MR in the C7. That said, my suggestion is always to take a test drive.

MR shocks are well known for rugged reliability and failures (from what I've heard here and other forums) are very, very infrequent.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Well, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting a "floaty" ride with the Z51/MR in the C7. That said, my suggestion is always to take a test drive.

MR shocks are well known for rugged reliability and failures (from what I've heard here and other forums) are very, very infrequent.
From what I understand it's the same system in the 458 and it's anything but "floaty".
Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Sin City
From what I understand it's the same system in the 458 and it's anything but "floaty".
Sorta. As per Ferrari's usual, they're a generation behind with the MSRC that they licensed from GM. The 458's MSRC is Gen2, just like that found in the CTS-Vs, ZR1s, and later Z06s. The new Corvette, along with the ZL1 Camaro are both using the new Gen3 MSRC system. The differences between the two have been cataloged here and elsewhere already. Basically it boils down to: faster and better processing of road imperfections and suspension movement.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Probably a C6 comparison would be a Grand Sport without MRSC is similar to a C7 without MRSC & a GS with MRSC similar to a C7 with MRSC. I have a 2010 GS without F55( wasn't available till 2011) & if I'd known it was coming in 2011, I definitely would have waited. Had F55 on my 2006 C6 & it's a much better suspension on all but mainly smooth road. For me it's a no brainer, get the MRSC ( unless of course if you're a charter member of the super thrifty club & then my guess is the ride on a C7/ no MRSC will likely be similar to what you have now on your Z51 C6).
Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jvp
Sorta. As per Ferrari's usual, they're a generation behind with the MSRC that they licensed from GM. The 458's MSRC is Gen2, just like that found in the CTS-Vs, ZR1s, and later Z06s. The new Corvette, along with the ZL1 Camaro are both using the new Gen3 MSRC system. The differences between the two have been cataloged here and elsewhere already. Basically it boils down to: faster and better processing of road imperfections and suspension movement.
Yes. Correct. But the 458 in bumpy road mode is not "floaty".

One of the best things about the mag shocks is how they work aside from just being a shock absorber. They integrate with the car's set up in real time to improve handling, acceleration, braking, and corning also.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM
66dreams
Pro

What I'm really wondering is does MSRC significantly improve the handling of a Z51 equipped C7. Apparently the answer is no. MSRC reduces the harshness of the Z51 but the damping is only "a touch stiffer" per GMs Josh Holder. See link. To me the Z51 C6 does not ride harshly. I've driven sports cars all my life and the Z51 C6 is the smoothest riding one I've ever had. The base C6 was way too floaty for my taste.

So it seems MSRC on a Z51 equipped C7 gives you great handling without what some would consider a harsh ride.

To sum it up:

Base suspension = competent handling with soft ride.

Base plus MSRC (available on C6 but not C7) = better handing and ride than Base.

Z51 = best handling but not for those who do not like a stiff ride or drive on bad roads.

Z51 plus MSRC = best of both worlds but handling probably only noticeably quicker if you are measuring with a stop watch.

Based on what Josh Holder states I would end up leaving the MSRC in the stiffest setting all the time. The roads around here are pretty smooth and I like a stiff ride.

I do agree MSRC would give a more integrated suspension system in roll, dive, squat but if you like a stiff ride the performance gain in everyday driving would only be "a touch" better.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2014...#axzz2YxeCrHz2
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

What I'm really wondering is does MSRC significantly improve the handling of a Z51 equipped C7. Apparently the answer is no. MSRC reduces the harshness of the Z51 but the damping is only "a touch stiffer" per GMs Josh Holder. See link. To me the Z51 C6 does not ride harshly. I've driven sports cars all my life and the Z51 C6 is the smoothest riding one I've ever had. The base C6 was way too floaty for my taste.

So it seems MSRC on a Z51 equipped C7 gives you great handling without what some would consider a harsh ride.

To sum it up:

Base plus MSRC (available on C6 but not C7) = better handing and ride than Base.

Z51 = best handling but not for those who do not like a stiff ride or drive on bad roads.

Z51 plus MSRC = best of both worlds but handling probably only noticeably quicker if you are measuring with a stop watch.

Based on what Josh Holder states I would end up leaving the MSRC in the stiffest setting all the time. The roads around here are pretty smooth and I like a stiff ride.

I do agree MSRC would give a more integrated suspension system in roll, dive, squat but if you like a stiff ride the performance gain in everyday driving would only be "a touch" better.

GM's in house Engineer/Test Driver Jim Morro seems to state it greatly improves handling and all C7 should come with it, he stated that at the Bash after taking the C7 out on VIR.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Holder also stated, "We look at the active-damper-equipped Z51 as the no-compromises car." So the choice is up to you, either you have compromised the ride or not compromised the ride. MSRC turns quicker lap times so I would have to disagree and say it does significantly improve handling. If you want to save money then order without.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM
66dreams
Pro

Originally Posted by B y r o n
Holder also stated, "We look at the active-damper-equipped Z51 as the no-compromises car." So the choice is up to you, either you have compromised the ride or not compromised the ride. MSRC turns quicker lap times so I would have to disagree and say it does significantly improve handling. If you want to save money then order without.
Do you have test results showing the difference between Z51 and Z51 plus MSRC lap times?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

To sum it up:

Old-school Corvette owners might prefer the non-MRC Z51 if their roads aren't bad. It has a higher front spring rate and bigger rear stabilizer bar (both are softened for the MRC version to allow a better ride in the soft setting). Although the sophisticated electronics of the MRC likely produce superior overall handling, the base Z51 would have less body lean in turns thanks to its higher spring rate and bigger bar. In a long steady-state turn even a stiffened MRC shock will steadily compress and allow more lean compared to the stronger spring and bar. But as the engineers stated, Z51 /MRC provides the best compromise of ride and handling.

Last edited by ZL-1; 07-13-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
66dreams
Pro

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Old-school Corvette owners might prefer the non-MRC Z51 if their roads aren't bad. It has a higher front spring rate and bigger rear stabilizer bar (both are softened for the MRC version to allow a better ride in the soft setting). Although the sophisticated electronics of the MRC likely produce superior overall handling, the base Z51 would have less body lean in turns thanks to its higher spring rate and bigger bar. In a long steady-state turn even a stiffened MRC shock will steadily compress and allow more lean compared to the stronger spring and bar. But as the engineers stated, Z51 /MRC provides the best compromise.

Your response seems the most reasoned. I don't think there is a comparison with hard numbers between Z51 and Z51 with MSRC. It would be great to see it if it exists. Stop watches have no opinion they just measure reality. Since the Z51 shock settings are essentially equal to the hardest MSRC setting all lower MSCR settings will yield lesser handling unless the road surface is bad enough that MSRC can keep the tires better planted. I suspect the real world benefit for the vast majority of Corvette owners is a better ride while maintaining Z51 or slightly better handling. Few of us have the skill (or the guts) to explore that slight difference. GMs test drivers probably do but not me.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Do you have test results showing the difference between Z51 and Z51 plus MSRC lap times?
I don't, but there's a 100% guarantee that the MSRC-equipped car will be faster. Reason: PTM. As of now, there's no way to equip a Corvette with PTM without the MSRC. When you option the Z51 with MSRC, you automatically get PTM included.

Professional drivers can't beat PTM. It actually is just that good.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Since the Z51 shock settings are essentially equal to the hardest MSRC setting all lower MSCR settings will yield lesser handling unless the road surface is bad enough that MSRC can keep the tires better planted. I suspect the real world benefit for the vast majority of Corvette owners is a better ride while maintaining Z51 or slightly better handling. Few of us have the skill (or the guts) to explore that slight difference. GMs test drivers probably do but not me.
Dumb Z51 shocks are not essentially equal to smart MSRC shocks. The firmest shock does not always deliver the best handling. "Ride vs handling" is old-fashioned dumb-shock thinking. And I bet MSRC is more valuable to the less-skilled driver, because it's not subjecting you to jittery response when you find the car out of shape.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I ordered mine with the Z51 only. I had the MSRC on our '03 convert and was not impressed. (yes, I realize it has been significantly improved since then). I currently have an '84 and '05, both with Z51. My '84 I bought new is an early one so does not have the Bilstein shocks. I'm used to the stiff ride for that vehicle type and am fine with it. I tend to keep my vehicles for a number of years and the thought of dealing with failed electronics with the new MSRC was also a consideration.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I don't, but there's a 100% guarantee that the MSRC-equipped car will be faster. Reason: PTM. As of now, there's no way to equip a Corvette with PTM without the MSRC. When you option the Z51 with MSRC, you automatically get PTM included.

Professional drivers can't beat PTM. It actually is just that good.
I don't know if I buy that professional drivers can't beat it. The video I saw on Road & Track showed the "pro" drifting the car as a baseline. That's hardly the fastest way around a track, and not something a pro would do in a race.

Not only that, I don't want more nannies. I want to drive, not have the computer drive for me. This is no fun and learning with nannies.

At some point autonomous cars will be faster than a human driven a car around a track. So on track days, to be the fastest, we will let our car drive itself. The fun will be limited to watching GoPro videos of your car driving itself around the track , but at least it got the fastest lap time. That's what really counts.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-15-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't know if I buy that professional drivers can't beat it.
You don't need to buy it. Ask Mr. Mero. And yes, he's a professional driver. While pushing the ZR1 around the N'Ring, he was quickly changing the PTM in it from Mode 4 to 5 and back again. His choice, of course. He could have just turned it off completely. But the faster way around the track was to have it on.

Every pro driver that's tried it has found themselves faster with it on.

Not only that, I don't want more nannies. I want to drive, not have the computer drive for me. This is no fun and learning with nannies.
PTM isn't a nanny. You can still wipe out with the PTM enabled. The system makes you smoother by allowing you to plant your foot to the floor at the apex of a corner. It manages the torque output to the rear wheels as traction will allow.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions

Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
You don't need to buy it. Ask Mr. Mero. And yes, he's a professional driver. While pushing the ZR1 around the N'Ring, he was quickly changing the PTM in it from Mode 4 to 5 and back again. His choice, of course. He could have just turned it off completely. But the faster way around the track was to have it on.

Every pro driver that's tried it has found themselves faster with it on.

PTM isn't a nanny. You can still wipe out with the PTM enabled. The system makes you smoother by allowing you to plant your foot to the floor at the apex of a corner. It manages the torque output to the rear wheels as traction will allow.
I know Mr. Mero is a heck of a driver, so I'll take your word on that. How many pros are we talking about here?

Call it what you will, nanny or not (I lump all active technologies into the nanny group), "planting your foot to the floor at the apex of a corner" with no consequences does not sound fun to me. Impressive, yes. Fun, no.

Chevy let's people turn it off if they like, so I am not complaining.

However, it is a bit disappointing that lap times are not a reflection of how skilled the driver is, anymore, but how sophisticated the nannies are.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default MSRC Comes With PTM

As all C7's which have MSRC come automatically with performance traction management (PTM), here the video that sold the combined systems to me. Of course you get the added bonus of the Stingray's gen three SRC system being significantly improved over what is demonstrated in the video below.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Michael A
"planting your foot to the floor at the apex of a corner" with no consequences does not sound fun to me. Impressive, yes. Fun, no.
It's clear you haven't tried it yet, and that's fine. You're debating the subject with someone that actually has been using it for the last 3+ years. It is fun. And there are consequences if you screw up.

Calling it a nanny is just plain ignorant, regardless of how you justify it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions