Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exceptionally well said, Stingray Sam!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

You cannot always change the perspectives or way people feel about things.

Some people will hate the car. Others will love it. Share your opinion respectfully, some will agree with you while others will disagree. Regardless of how they feel, what is most important is your feelings toward, in this case, the Corvette. How do YOU feel about the car? I think OP stated his opinion very well. Some will agree others will not. Continue to move forward and enjoy YOUR life and YOUR car.

Just don't forget to wave.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I'll play and keep in mind I have seen the car in person.

1. Expectations - this is the fault of the Corvette spoiling the auto world with it's progression of the C5 and C6. In both those we got:

- Lighter than the previous generation - This is a step backward that the C7 is heavier. I don't care what the excuse is. I really don't.

- Substantial bump in HP +/- around 50 over the outgoing model with the exception of the one off 1996 C4 Engine. WIth all the talk of DI and a new Generation engine I think everyone was expecting more than a 24hp increase. C6 at intro gained 50HP with no DI.

- Much needed size reduction in length on the C6

2. Looks

- 3/4 of the car is pretty attractive especially the front. The hatch gets the much needed revamp that is way overdue and is actually the most radical design element introduced to almost no consternation.

BUT:

- The rear end is a mess. - It is not like pop up headlights in the C6. The concept of the non pop up headlights was a point of contention more than the actual design of them.

Also no one compared them to the visual stylings of lesser Chevrolet models that also start with a "C" and end in "amaro". Unifying the design language of the Corvette so it has familial resemblance to the Malibu, Traverse or the other C car, is and will always be a bad idea. Corvette has been on it's own island for about 4 decades in the Chevy lineup and should have remained that way.

Embracing what made you an icon is part of what makes you an icon. Running away from it makes a mess.

3. Propaganda

- It irks me how IMO they are telling us how all these deficiencies are so great. Especially when the C7 is two years late to the party. Heavier is not better nor is having skinnier tires - it amazes me the audacity to spin weight gain as not negative to a sports car.

- More Efficient! - Duh! Isn't that the point of DI - wouldn't it be even more efficient if it where lighter?

- Going for the "younger" buyer agenda. Did not work for Nissan and the GTR - buying a $59 copy of GT4 for the Playstation does not mean you can buy a $59,000+ car. And what is sad it there are hints of GTR design elements all over the C7. Pandering to the audience that did NOT buy the GTR - brilliant.

- On the forum C7 criticism is met with "hater" and "jealous" tags that are for the most part incorrect or childish. Many of us here could go out and buy a C7 today if we wanted to. I had no problem dumping my C5 Z06 for the C6Z06 as it was a better car and better looking in every way.

Many of the critiques of the C6 during it's run got us a better more refined car as the model matured. The notion that GM is deaf to criticism is just more BS.

The good news is GM can put their big boy pants on and fix these things on the upcoming Hi-Po (Z06) model - Make it lighter, faster wider and please, please fix that horrid rear end.

If they do not step up I fear it will get even uglier around here.

Save all the puffed up defense and attacks - It's not your first born - He asked and I answered.

Well stated!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
The bully on the playground has always had an inferiority complex. The detractors, or "trolls" here can't buy one so they're going to "pick it apart" to justify their fail. Some comments are just expressing opinions and that's good. Others, like BETTERMOSTCORVETTE are just that little kid that needs ignored.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

If anyone wants to teleport into the future about 7/8 years, I'll bet you'll be able to come back and tell us how the usual suspects are all whining about how horrible the C8 is, how good the C7 was, and how GM screwed up this and that.

Don't care what they think now, and I doubt I'll care what they think when we are talking about the C8.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 89L98
Most of the whining/bitching is coming from C6 owners that somehow feel they and their Cars are diminished by the advent of a newer/better Vette. Instead of celebrating a whole new chapter in the story of the Vette, they chose to pick nits. In a few MYs I predict that most, if not all, will extoling the virtues of their new C7.
Way off the mark. As I have said before, I think the C7 is a good car. But I like the C6 better. I just do. In fact, only thing I would want from the C7, is the aluminum frame.

But the C7 isn't really being marketed to C6 owners like myself,
because most of our cars are still too new for change anyway.
So the average C6 owner isn't too likely to care about GM claims
of "new" Euro-styling, younger buyers, more gadgets, etc.

C7 buyers also appear to care a lot more about image than earlier Corvette owners.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The critics need to see this:

Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The half of the world that sees the glass half empty has more drive to state their negative perspective.

It's unfortunately human nature for the majority of people....

In this case the car is literally a transportation device.q
I truthfully don't believe that is what is driving the comments on the forum. I think what is human nature is to look at something as complex as a car and talk about the aspects of it that we are disappointed with. To me that is not looking at it as half empty, it's just stating where it stands on our wish list.

If we never saw the car and didn't know anything about it until it hit the showroom floors, and we already saw several road tests on, I think the attitude would be different. If we already knew the 1/4 mile times, VIR track times, gas mileage, comfort of the seats etc we would not be as likely to complain about the looks of the back end and other negatives.

But when they feed information out in small increments over a seven month span of time, we are just naturally going to critique what slivers of information we are seeing. Just show me the back end and I'll tell you want I think of the back end. Then just tell me that it only has 14 more HP than the C6 and I'll tell you what I think of that.....
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I lament the C7 because, compared to our C6, it is:
Longer
Wider
Heavier
Poorer visibility
Those are all things I don't want in a sports car or even a Grand Touring machine.
When I saw the 1968 Corvette (C3) and its reviews, I kissed it off and started looking to buy a used 1967 (C2) as my first Corvette.

The C7 has many other nice features, and those might be enough to make me buy one. But I lament the fact that GM is, for my taste, taking the car in the wrong direction.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? Because it looks like a pimp-mobile, that's why. A disaster.

But do you really care what I think?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rboineau
Why? Because it looks like a pimp-mobile, that's why. A disaster.

But do you really care what I think?
Not sure of your definition of a "pimp mobile" but I would put this way before the C7.

West Coast Butchery.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Sin City; 07-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:17 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

- On the forum C7 criticism is met with "hater" and "jealous" tags that are for the most part incorrect or childish. Many of us here could go out and buy a C7 today if we wanted to. I had no problem dumping my C5 Z06 for the C6Z06 as it was a better car and better looking in every way.
I will be buying the C7 when the performance version arrives. I have likes and dislikes about the direction the car is going overall. Obviously some who criticize the car have agenda's and are being disingenuous. Many on this forum are very thin skinned and have such ego's that making comments, lacking praise for the car, a personal attack on them. I am real excited about the engine. Some of the problems are the unrealistic suggestions that this car will be within a whisker of the C6z on the track and that insults the intelligence of those of us who actually track our cars and know how much tires, suspension settings etc. affect what the car is capable of. I believe the C7 is going to be a great car but I will bet a bunch that there are going to be big disappointments for those with unrealistic expectations...after all it will just be a car.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

porsche as a whole... dropped about 200 lbs and stiffened their chassis.

The gt3 911 weighs less than the previous z06... thats a big deal.

The gt3rs, will most likely be sub 3000 lbs.

Corvette didnt go forward... they went backwards.

Thats what the gripe is about, and come lemans time, you'll find out its a big deal.

And if you are already running carbon body work and an aluminum frame... theres not much easy weight to shave in the z06 and zr1 models. Infact, they have to get heavier due to wheels, brakes, blowers, etc, all adding weight.

If you like losing to porsche, then yes, please, applaud and smile.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I really don't know why I'm reading this thread. I have actually begun to ignore threads such as these.

I happen to really like the new Stingray, a lot. I am even buying it sight unseen as a new Corvette purchaser. I don't particularly care for someone questioning my judgment. It's my money, my opinion and my decision. That's all that matters.

Listening to people "take this car apart" is not something that I'm interested in. It's not what I'm looking for on this forum, thus my practice of trying to ignore these threads. I actually came here several months ago to get information about availability, purchasing, engineering features, early pics and videos, etc. Not opinions from armchair amateur engineers, wannabe racers and self-styled critics on the sidelines.

Anybody can hate. That's just the nature of the human condition. It's a pity.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by irun4cops

Corvette didnt go forward... they went backwards.

If you like losing to porsche, then yes, please, applaud and smile.
I thought the only thing that mattered were performance numbers. Losing to Porsche? How? $57 k versus $80+ K? How is that losing?

I think you would be happy if the C7 weighed 2900 lbs but had a 300 HP V6 and went 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds.

Hey! It's got a stiff chassis and weighs less! Yippee!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Is the c7 a movement in a positive direction in many aspects? Yes.

I have one on order, first batch.

I own 2 other vettes, both z06, one a c5 one a c6, both 1000hp.

And i will take this car appart.

And i do know what im talking about

And i do race.

And i am disappointed they didnt step forward in all directions.

Porsche lost weight. Chevy gained weight. Its that simple folks.

I will probably have one of the first turbo charged c7s on planet earth...

So please, give people the benefit of the doubt before you start preaching.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sin City
I thought the only thing that mattered were performance numbers. Losing to Porsche? How? $57 k versus $80+ K? How is that losing?

I think you would be happy if the C7 weighed 2900 lbs but had a 300 HP V6 and went 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds.

Hey! It's got a stiff chassis and weighs less! Yippee!
the base 911 S is doing 0-60 a half second faster than the c7.

The turbo will be sub 3 seconds. The gt3rs will probably be about 3 sec as well.

What are you talking about? v6 and 0-60s in 5.1?

Come back when you know what you are talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Why oh why is the C7 so lamented

Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

porsches 4.0 gt3rs motor... a 6 cylinder... made 500hp... on their PREVIOUS generation car.

They have a BETTER 6 cylinder coming.

Welcome to 2013.

Sorry road and track is so difficult for you to understand.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

and i also have a gt3rs on order.

See, they go UP in value... when they are used.

There is a reason.

They sell for 180g and then go up past 200g instantly the day you drive it off the lot because nothing on planet earth can seem to touch the car on the road course for the money.

The carbon edition z06s were getting there... and then chevy went the wrong way. And got heavier.

Its not rocket science.

Of course we are going to bitch.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Dude. Do you smoke weed? If so, take a hit. If not, I suggest you start.

It's just a car. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why oh why is the C7 so lamented