C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be putting a film on it. I just don't know which one and from where. I was quoted $1500 for the 3M stuff from Sticker City for doing the full hood, fenders and mirrors.

I'm thinking that's a rip off based on the comments on this page.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Never heard of Vista film either... are you sure its a paint protection film? Sounds like you are a tint guy... because Bekaert does not hold much of a market share in the PPF industry. In fact I have only heard of a couple of people installing their film... and neither of them liked it.

Using a spray wax on the film makes is shine just as paint does and it makes getting bugs, bird droppings, and other contaminates that much easier to get off.

Suntek and Xpel DO have self healing films... they work... and many people on this forum have had it installed and are happy with it.

I was just a little taken by your comment " I know more on here than pretty much everyone...". That's a really bold statement ESPECIALLY if you do flat glass. That's like me saying I am an expert mechanic because I install PPF. And yes I own my own business and do a lot of research to stay up to date on new films... but I NEVER say I know more than anyone. Arrogance doesn't really come across very well.
Like sureshot said... FO. I said "I'm new here to CF but I likely have more knowledge of films than anyone else here. Except you, I'm sure." Most film installers that I've hired and/or interviewed are drunks and addicts.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes! I'm guessing $1,000 - 1,200.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
Like sureshot said... FO. I said "I'm new here to CF but I likely have more knowledge of films than anyone else here. Except you, I'm sure." Most film installers that I've hired and/or interviewed are drunks and addicts.
Wow business must be good if your hiring drunks and addicts. Nice to see someone with your high level of expertise (and a business owner) will come out and make such broad generalizations about people who install PPF. Your making yourself look great in the forum quickly. By the way I am neither a drunk or addict, just a retired Air Force veteran who decided to go into business for myself.

Hey you are the one that came in and made a ridiculous statement; first in saying you knew more than anyone else and second the films you recommended are terrible. I also noticed we haven't seen a website link or anything to back up your claims... still waiting.

And sure I know what FO means. I love that people like yourself are so bold to make that statement over the key board. Im sure things would be different in person. But since you don't show any information about yourself in your profile we will never know... except that your very cocky, ignorant to the PPF industry, and a poor judge of character by who you have supposedly hired.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'll be putting a film on it. I just don't know which one and from where. I was quoted $1500 for the 3M stuff from Sticker City for doing the full hood, fenders and mirrors.

I'm thinking that's a rip off based on the comments on this page.
I used to know the guys down at Stickercity because I started installing in the SoCal area. I am surprised to see they are installing 3M. But I will say you are very fortunate that you have access to so many good installers in your area. There are quiet a few listed on the Xpel installer directory site for your area.

http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_ins...each-Santa_Ana

if you need any that offer Suntek let me know and I will be happy to give you some info.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Looks like a ClearBra on a C7 will be a challenge to get a good install. It has too many quick changes in shapes to make large one piece fit good.... may have to have multi sections with seams.... Anyway, when we get one, it will have a CB in appropriate areas.

Also, it looks like soft bra makers such as SL will have a real tough time matching those same "quick changes" .... I wish good luck to them as Rich is a top notch guy with a top quality accessory ....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Trefo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
It looks like the new Vette will be pretty prone to stone chips. Is anyone putting a clear bra on the C7? Any ideas on price?
I won't. I think they are cool, but its a personal choice. I have a 12' GS and I just wax the **** out of the front end and someday will just have it sprayed if I need to. I just don't like how they look after the first 6 months.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I used to know the guys down at Stickercity because I started installing in the SoCal area. I am surprised to see they are installing 3M. But I will say you are very fortunate that you have access to so many good installers in your area. There are quiet a few listed on the Xpel installer directory site for your area.

http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_ins...each-Santa_Ana

if you need any that offer Suntek let me know and I will be happy to give you some info.
I've read mixed reviews about Stickercity. But there does seem to be a good list of high-end installers here.

I just checked out Suntek's website. I'm not sure what makes theirs better than the others. I would like to do know what their cost is as compared to the others. They have a "competitors guide" but it doesn't actually have any information in it other than the names and products of their competitors. LOL
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I just replaced XPEL with Suntek on my 09 Z. The XPEL had got milky looking. I used the same installer and he told me on dark cars which mine is black that this does a much better job. I have to agree this looks better than the XPEL ever did even when it was new.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oleman
I just replaced XPEL with Suntek on my 09 Z. The XPEL had got milky looking. I used the same installer and he told me on dark cars which mine is black that this does a much better job. I have to agree this looks better than the XPEL ever did even when it was new.
You stated this twice. LOL

When I read it just now, I thought, "Wait a sec... I read this post before..."
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I've read mixed reviews about Stickercity. But there does seem to be a good list of high-end installers here.

I just checked out Suntek's website. I'm not sure what makes theirs better than the others. I would like to do know what their cost is as compared to the others. They have a "competitors guide" but it doesn't actually have any information in it other than the names and products of their competitors. LOL
Between the two they are very similar although I think Suntek is a little smoother (both are very smooth) and the self healing top coat is excellent with Suntek.

As far as pricing it is impossible to list pricing as it is all over the place. Factors usually depend on location, films offered, type of install (custom vs precut), reputation of the installer, along with several other factors. As far as material all films are going to be fairly close in price when buying bulk rolls. But installation prices are all over the board. For example an average price (locally) for a C6 partial hood, partial fenders, full bumper, lights ,and mirrors is around $700. But I have heard of some guys charging upwards of $1500 for the same install. Its just really hard to predict what the pricing is going to be. My best advice is to ask around in the area and find out who is happy with their install, look at it in person, find out who did it with what film, and go from there.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Between the two they are very similar although I think Suntek is a little smoother (both are very smooth) and the self healing top coat is excellent with Suntek.

As far as pricing it is impossible to list pricing as it is all over the place. Factors usually depend on location, films offered, type of install (custom vs precut), reputation of the installer, along with several other factors. As far as material all films are going to be fairly close in price when buying bulk rolls. But installation prices are all over the board. For example an average price (locally) for a C6 partial hood, partial fenders, full bumper, lights ,and mirrors is around $700. But I have heard of some guys charging upwards of $1500 for the same install. Its just really hard to predict what the pricing is going to be. My best advice is to ask around in the area and find out who is happy with their install, look at it in person, find out who did it with what film, and go from there.
Damn! I was hoping to avoid researching. LOL!

No, but really, I'll definitely be doing my homework on this. It's a big deal and I'd like to get the entire car covered, not just the usual spots. The reason for this is that on occasion, my car gets egged or keyed. I don't know why and it has nothing to do with my parking or where I am. It's happened all over the place. Even at a car show.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Venom,

You ever consider coming up to Wichita for a few days and doing several cars? There is nobody serving this market with any expertise.

Just a thought.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Venom,

You ever consider coming up to Wichita for a few days and doing several cars? There is nobody serving this market with any expertise.

Just a thought.
I've been I able to coax him to Little Rock several times - he has done 6 cars for me and is a fantastic installer.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No - actually I thought I would do something tasteful, yet sexy, in lace with a bit of under-wire and scalloped cups . . . . . .
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

No - actually I thought I would do something tasteful, yet sexy, in lace with a bit of under-wire and scalloped cups . . . . . .
ROFLMAO
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

no.

50k miles on the car now.

I have a few chips in the middle of my hood and none to speak of on my front bumper. Never touched up either. I don't like the look of any see through aftermarket plastic coating on the car. Wax and detailer for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Clear Bra Spray on Film

Everyone needs some protection from the small rock chips and the ugly "bug guts".

There is also an inexpensive alternative to the normal clear bra wrap for people that don't want the $1,000 install price of the normal clear wrap..... And if you like tinkering and doing some things yourself on your car, you can do it yourself for Free labor.

The C7 has some sharp angled lines on the car and may have some difficult areas to wrap with the normal clear wrap... I've also seen some bad areas on several other wrap jobs, along with some cut marks in the paint from the blade during the install.

If you want to try the alternative, 3M makes the Clear Bra protection in "spray on form" also (3M Paint Defender Spray Film)..... And it is removable anytime you want to pull it off... Autozone carries it.

Some front bumper protection on the C7 would be a good idea to help prevent small rock chips, sand blasting, and to stop the hated "bug guts" from getting on the paint...

Another area that could use some clear film protection is the bottom rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheels that sticks out. That area that sticks out may tend to get some sand blasting from the roads... Either way, some paint protection would be a good idea.

Name:  1a3mspray.png
Views: 333
Size:  276.9 KB

Name:  paint-defender-videofgbd.png
Views: 319
Size:  255.4 KB

Last edited by jr3; 07-18-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Everyone needs some protection from the small rock chips and the ugly "bug guts".

There is also an inexpensive alternative to the normal clear bra wrap for people that don't want the $1,000 install price of the normal clear wrap..... And if you like tinkering and doing some things yourself on your car, you can do it yourself for Free labor.

The C7 has some sharp angled lines on the car and may have some difficult areas to wrap with the normal clear wrap... I've also seen some bad areas on several other wrap jobs, along with some cut marks in the paint from the blade during the install.

If you want to try the alternative, 3M makes the Clear Bra protection in "spray on form" also (3M Paint Defender Spray Film)..... And it is removable anytime you want to pull it off... Autozone carries it.

Some front bumper protection on the C7 would be a good idea to help prevent small rock chips, sand blasting, and to stop the hated "bug guts" from getting on the paint...

Another area that could use some clear film protection is the bottom rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheels that sticks out. That area that sticks out may tend to get some sand blasting from the roads... Either way, some paint protection would be a good idea.

It is a given that anyone who begins a Post by saying "Everyone needs some protection" and uses the word "Protection" 4 times in a single post - either works for Trojan Condoms, teaches Health Class to pubescent boys or is doin every Debbie in Dallas
Old 07-18-2013, 03:30 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
It is a given that anyone who begins a Post by saying "Everyone needs some protection" and uses the word "Protection" 4 times in a single post - either works for Trojan Condoms, teaches Health Class to pubescent boys or is doin every Debbie in Dallas

We got to "protect" the Stingray from getting a "rash"

Quick Reply: Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?