C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
It is a given that anyone who begins a Post by saying "Everyone needs some protection" and uses the word "Protection" 4 times in a single post - either works for Trojan Condoms, teaches Health Class to pubescent boys or is doin every Debbie in Dallas
Actually it was 5 times.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Actually it was 5 times.
Wow! You certainly are a details guy!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM
rixvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas Venom,

Thanks for the info and help. Do you know of a Suntek installer in Minnesota?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Wow! You certainly are a details guy!
All in good fun.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
mrrrkva
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

The guy here does the standard job for $600 and the entire hood and fenders so you dont see any seams for $1000. He does thay with xpel. He doesnt do the corvette lights. he says that if you ever have to take it off the lights of the corvette that it makes a mess because of the film that gm uses in thier lights.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Everyone needs some protection from the small rock chips and the ugly "bug guts".

There is also an inexpensive alternative to the normal clear bra wrap for people that don't want the $1,000 install price of the normal clear wrap..... And if you like tinkering and doing some things yourself on your car, you can do it yourself for Free labor.

The C7 has some sharp angled lines on the car and may have some difficult areas to wrap with the normal clear wrap... I've also seen some bad areas on several other wrap jobs, along with some cut marks in the paint from the blade during the install.

If you want to try the alternative, 3M makes the Clear Bra protection in "spray on form" also (3M Paint Defender Spray Film)..... And it is removable anytime you want to pull it off... Autozone carries it.

Some front bumper protection on the C7 would be a good idea to help prevent small rock chips, sand blasting, and to stop the hated "bug guts" from getting on the paint...

Another area that could use some clear film protection is the bottom rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheels that sticks out. That area that sticks out may tend to get some sand blasting from the roads... Either way, some paint protection would be a good idea.

If you read the instructions, 3M says to reapply their film every year. Also I read reviews on Amazon that say you get a lot of dripping from the nozzle and it does not even out when dry. When it is in the process of drying, contaminants get embedded in film. I would stay away from this product.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
If you read the instructions, 3M says to reapply their film every year. Also I read reviews on Amazon that say you get a lot of dripping from the nozzle and it does not even out when dry. When it is in the process of drying, contaminants get embedded in film. I would stay away from this product.
The "dripping" problem has been reported fixed, but like you, I won't mess with the stuff.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Nothing wrong with putting a brand new coat on every year or two. Especially if your just doing the front end to protect the front bumper. That way it stays new and fresh, and doesnt turn yellow over time like some of the other clear bras.

At only $25 it basicly costs nothing... Kinda like having a free clear bra.

I guess its like any spray on product like paint or clear coat,.. Your prep work and surface cleanliness is important.... If your sloppy and spray any paint or clear coat in a dirty area, you could get dirt in your paint or clear coat.

It may not be for everyone, but just sharing the info. in case anyone is interested.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by jr3
All in good fun.
Yeah I know, just having some fun there meself.

As far as the clear bra, I'm considering having the entire car done by a certain well-known installer in the Bay Area that does many high $$ supercars and such. I figure in doing the front half or so, might was well do the whole thing and get 100% protection in the process. I want a custom installation, too. These guys to such a great job its hard to find any seams- they really have it down to an art, and the material they use is pretty much invisible. Also going to do UV rejection on all the glass.

YMMV.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Bay Area as in ??

Are you talking NorCal? Who and where? Don't want to get into specifics as I lucked out but found out I have a tentative TWP of Aug 13 and now I'm really getting antsy!!!!!!:rock :
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Installers are a dime a dozen. Finding one that's sober and has more than 10 years experience is another.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
Are you talking NorCal? Who and where? Don't want to get into specifics as I lucked out but found out I have a tentative TWP of Aug 13 and now I'm really getting antsy!!!!!!:rock :
PM responded to, bruddah.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3

If you want to try the alternative, 3M makes the Clear Bra protection in "spray on form" also (3M Paint Defender Spray Film)..... And it is removable anytime you want to pull it off... Autozone carries it.

Some front bumper protection on the C7 would be a good idea to help prevent small rock chips, sand blasting, and to stop the hated "bug guts" from getting on the paint...

Another area that could use some clear film protection is the bottom rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheels that sticks out. That area that sticks out may tend to get some sand blasting from the roads... Either way, some paint protection would be a good idea.

Has anyone tried this product?

On things drying in it, perhaps they shouldn't spray it on in the driveway. Maybe in the garage, with ventilation.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

hi guys just heard about this clear bra thing, so it's worth it huh and it works? you guys all got it on your cars? thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'll be matte finish wrapping my car entirely, immediately upon delivery...unless something I like more comes out between now and then.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Going braless, baby.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
It looks like the new Vette will be pretty prone to stone chips. Is anyone putting a clear bra on the C7? Any ideas on price?
I did it on my 11 GS and it covered the nose, entire hood, lower front fenders, lower door and rockers and just behind the rear door. $1,300. Most people don't even realize the car has clear bra on it. The car is torch red.

The said my 14 stingray will be about the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to take big dark cloth sheets and attach them all over the car. That way all the automobile magazines and websites will take pictures of me everywhere I go. And I won't have to worry about the paint job.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM
jdb1218
Advanced

I was planning on using a local installer from XPel. I haven't called for a quote though, since they probably haven't seen a C7 yet. I'm nervous about being the first one done at any installer.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

nice sounds like this clear bra is a great investment and it is totally worth it and it works.

So the paint is always brand new or close to it then? since there is a clear bra around it. So how do you wash the car? don't need to wax it right? just water and soap to clean it and that's it?

How often do you need to replace it? 5 years? small ding and small rocks the clear bra will take the damage and won't show in the paint? how much damage/deep scratch can the clear bra take? thanks

Quick Reply: Is anyone going to put a Clear bra on your C7?