Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this age discrimination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh! There was more to this thread... He'll, I was still staring at the backside of Racer's daughter.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GatMix07C6
Recently I was at a car show that had the C7 on display and also someone signing posters.

There was a line of about 10 people when I got there and it was moving rather slow. The reason it was moving slow is because the gentleman signing the posters would ask the persons name, what kind of car they own and just general Corvette conversation. I thought it was cool that be was taking time with each person like that. Keep in mind that it was a predominately older crowd. I would say easily 15-20 years older than me.

As I am waiting my turn, I ask my wife how we should have the poster made out because he is asking everyone before he signs. We decided that just my name would be fine.

When I approached him, I said "Hi. How are you today?"

About 5-10 seconds later I was handed a poster with his name on it. I took it and walked away.

The first words out of my wife's mouth were "That was rude. He didn't even acknowledge you."

I honestly felt the same way that she did. We immediately felt that it was because our age. I am early 30's and she is mid 20's.

Her feelings were that this guys didn't give us the time of day because he didn't think we would be able to buy one.

I purchased my C6 brand new and my C7 is on order but it did irritate the both of us.
Nope, thats just thinking to much into it.

Many people signing autos. really could care less who you are or what you are. They're just going through the motions to get through the event. Many times the people signing dont even remember what they say to people. Dont take it seriously at all, no big deal. You got your poster thats all that matters.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Age discrimination? No.

Sex discrimination? Quite possibly!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Nope, thats just thinking to much into it.

Many people signing autos. really could care less who you are or what you are. They're just going through the motions to get through the event. Many times the people signing dont even remember what they say to people. Dont take it seriously at all, no big deal. You got your poster thats all that matters.

I am sure you are right. Either way I will enjoy the car the same.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Originally Posted by Sin City
Age discrimination? No.

Sex discrimination? Quite possibly!!!!
That makes more sense...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

It has NOTHING to do with age... cradle robber!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
It has NOTHING to do with age... cradle robber!

Mid 20's and Early 30's? Is it that bad?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Unless wife pics, who cares
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The gent signing was simply allowing us older guys time to stand still and relive ourselves into our Depends . . . . so you have that to look forward to
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Why did I even click to come into this ridiculous thread..............lesson learned.

Truer words were never said. However, since I am posting in this ridiculous thread, IMO the OP and his Wife are a tad too thin skinned. On the other hand with the right Lawyer there could be some monetary compensation coming their way.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Truer words were never said. However, since I am posting in this ridiculous thread, IMO the OP and his Wife are a tad too thin skinned. On the other hand with the right Lawyer there could be some monetary compensation coming their way.
Need to see the Skinny 20 year old wife Dammit!

Crap...just saw "thin skinned".
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It could be that a handler tapped the guy on the shoulder and told him to speed it up.

But you should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was flummoxed by your wife's youthful beauty.

The lesson here: never miss an opportunity to toss a compliment in her direction.

.Jinx
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Need to see the Skinny 20 year old wife Dammit!
Nobody ever mentioned skinny...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
It could be that a handler tapped the guy on the shoulder and told him to speed it up.

But you should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was flummoxed by your wife's youthful beauty.

The lesson here: never miss an opportunity to toss a compliment in her direction.

.Jinx

Good point Jinx. I missed that opportunity.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GatMix07C6
Nobody ever mentioned skinny...
Yeah, saw that after I posted.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray23
dont sweat it. They'll be dead before you know it.
lol!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 AM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I'm probably older than most of the people you were standing in line with. The only thing I can say is, dump the 20 something wife and you'll get the respect you deserve. Then send me her phone number.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this age discrimination?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986C4Z51
Sounds like I'm probably older than most of the people you were standing in line with. The only thing I can say is, dump the 20 something wife and you'll get the respect you deserve. Then send me her phone number.

I'm suprised the guy signing didn't write his number on the poster and hand it to the wife.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

From Corvette Online, Jim Bell of Chevrolet PR pretty much lays out the objectives for the C7:

CO: I’m sure you’re aware of the mixed reaction to the styling of the Stingray’s tail end, which seems to be the only cosmetic aspect of the car that’s not a pure home run. Is that something that’s up for review for the next update of the C7, or do you think it’s just a case of people not being used to it yet?

Bell: “The whole focus and purpose of this car was to change perceptions, to move the Corvette into a new space. To be very blunt, we expected more criticism than we’ve received. Among younger buyers, they love the way it looks, especially at nighttime. These taillights have a depth and kind of a richness to them – they kind of look like red crystal with light behind them. I don’t think you’re going to see any changes there; this is really going to be the signature look for the Corvette, and the signature look for Chevrolet. Don’t forget that the Corvette is the flagship for the brand. We can’t mess with that too much going forward.”

IOW, don't hold your breath on seeing round taillights.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
From Corvette Online, Jim Bell of Chevrolet PR pretty much lays out the objectives for the C7:

CO: I’m sure you’re aware of the mixed reaction to the styling of the Stingray’s tail end, which seems to be the only cosmetic aspect of the car that’s not a pure home run. Is that something that’s up for review for the next update of the C7, or do you think it’s just a case of people not being used to it yet?

Bell: “The whole focus and purpose of this car was to change perceptions, to move the Corvette into a new space. To be very blunt, we expected more criticism than we’ve received. Among younger buyers, they love the way it looks, especially at nighttime. These taillights have a depth and kind of a richness to them – they kind of look like red crystal with light behind them. I don’t think you’re going to see any changes there; this is really going to be the signature look for the Corvette, and the signature look for Chevrolet. Don’t forget that the Corvette is the flagship for the brand. We can’t mess with that too much going forward.”

IOW, don't hold your breath on seeing round taillights.

I love them and I'm glad they made the departure from the round tail lights. It's progress. And by doing what they've done, they're able to utilize LED technology in a more stylish way. These tail lights are unique. No other car has anything like them.

Quick Reply: Is this age discrimination?